• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Having another job while in the CF...is it possible?

In Pet...

the pizza delivery person the other night was also a reg force service member.

Good on em.

shadow said:
Gunner98,
Thanks.  That is interesting.  When we were at University, the SEM from Borden told us specifically (more for the ROTPs who were getting paid very little) that they were welcome to take on a civilian job on their own time, but that it could not have anything to do with the training they received from the military.
The argument was that the military paid for these members to become nurses/engineers what-not, and therefore the member is obligated to work in that capacity only for the military.
I will have to find out what they were using as a reference for that...

I think I see where the confusion lies.  Shadow, you are talking about 'Students' at a CF School taking secondary jobs, before they have completed their CF Trg,  while everyone else is talking about secondary jobs for 'Trained' Serving Members, who are already posted to a Unit

shadow said:
I will have to find out what they were using as a reference for that...

That would indeed be interesting, especially given the large numbers of CF trained professionals who practice openly and successfully without sanction right now.

Piper said:
Hate to try and correct you; but I believe he is referring to people like me at university under a subsidised education program, not students at 'CF Schools' (like CFSAL, CFSEME etc) but rather students at a civilian university.

I work as a bouncer here to make some extra cash, meet people and entertain myself. I highly recommend to all ROTP candidates at civvie-u to go get a job during the year.

[Mr. Picky] If you are a 'student' in a CF School, that includes RMC and in addition those ROTP 'students' who have managed to go to Civvie Universities.  You fall into that category, right?

George Wallace said:
[Mr. Picky] If you are a 'student' in a CF School, that includes RMC and in addition those ROTP 'students' who have managed to go to Civvie Universities.  You fall into that category, right?

I'd say he's a civilian student with the CF subsidising him during the school year, and employing him in the summer.

Who enforces the CSD for ROTP?

Each university should have a ULO and a Senior ROTP student (one of the senior class/year) appointed to provide guidance and oversight.

Not to mention the Subsidized Education Manager (SEM) But we only see him once a year for the annual briefing.

reccecrewman said:
I took a job as a young Trooper delivering pizza......... [. . .]  I know that here in Petawawa, about 80-90% of all pizza delivery driver's for either Pizza Pizza or 241 are Military, and they all have different reasons for working there. 

And God Bless the pizza places in Pet for having ex and current military drivers.  I am told you can even have a pizza delivered to a grid reference, during an ex.  Although if your RQM staff feel generous, picking it all up with a van usually isn't a problem...  :p

(PIZZA to Grid Refs) I worked at Range Control in Petawawa for a year in the late eighties (1989). That is an urban myth. ( I am sure somebody has a story contradicting this)

The worst offenders for having POMV in the training area was the leadership courses and a certain crusty RCR WO, who will remain unnamed.

Back to the post, some people in HFX work as commissionaires on the weekend. I am personally way to lazy to do that. I dread 0600 Sunday Hockey practices for my son.

I wish their was more educational opportunities for motivated people on the weekend. I would be more open to something like that.

Crow enjoying last day of leave waiting for the freezing rain in HFX.

Trinity said:
In Pet...

the pizza delivery person the other night was also a reg force service member.

Good on em.

I've been doing this in Kingston for almost 1 1/2 years now.

Tried a search and couldn't find anything relevant.

Does anyone know the reference regarding working for the forces full time (Regular Force) and working part-time (I.E. Delivering Pizza) to make a few extra dollars when I'm not busy. As long as it doesn't affect my Job performance would there be any problems?

Thanks

No, as long as you inform your CoC and don't allow it to interfere with your mil job it isn't an issue.  I haven't seen any "official regs" like CFAO/DAODs on the issue.  Usually if I have seen it mentioned it was on unit routine orders.

And just so you are aware.  If you are seriously injured or killed while at your "civi" job you MAY not be eligible for any military benefits.

And it can depend on what base you are on.
Here in Gagetown, requests to work in bars, especially as bouncers, are increasingly being denied.

Pizza delivery, parts desk at Canadian Tire, sales positions, etc are looked at more favourably by the CoC.

Wook

QR&O 19.42 – CIVIL EMPLOYMENT

(1) Subject to paragraph (3), no officer or non-commissioned member on full-time service shall engage in any civil employment or undertaking that in the opinion of the member’s commanding officer:

(a) is or is likely to be detrimental to the interests of the Canadian Forces;

(b) reflects or is likely to reflect discredit upon the Canadian Forces; or

(c) in the case of members of the Regular Force, is continuous.

(2) No officer or non-commissioned member on full-time service shall authorize the use of the member’s name or photograph in connection with a commercial product, except so far as the member’s name may be part of a firm name.

(3) Except that an officer or non-commissioned member shall not engage in any civil employment or undertaking that reflects or is likely to reflect discredit upon the Canadian Forces, this article does not apply to a member who is :

(a) on leave immediately preceding release; or

(b) on leave without pay.

Wookilar said:
And it can depend on what base you are on.
Here in Gagetown, requests to work in bars, especially as bouncers, are increasingly being denied.

Do they at least have licenses to work as security guards in order to work as bouncers?

CFAO 19-7 also applies.

CFAO 19-7 -- CIVIL EMPLOYMENT -MILITARY PERSONNEL

1.    This order amplifies  QR&O 19.42.

2.    Subject to para 3, no member on full-time service shall engage in any
organized civil business or undertaking for financial gain on a defence
establishment with other members or their dependants in the course of which
he conducts business or trade, such as:

a.  insurance, securities or investment selling;

b.  furniture moving; or

c.  any other type of transaction selling products or providing
          services.

3.    This order does not preclude a member from engaging in:

a.  employment in a business or institute operated by
          concessionaires, Canex or canteens;

b.  an enterprise not specifically detailed in para 2, eg, barbering
          or laundry, which in the opinion of the commanding officer
          provides a beneficial service not otherwise readily available on
          a defence establishment; or

c.  isolated private transactions such as the sale or advertising for
          sale on a defence establishment or through service media of his
          own real estate, automobile, household furniture, etc.

4.    Unless the approval of NDHQ is obtained, no member on full-time
service shall be employed by or serve as a member or auxiliary member of:

a.  the Royal Canadian Mounted Police;

b.  a provincial or municipal police force or any other constabulary
          force; or

c.  a provincial or municipal emergency planning organization.

5.    No member shall engage in any civil employment or undertaking which
requires the disclosure of information acquired as a result of military
service.

6.    No member shall use the influence of his rank or position in any
private business transactions with other members or their dependants.

7.    Order in Council PC 71/4005 of 18 Aug 50 as amended by Order in
Council PC 98/5322 of 4 Nov 50 authorizes the temporary employment of
members in a civilian capacity during leave or off-duty hours during the
period 1 May to 31 Oct annually, but only if:

a.  such employment will not interfere with normal military duties;

b.  authority has been obtained for the employment of additional
          persons for the work to be performed;

c.  suitably qualified persons are not available for engagement
          locally; and

d.  the work cannot be delayed until suitably qualified persons
          become available.

(C)                                    1605-19-7 (DPLS)

Issued 8 Jun 79

Aerobicrunner said:
QR&O 19.42 – CIVIL EMPLOYMENT

(3) Except that an officer or non-commissioned member shall not engage in any civil employment or undertaking that reflects or is likely to reflect discredit upon the Canadian Forces, this article does not apply to a member who is :

(a) on leave immediately preceding release; or

(b) on leave without pay.

Nice - that means you could take 9 months pata and do a test run for an outside job as pata is LWOP.

Back