• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

He did not keep us out of war

MarkOttawa

Army.ca Fixture
Inactive
Fallen Comrade
Reaction score
Jean Chrétien, that is. Russia and France did. A letter of mine in the Ottawa Citizen:

Decision by default
http://www.canada.com/components/print.aspx?id=b1b3ced1-0094-4b9f-86fd-30a855fd5d53&sponsor=

Saturday, October 11, 2008

Re: Liberal ad links Harper, Bush, Oct. 6.
http://www.canada.com/ottawacitizen/news/story.html?id=9c02edab-130b-4871-ab6f-9a4753222d28

The Liberal ad says: "Remember how proud you felt when the Liberals told Bush 'no way' on Iraq." That was not what happened at all.

Prime Minister Jean Chrétien made no independent decision not to take part in the Iraq war. He simply said Canada would go along with whatever the UN Security Council authorized.
http://www.globalpolicy.org/security/issues/iraq/attack/2003/0218Canada.htm
The council did not authorize an attack and no vote was even held because of certain French and Russian vetoes. The Canadian government then said "no" definitively because there was no UN resolution -- the decision was made by default.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20030318.ucana0318/BNStory/politics

In other words, a vital decision of Canadian foreign policy was put into the hands of France and Russia. Some brave, independent, policy. Yet somehow the myth has taken hold that Mr. Chrétien courageously stood up to George W. Bush and on his own kept us out of war. A myth the Liberals are now relying on to help save their election campaign.

Mark Collins, Ottawa

Mark
Ottawa

Actually, what I remember most about the Jean Chrétien years was the total lack of decision making.  I remember those years as the years when if there was a major problem, the Chrétien government would simply try its best to ignore it and wait until it went away or it was forgotten.  That seemed the method by which they 'solved' all problems.

Don't worry.........Be Happy.

But Stephen Harper changed the mission and turned us from Jean Chreteins boyscouts peacekeepers into right-wing neanderthal war mongers! ::)

Liberals can't really be that stupid, can they? (Rhetorical question)

I have heard on the rumour net that:

• Chrétien’s initial reaction to 9/11 was “they (the Americans) are reaping what they sowed in the Middle East. It’s too bad, the loss of life is tragic, but it was inevitable and they had this coming;”

• Most (but by no means all) of his cabinet, let by John Manley, then ‘Minister of Almost Everything,’ demanded that Canada do something – Chrétien agreed that Canada would vote “Yes’ at NATO on invoking Article 5;

• After the HUGE demonstration on Parliament Hill at the 9/11 memorial service – the largest in Canadian history - Chrétien did a 180° and decided to offer a battle group for service in Afghanistan;

• For good and valid administrative and logistical reasons and because he understood, intuitively, tCanadian public opinion would turn back towards knee-jerk anti-Americanism, Chrétien limited our contribution to one battle group for one, and only one six month tour of duty;

• The Americans were happy: good ol’ reliable Canada stepped up, early, and put a shoulder to he wheel and so on – all was done that could be asked by the White House and Foggy Bottom;

• The ‘friendly fire’ deaths of Sgt Leger, Cpls Dyer and Green and Pte Smith of 3PPCLI proved that Chrétien well understood his fellow citizens. The country was convulsed by paroxysms of anti-American rage. The government did nothing to discourage this – in fact it encouraged an entirely disproportionately publicized ‘memorial’ service;*

• The real problems began with the invasion of Iraq. Officials in DFAIT and DND told Chrétien, Manley and Himelfarb hat the White House and the Pentagon wanted a solid Canadian military contribution. Chrétien was opposed – he knew that Canadians deeply disliked George W Bush (hated would not be too strong a word) and he understood that it would be political suicide to join Bush in any aggressive war in the Middle East. We later learned that Washington probably neither sought nor even really wanted Canadian troops. What was wanted was Canadian moral support, preferably active approval in the UN but, at least, quiet acquiescence. Had Bill Clinton been invading Iraq it is highly likely that he would have personally phoned his friend Jean Chrétien, explained what he wanted, at minimum, and would have been happy to get Chrétien’s quick, easy agreement. But Clinton wasn’t the president and so communications remained broken and Chrétien – who may well have believed his DFAIT and DND officials – looked around for a way to say no without provoking Washington’s wrath;

• Afghanistan, the bureaucrats opined, offered a neat, tidy way out. We could join the European led ISAF – Canadians always prefer Europeans to Americans. We could send enough troops so that we could say, honestly, that we were ‘all tapped out’ – the Pentagon would confirm that was true. John McCallum, then Minister of National Defence, was sent, cap in hand, to Brussels to seek a major, leadership role for Canada in ISAF – he needed to ‘beg’ because we did not have the minimum resources (which included a general hospital and a capacity to operate a major airfield) that the Europeans had decided, amongst themselves, would be the duties of the ‘leading’ country;

• The Europeans – even the Brits – were sympathetic and a deal was done. In Aug 03 Canadian troops began deploying to Kabul; and

• In 2005 another Liberal government, this time Paul Martin’s, decided to move the Canadian contribution to Kandahar – they (Martin and his ministers and the Clerk) were neither hoodwinked nor coerced, they decided.  We all know the rest.

That’s the story, as I have heard it. I believe it is, substantially, true and accurate, but I wasn’t in the room and few who were have ever gone ‘on the record’ about who said what to whom. The few exceptions, Eugene Lang for example, have their own personal and political agendas.

------------------
* Please note: I’m saying that the service was disproportionately publicized, NOT that it, the service, proper, was in any way disproportionate in and of itself

Edit: formatting

2 Cdo said:
But Stephen Harper changed the mission and turned us from Jean Chreteins boyscouts peacekeepers into right-wing neanderthal war mongers! ::)

Liberals can't really be that stupid, can they? (Rhetorical question)

Hey!! Please watch what you say about the Scouts {boys and girls}  as a Troop Leader, I can honestly say that Scouts have adult supervision and are better organized, and are often better armed with a permit to use ... ;D  :D

Add:
Like I said in another thread, the Liberals then bitched and complained about the Consrvatives supporting the war, and the fact that we are still there.    :cdn:

E.R. Campbell said:
[
• The Europeans – even the Brits – were sympathetic and a deal was done. In Aug 03 Canadian troops began deploying to Kabul; and
Actually, I deployed to Kabul in May 03, and was there until End August.  But, you're right, 3 RCR (Hey, I think I know those guys!) starting arriving in August, and took over from "Battlegroup West" (pronounced "Vest") in August.

But, I must say, as usual, another oustanding post by E.R. Campbell :salute:

Maybe the MSM should interview some of the posters on this site. They are far more "experts" on here than CBC or CTV ever dig up, General McKenzie being the exception.
Scott Taylor is no "expert", despite what subtitles he gets.

General Ray Crabbe is also an expert. Sunil Ram isn't, IMO.

Back