• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Haven't We Done The "Target" Recruiting Before?

daftandbarmy said:
I'm fortunate to be able to work with some high quality marketing consultants and they get a good laugh out of our recruiting efforts. As I understand it, one of the best ways to convince the current demographic to do anything is to equip 'honest brokers' with high amounts of credibility with the target audience, like RTaylor, to explain what it's all about. They use the term 'contagious' to describe the way that this information spreads most effectively. TV ads, and other promotional materials, needs to support this approach fully and address the information needs of your audience. I don't know who's doing the ad building these days, but I'm not sure if they've hit the mark for Gen Y/Next. 

I would think that the 'big mistake' is being made by who is approving the ads - professionals in the 40-60 YOA bracket are deciding whether material targeted at an audience of 20-25 is 'on the mark'...

daftandbarmy said:
An outstanding example of the kind of leadership we need to help recruit more of the right kind of people (of whatever ethnic background). Well done RTaylor.

I'm fortunate to be able to work with some high quality marketing consultants and they get a good laugh out of our recruiting efforts. As I understand it, one of the best ways to convince the current demographic to do anything is to equip 'honest brokers' with high amounts of credibility with the target audience, like RTaylor, to explain what it's all about. They use the term 'contagious' to describe the way that this information spreads most effectively. TV ads, and other promotional materials, needs to support this approach fully and address the information needs of your audience. I don't know who's doing the ad building these days, but I'm not sure if they've hit the mark for Gen Y/Next.

I think OCdts (and reservists) at Civvy-U are an untapped recruiting resource for others 18-24. I won't profess to be very knowledgable, but I can at least give people the recruiting website. So far this year I have helped encourage 2 guys to apply for Pilot, 1 for Infantry reserves, 1 potential Cmbt Eng and 1 potential Dental O.
  One smart thing ASU London did was give me a backpack to wear on campus with the Tri-force on it as well as recruiting phone number and website. I like it because it reminds me to work hard every day, and it's easy, cheap recruiting, several people have asked me questions because of it.

Since I made my post I have 2 more people going to the recruiting center.

I think I should get a commission for this  ;D

And only if I'd actually get MY call...sigh...the wait is killin me 

I can't help but think that targetting could not possibly work. People who join the service have a certain "je ne sais quoi" and I would venture that an effort should be made to get information to those who have it (that je ne sais quoi) but don't know it, or those who have it and are too timid to embrace it. A lot of money is spent training mooks who think they are ready for Delta Force but are crying by day three of basic.

RTaylor said:
Since I made my post I have 2 more people going to the recruiting center.

I think I should get a commission for this  ;D

And only if I'd actually get MY call...sigh...the wait is killin me 

They'll probably make you a 'Sultan' if you get your tartgeting right

Non-white military might needs boost

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/War_Terror/2008/04/27/5401911-sun.html

"He believes many aren't signing up because they don't support the war in Afghanistan or are turned off by the "Fight" campaign ads."

Despite Canadian Forces ad campaigns targeting women, aboriginals and visible minorities, recruitment numbers remain stubbornly low

By KATHLEEN HARRIS, SUN MEDIA SPECIAL

The Ottawa Sun   

OTTAWA -- Canada's military is struggling to shed its "white guys" image, embracing more culture and diversity to put a more colourful face on the armed forces.

Employment equity law, ramped-up recruitment drives and targeted ad campaigns have tried to break down the homogeneous tradition and attract more women, aboriginals and visible minorities to the mix. But their numbers remain stubbornly low. A 2006 report showed natives represented a marginal 1.5% of the regular and primary reserves, visible minorities just 2.7% and women 15.1% -- and figures have barely budged since then.

Driven in part by ideology and in part by operational necessity, the military is making concerted new efforts to boost those numbers to 2.8%, 9.1% and 19.5% over five years. A new working group recently launched a sweeping six-month study designed to root out underlying reasons for the lagging numbers and devise ways to pick up the recruitment pace.

"It's important for the Canadian Forces to reflect the Canadian population as a whole," said Lt.-Commander Rohit Gulati, who's in charge of the diversity program. "The military must represent the people. If we are a national institution, we must reflect the population, because if the population doesn't see themselves reflected, we will lose touch with them, and them with us."

