• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Have you been ghosted by the Reserves?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CanadianReserves

Inactive
Reaction score
Have you submitted your application to the Reserves, successfully participated in the selection process and then been ghosted- all your attempts at communication suddenly met with silence?

If so, we want to know..

Just a few people who have been ghosted. It's been impossible to determine the reason(s) why this occurred but, if more people respond in the affirmative, we can determine if it has been one-offs or a pattern of behaviour.

Have you actually walked in to the unit on a training night and asked to speak with the unit recruiting NCO, or someone else who can help you? Speaking as a former recruiting NCO for a reserve unit, you're likely dealing with one individual who's wearing a couple of different hats. That person may well be quite tied up with the early part of the training year, and likely knows that the next basic training course won't be starting til Jan or Feb, so they have some time to work with before calling up the next batch of recruits to arrange things like enrollment, kit issues, etc. Could be they've been sent away on a tasking or course, or what have you. Could be the recruiting NCO got a full time job outside of the reserves and the unit hasn't replaced them yet.

Now, it's fair to expect some reasonable communications form the recruiter at the unit. I would suggest that if this isn't happening, get off your ass and go knock on a door at the armouries and ask to talk to someone who can help figure it out. Vague, semi-conspiratorial fishing for information on this internet is not a particularly effective means of bettering your situation.

Have you actually walked in to the unit on a training night and asked to speak with the unit recruiting NCO,?
There's an idea. An aspiring soldier showing initiative. If you want the job bad enough, you'll proactively try to get hired. I think the OP skipped that step.
Vague, semi-conspiratorial fishing for information on this internet is not a particularly effective means of bettering your situation.
You just delegitimized Google.

semi-conspiratorial?

I completed my Board Review in March 2022. I've received no communication since that time. My Online Employment Application portal had not been updated since before the Review. I requested information, in writing, SEVEN times since then (twice at the CBG recruiting email, twice through the form available at Contact Us | Canadian Armed Forces, and the other three email have been sent to three different individuals with whom I've been in contact during the application process). The response? Absolutely nothing.

I contacted the CAF Ombudsman who suggested, two weeks ago, that I write again to get the status of my application- this time, CC'ing his office. I wrote again- yet no update was sent to me. The Ombudsman then suggested I contact Canadian Forces Recruiting Group Headquarters. They reached out to the CBG on September 22 directing them to update me. To date I've receive no communication from the CBG.

Well, with this information in hand and access to my file, you now know who I am. Perhaps I should have just let the process continue on like this, and not post on Army.ca, but, if the Ombudsman and the CFRGH has gotten involved and it results in no action, I figure I have little to lose by posting and I'm sure I can't be the only one this has happened to...

If you believe that applicants are not being ghosted, you're mistaken. I've attended a few of the CBG's online information sessions. People have written in the chat asking why they've not heard back from the CAF in one year- even two years (the Moderator's response was to reach out to them again- uh-huh.).

This is incredibly unprofessional and unacceptable. If you don't want me or anyone else in the Reserves- have the decency to say it.

You started out giving us basically zero detail, got some very skeptical replies, and then you dumped a whole ton of further detail. So, first, thanks for fleshing that out in a subsequent post, it very much helps to qualify and legitimize your complaint. Second, wind your neck in- we worked with what you gave us to work with, which was VERY little. Offering a fraction of that at the start would have made it a very differently-toned discussion. You may not realize it, but a lot of weirdos have made their way to this site over the years, some with ill intent. The skepticism is earned.

Now, that aside, FWIW, I agree with you. What you describe is pretty absurd and unprofessional. If I were a prospective recruit, I would be pissed, and if I were a recruiter involved in your file (I'm not and have no access to it; I've been out for a few years now) I'd be embarrassed.

I would still physically go to the unit you're trying to join and politely but firmly ask to speak to someone who can give you some idea of what's going on, and tell them what you've told us. I suspect the answer will be something super mundane, but either way it highlights a clear problem. I would not be surprise if the stoppage on your recruiting file is at a very low level somewhere, and that your complaints have gone to a relatively quite high level and may have gotten lost int he middle somwehere. Unless things have really changed, the individual reserve unit is the entity most interested in the success of a particular recruiting process, and it will probably be someone there who will be best poised to ask pointed questions of someone who actually has direct access to the answer.

I applaud your tenacity and I hope it works out, and I hope the insight I've offered is of some help.

semi-conspiratorial?

I completed my Board Review in March 2022. I've received no communication since that time. My Online Employment Application portal had not been updated since before the Review. I requested information, in writing, SEVEN times since then (twice at the CBG recruiting email, twice through the form available at Contact Us | Canadian Armed Forces, and the other three email have been sent to three different individuals with whom I've been in contact during the application process). The response? Absolutely nothing.

I contacted the CAF Ombudsman who suggested, two weeks ago, that I write again to get the status of my application- this time, CC'ing his office. I wrote again- yet no update was sent to me. The Ombudsman then suggested I contact Canadian Forces Recruiting Group Headquarters. They reached out to the CBG on September 22 directing them to update me. To date I've receive no communication from the CBG.

