• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

HBO's Game of Thrones

dimsum

Army.ca Myth
Mentor
Reaction score
Is anyone else watching/downloading this series?  Much like HBO's Rome, but based on a fantasy novel.  No elves or unicorns, but it does have dragons (eggs at least), lots of nudity and some creative death/lifelong consequences. 

I am aware that this show existed, although I haven't seen it.

Is it worth watching? I am a fan of intelligent scripted drama such as breaking bad, but I can't commit to letting a show grow on me unless I am certain that it will pay off.

Watched the first episode, haven't watched any since.  Not sure I will as I've read all the books and while I enjoyed the first two, the rest just got black and depressing. Another turn-off is that the first episode was pretty close to the book so I already new what was going to happen. which is one of the reasons I like True Blood is because I never read any of the books, so the storyline was new.

I have read the first 4 books and the TV series follows it really well.  There are minor changes or just little things that translate better if they were changed a bit. 

The series, is as grand of an epic as LOTR but being good and evil is not clear cut.  As the title suggests the series revolves around men/women of power who are viewing for a Throne.  The backstabbing and intrigue is top notch and will keep you guessing.  The most obvious good guy in the first book............. well I wont spoil it for those who didn't read the book.  There is also a overriding threat as well that is approaching. 

The cast is top notch (in my mind)  The action is as well done as anything Rome put out.  Just bear in mind that the world is not medieval Earth or Middle Earth.

The books are outstanding - quite frankly the best "fantasy" genre books I've read except for Tolkien, but probably better if you're more into medieval politics/intrigue and less into magic/trolls.  They are definitely "adult" books in terms of all the sex and violence.

The series is very good as well; it does a good job of explaining the complex psychological scheming that is hard to take from the first-person style of the books.  Everything about it is top-notch.  HBO has already signed on for a second season, which I can only assume will cover Clash of Kings (book 2)

I hear the 5th book is coming out this Summer (after years of waiting); I can only hope this series convinces Martin to get off his duffer and finish the series.

Retired AF Guy said:
Watched the first episode, haven't watched any since.  Not sure I will as I've read all the books and while I enjoyed the first two, the rest just got black and depressing. Another turn-off is that the first episode was pretty close to the book so I already new what was going to happen. which is one of the reasons I like True Blood is because I never read any of the books, so the storyline was new.

I read in an article (interview?) that each season would correspond to one book.  I haven't read them, but judging by the show, I just might have to. 

Infanteer said:
I hear the 5th book is coming out this Summer (after years of waiting); I can only hope this series convinces Martin to get off his duffer and finish the series.

I havnt had time to look for the 5th book but I am suprised it is not out already.  It was written the same time as book 4 and due to it's size the novel was split into 2 separate books.  ( It could be it was just the paperback version I was reading) but in the Authors notes he went on how the novel was split.  And the way the part 1 novel ended I dont see how he is going to finish it with in just one more novel.

I highly recommend the series, If you enjoyed Rome you should love this series.  If you have seen the series and enjoyed it then get out and read the books.  It fleshes out things a bit more.  As was mentioned the book is done more first person with each chapter focusing on the point of view of a main character. 

I hope the HBO series finishes the novels.  HBO has a good track record of things having a start, middle and end.

These are my favorite series of books ever written.  I'm generally not a big fan of Fantasy.  It all seems to be written the same way to me. However, I'm not sure that these books can be pigeon-holed into the Fantasy genre.  There's something in it for everyone.

The show is outstanding.  The only criticism I have is portrayal of a couple characters.  I think that Mark Addy was a poor choice for Robert Baratheon.  I know that Robert is portrayed in the books as a great warrior having gone soft and fat, but he still seemed gruff and fierce.  I don't think that Mark Addy has the essence of Robert.  And they make Khal Drogo look like a lady boy.  I was very disappointed there.

I still love the show, though.  I'll be watching them with a friend who hates plot twists. It will be interesting to see how he reacts.

helpup said:
I havnt had time to look for the 5th book but I am suprised it is not out already.  It was written the same time as book 4 and due to it's size the novel was split into 2 separate books.  ( It could be it was just the paperback version I was reading) but in the Authors notes he went on how the novel was split.  And the way the part 1 novel ended I dont see how he is going to finish it with in just one more novel.

Yeah, I don't know what happened but it's been years; I think Martin got bored with it and started writing other stuff.

A note - don't watch the series if you get attached to protaginists; Martin kills them off like they are going out of style.  And don't expect good/evil - today's villian is tomorrow's hero in this series.  I almost began to like Jaime Lannister at the end of the 4th book.

Outstanding series from top to bottom.  Writing, acting, costumes, set design, all top notch.  The last fantasy series I read was The Sword of Truth, and it soured me somewhat on the genre, but I will definitely be picking this series up.

Is that the one with Sean Bean? If it is then i'v heard of it but never seen it.

It is with Sean Bean and it is really quite good.  I was getting right into it, but now am forced to  miss it as it isn't available on cable in Kingston.

Yes it is.  In spite of Mr bean being a radical Sheffield united supporter, the show is quality.

I have been watching it weekly and PVRing it.  The quality is enough that I will have a marathon of the Season during the summer.
Oh and I so want to do some spoilers but as I can tell not all have read the books yet.

Some behind the scenes stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkptadiDABo

I am shocked after watching this, here I thought they skimped on the CGI but it turns out most of the stuff I thought was real simply wasn't. Amazing work.

helpup said:

Martin was interviewed at the recent Comic-Con and he said that after "A Dance with Dragons" he hopes to finish the series off in two more books.

Hopefully HBO continues with the season-per-book format.  After watching the 1st season, I ended up reading the 1st book and now halfway into the 2nd.  So far, I'm still very impressed (and now I can't wait for the 2nd season to air!)

Back