Gulati calls it the "million dollar question" why numbers remain so low, since the military has moved from a conform-and-adapt mantra to one that accommodates diverse religious practices and cultural traditions. Flexible policies allow wearing the Sikh turban, Metis sash, Muslim hijab or Jewish yarmulke and provide halal, kosher or other special religious dietary requirements on army bases.

"We've got all those pegs in place, but we're still not getting the numbers. In fact, it's hard to get people in and the recruiting groups are having a bit of a tough time," he said.

Recruitment is easier in outlying regions and smaller provinces, where the CF has established a traditional, visible presence. But in big cities like Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver, where most of the visible minorities live, the CF doesn't register high as a potential career choice for many young people.

The new working group study will review outreach programs, ethnic advertising and explore the best ways to target specific communities. In some ethnic groups, the offer of educational opportunities may be the inroad, while technical trade training could be the ticket in another.

The son of immigrant parents from India who grew up in Halifax, Gulati calls the military a "meritocracy" with zero tolerance for racial discrimination.

"People don't care what colour you are, it's how well can you do your job, and you're promoted based on that. If you look at our performance evaluation system, it is basically colour blind," he said. "I've never felt that race was an issue. After the first couple of hours people evaluate you based on who you are rather than what colour you are. That's my experience, anyway."

Better reflecting Canadian society is a primary goal of diversity targets, but Gulati said there are operational advantages to having more women and a multicultural military -- especially on missions like Kandahar.

"When the local women there see a female soldier, they will respect her. They will be very impressed, it will be a role model for them. And in dealing with the locals it is very difficult for men to deal with traditional Afghani women. It has to be a woman, so for a woman to be there she has more access to that group, and that brings an operational advantage," he said. "And if you have an Afghani-Canadian who understands the language and nuances of the culture, that brings another operational edge to the group."

Anthony Salloum, program director for the Ottawa-based Rideau Institute, said it's "problematic" to have low representation of aboriginals and visible minorities in any key public sector. He believes many aren't signing up because they don't support the war in Afghanistan or are turned off by the "Fight" campaign ads.

"That might be appealing to some sectors of our society, but you're not speaking the language of many of our ethnic minorities, including those who come from war-torn regions," he said. "Many of them are coming to Canada for peace, so the idea of joining up to 'Fight' may not be an appealing message. It's a very aggressive word and that might be really muting the enthusiasm of our visible minority communities to join the armed forces."

Lt.-Gen. Andrew Leslie, the chief of land staff and the Canadian Forces' "aboriginal champion," said the military must be flexible and reject a "cookie cutter" approach to attract and retain visible minorities and aboriginals. He noted that the sudden culture shock of drill, orders and fitness training for new recruits on base is even more jarring for someone who grew up in a remote, isolated native community and is now separated from family in Shilo, Man., or Wainwright, Alta.

"Let's not kid ourselves, the army culture is a little bit different from that which you find just about anywhere else in Canada," he said. "We've got to be more accommodating in not trying to cram our army culture down the throat of great young Canadians who may not understand it when they first walk through the door."

Leslie said natives are "natural soldiers" who bring to the job a deep understanding of the land, inherent survival skills and incredible self-reliance, patience and persistence. And as the fastest-growing population in Canada -- with a majority under 25 years old -- he said aboriginals represent a big "potential recruiting pool."

Aboriginal Master Warrant Officer John Young dreamed of being a soldier from when he was a young boy living on Manitoulin Island. He signed up at 17, and with 33 years in the military under his belt he now spends his days criss-crossing the country encouraging others to follow his dream.

As Leslie's aboriginal adviser, his job is to establish and nurture mentoring and recruitment programs, recommend policy and help break down barriers.

Despite a long, proud tradition of natives serving in arms, Young said there are many reasons why the numbers are so sparse now. A strong economy has offered vast career options, many are reluctant to leave tight-knit native communities, and others harbour lingering resentment for past injustices for aboriginal Canadians.

"Memories do run long, and there are some concerns after the Second World War and the Korean War, the treatment of aboriginal veterans," he said. "There is still some concern about residential schools. All these things you read in the paper that affect the Canadian public affect the aboriginal population."

But Young hopes a number of youth initiatives, an aboriginal entry college program and a welcoming attitude toward braids, sweetgrass and pow wows will help promote the CF as a viable career path. He has no regrets about his choice, looking back to adventure and travel to every corner of the country and spots around the globe.

"It's been a really great lifestyle that has offered me sights and scenes I would have never seen if I'd been a hard rock miner in northern Ontario," he said.

---

Current representation of designated group members in CF regular force and primary reserve:

Women: 15.1%

Five-year goal: 19.5%

Visible Minorities 2.7%

Five-year goal: 9.1%

Aboriginal people 1.5%

Five-year goal: 2.8%

And again, striving to recruit minorities always leads to inequality. Apply the budget, recruiters and so forth to low income areas, then they'll see a boost in minorities overall as well as white folk. Their current advertising campaigns suck so much ass it makes me cry.

Need to show some black folk in positions of authority commanding around others, some women in combat...but alas they regurgutate the same crap.

Their commercials should have the slogan "People helping people, we're the get along gang!" Not bad commercials but not really grabbing people hook, line and sinker.

Glass half full.... they aren't as bad as these, are they?

http://www.blackfive.net/main/2007/08/the-worst-milit.html

Can't please everyone. IMO, the commercials are better then the old "ours is a learning experience" spots. But even those aren't too bad.

daftandbarmy said:
Despite Canadian Forces ad campaigns targeting women, aboriginals and visible minorities, recruitment numbers remain stubbornly low

Add on top of that that the applicants have to have no criminal record, be financially stable, and preferably have a university degree, have an aptitude for military life, PLUS a will to fight overseas, well, that slims down the talent pool just a bit.  There's nothing like creating your own skills shortage by expecting all your candidates to be overqualified...

Greymatters said:
Add on top of that that the applicants have to have no criminal record, be financially stable,

I would rather be short-staffed than having people with criminal backgrounds or financial burdens on my hands. I have enough to do WRT to soldier's administration as it is, i dont need to invite more issues.

Greymatters said:
Add on top of that that the applicants have to have no criminal record, be financially stable, and preferably have a university degree, have an aptitude for military life, PLUS a will to fight overseas, well, that slims down the talent pool just a bit.  There's nothing like creating your own skills shortage by expecting all your candidates to be overqualified...

Which of those qualities would you consider unnecessary?

benny88 said:
Which of those qualities would you consider unnecessary?

Aptitude for military life and willingness to fight are the most important, IMO, and should not settle for this.  Financially capable would be nice to have although this can be corrected with teaching sound financial advice (and not the lame 'buy RRSP' stuff they were teaching for decades, I mean actual sound spending habits).  Having a criminal record should be treated on a case-by case basis as some crimes do not neccesarily mean a person is a career criminal or guarantee they will commit crimes again.  Finally, you need smarts to handle the equipment and technology, but not neccesarily a university degree to do well.

Greymatters said:
Aptitude for military life and willingness to fight are the most important, IMO, and should not settle for this.  Financially capable would be nice to have although this can be corrected with teaching sound financial advice (and not the lame 'buy RRSP' stuff they were teaching for decades, I mean actual sound spending habits).  Having a criminal record should be treated on a case-by case basis as some crimes do not necessarily mean a person is a career criminal or guarantee they will commit crimes again.  Finally, you need smarts to handle the equipment and technology, but not necessarily a university degree to do well.

Didn't mean to say that degrees are "necessary" at all. Also agreed that being financially stable and criminal records are not black and white and should be dealt with on a case by case basis. But I don't think those criteria make one OVERqualified, which is what I thought you were saying in your original post. I don't think there's anything wrong with pursuing skilled and desirable individuals, and I don't think we should compromise.
  The right people are out there, we just need to appeal to them. Something aggressive and simple for recruiting could be to put some sort of committee together of RMC students to advise on recruiting. Not a full time thing or anything, maybe a week long focus group. It's a pool of smart, driven individuals who can help target other people of the same age group. For the record, I'm not an RMC OCdt, just think we should take advantage of a group of young people who chose to serve, to figure out how we can approach others.

So who here would take orders from a "Native"? Who here would follow a "Native" into combat? Who here thinks the army a "meritocracy"?

I have recieved an offer for Officer training. I have no criminal record, I have no financial difficulties, I have a University Degree, and I can kick some a** to boot. I work in the Oil Patch in a head office. So my question is to ask you on this forum for an Honest No Bull-sh** assessment of how a person of First-Nation decent, that meets all current standards the same as anyone else, would do in today's CF.

I want to fight for my country. I want to excel as a combat leader. I want to kick the crap out of our enemies. I don't want to be "that Indian guy." I do not want to deal with soldiers not following my orders because they don't like "Indians", and I do not want to be passed over for promotions because whoever is above me is racist. It does happen. Trust me.

So in as far as that kind of stuff happens to everyone, sure, I know that the world is unfair. But, how hospitable is the CF to First Nations? I would rather not waste my time and dread doing my duty and going into work in the morning because of racist BS. I would hate to be in a 9-year contract to a place where I was discriminated against solely on the basis of skin colour. As a civy I can always quit my job and take an offer to a place where I would recieve better treatment.

Facing a 95% population that may or may not take kindly to my skin colour can be like walking through a minefield where I have a 5% chance of success. Not quite the best odds... Would any of you say that my analogy holds? Or not? Why?

Your honesty and sincerity are appreciated

Honestly and sincerely: Lose the big chip on your shoulder and lighten up a bit.

Competence and attitude counts for much more than 'ethnic heritage' or gender in just about any military I've been part of. Do a good job, act like a regular human being and people will tend to respect you.

Now turn that frown upside down and go out there and slay our nation's enemies!  ;D

Must be difficult walking around with that chip on your shoulder...

The short answer to your question is:  99.999% of the people you will come across in the CF will judge you on your performance, not your skin colour.  You will be treated no better and no worse than your peers.

Be prepared to work harder than you ever have before in your life; you will be expected to put the Country and the CF in front of your needs, wants and desires.  Think carefully before you sign on that dotted line.  

Oblique Order said:
So who here would take orders from a "Native"? Who here would follow a "Native" into combat? Who here thinks the army a "meritocracy"?

I have recieved an offer for Officer training. I have no criminal record, I have no financial difficulties, I have a University Degree, and I can kick some a** to boot. I work in the Oil Patch in a head office. So my question is to ask you on this forum for an Honest No Bull-sh** assessment of how a person of First-Nation decent, that meets all current standards the same as anyone else, would do in today's CF.

I want to fight for my country. I want to excel as a combat leader. I want to kick the crap out of our enemies. I don't want to be "that Indian guy." I do not want to deal with soldiers not following my orders because they don't like "Indians", and I do not want to be passed over for promotions because whoever is above me is racist. It does happen. Trust me.

So in as far as that kind of stuff happens to everyone, sure, I know that the world is unfair. But, how hospitable is the CF to First Nations? I would rather not waste my time and dread doing my duty and going into work in the morning because of racist BS. I would hate to be in a 9-year contract to a place where I was discriminated against solely on the basis of skin colour. As a civy I can always quit my job and take an offer to a place where I would recieve better treatment.

Facing a 95% population that may or may not take kindly to my skin colour can be like walking through a minefield where I have a 5% chance of success. Not quite the best odds... Would any of you say that my analogy holds? Or not? Why?

I'd say that you shouldn't judge the CF as a whole, nor try to guage if being Native will affect people following your orders by the extremely small percentage of CF members that are members of and post on this website. Think for a second, do you really believe in this day and age you will have people in the CF refuse to follow your orders because you're Native? Do you SERIOUSLY think that is the case?  

But on the other hand: food for thought. There are lies, bloody lies and then statistics; but with enrollment at 95% that does say something about the prevailing winds so to speak. I am not ranting here, just getting dialogue going. And just for the record, I am not implying that the CF has an anti-non-caucasian theme or anything like that. I would like to hear what serving members opinions are. You guys rock  :)

95% though, that is almost a 1 to 1 correlation... It says something, I just don't know what; and that is what I am trying to figure out before I sign the dotted line.

No. I do not think anyone would refuse to follow orders, not ever. I just think that some people might not like taking orders from an "Indian" and get to talking, and somehow something negative could come of it. Call me paranoid, or call me cautious. Either way, before I jump in a hornets nest, I want to have an idea as to how many hornets are in the nest...  :)

Back