Well, with this information in hand and access to my file, you now know who I am. Perhaps I should have just let the process continue on like this, and not post on Army.ca, but, if the Ombudsman and the CFRGH has gotten involved and it results in no action, I figure I have little to lose by posting and I'm sure I can't be the only one this has happened to...

If you believe that applicants are not being ghosted, you're mistaken. I've attended a few of the CBG's online information sessions. People have written in the chat asking why they've not heard back from the CAF in one year- even two years (the Moderator's response was to reach out to them again- uh-huh.).

This is incredibly unprofessional and unacceptable. If you don't want me or anyone else in the Reserves- have the decency to say it.
It sounds like it was frustrating. Sometimes you need to walk away.

Firstly, this site has no connection to DND, other than it is comprised of serving members, former members, and interested civilians. It is not an official government site. Posting here will likely have little actual effect on your situation.

Secondly, I strongly suggest you go back to the unit you wanted to join, and speak to them in person. The unit should still hold your recruiting file, and should be able to find out where the breakdown in processing is. Typical choke points are the medical and security clearance, particularly for those born abroad. If you can't attend in person, find the email for the CO. A polite note outlining your difficulty should get some results.

Lastly, this is not necessarily an issue CF wide, but in my experience, an issue with the Army. I can attest from personal experience that my unit, which is not army, is getting people in within 30-45 days.

You started out giving us basically zero detail, got some very skeptical replies, and then you dumped a whole ton of further detail. So, first, thanks for fleshing that out in a subsequent post, it very much helps to qualify and legitimize your complaint. Second, wind your neck in- we worked with what you gave us to work with, which was VERY little. Offering a fraction of that at the start would have made it a very differently-toned discussion. You may not realize it, but a lot of weirdos have made their way to this site over the years, some with ill intent. The skepticism is earned.

Now, that aside, FWIW, I agree with you. What you describe is pretty absurd and unprofessional. If I were a prospective recruit, I would be pissed, and if I were a recruiter involved in your file (I'm not and have no access to it; I've been out for a few years now) I'd be embarrassed.

I would still physically go to the unit you're trying to join and politely but firmly ask to speak to someone who can give you some idea of what's going on, and tell them what you've told us. I suspect the answer will be something super mundane, but either way it highlights a clear problem. I would not be surprise if the stoppage on your recruiting file is at a very low level somewhere, and that your complaints have gone to a relatively quite high level and may have gotten lost int he middle somwehere. Unless things have really changed, the individual reserve unit is the entity most interested in the success of a particular recruiting process, and it will probably be someone there who will be best poised to ask pointed questions of someone who actually has direct access to the answer.

I applaud your tenacity and I hope it works out, and I hope the insight I've offered is of some help.
I hear what you're saying. I was intentionally vague because I didn't want to give any personal detail. Then I though, well why not- how much worse can make this situation? Thanks for the feedback!

It sounds like it was frustrating. Sometimes you need to walk away.
I thought about that, but I spent 1 year getting into shape before applying and 2 years completing the process during covid. I very much want to join, I'd make a good officer and I earned that position. I'm not letting whatever BS this is get in the way.

Firstly, this site has no connection to DND, other than it is comprised of serving members, former members, and interested civilians. It is not an official government site. Posting here will likely have little actual effect on your situation.

Secondly, I strongly suggest you go back to the unit you wanted to join, and speak to them in person. The unit should still hold your recruiting file, and should be able to find out where the breakdown in processing is. Typical choke points are the medical and security clearance, particularly for those born abroad. If you can't attend in person, find the email for the CO. A polite note outlining your difficulty should get some results.

Lastly, this is not necessarily an issue CF wide, but in my experience, an issue with the Army. I can attest from personal experience that my unit, which is not army, is getting people in within 30-45 days.
Yeah, I didn't think posting here would resolve what issue is happening. Perhaps just wanted to know if I was the only one. I like the idea of contacting the CO directly- though I think at this point he must be well aware.

I hear what you're saying. I was intentionally vague because I didn't want to give any personal detail. Then I though, well why not- how much worse can make this situation? Thanks for the feedback!
Well, you could have qualified what you were saying without giving that much info - "I've inquired in writing several times, including to the recruiting group, and I passed my board in March" would have been enough to establish some bona fides without fully outing yourself if anyone cares (which, honestly, I wouldn't worry about). In any case, no harm, no foul. Like I said, I hope this works out.

Yeah, I didn't think posting here would resolve what issue is happening. Perhaps just wanted to know if I was the only one. I like the idea of contacting the CO directly- though I think at this point he must be well aware.

All Reserve Units have full time staff working in the Orderly Room during normal business hours.

I was always keen on letting potential recruits know that if they couldn't reach the (part time) recruiter to either call, or walk in and talk to, the full time staff. This usually worked well.

Units differ somewhat in their approaches, but I'd suggest that you try this if you haven't done so already.

How in the hell do you know what kind of officer you'd make?
Seriously? That's the only 'productive' comment you can make? Here, let me change it just for you: "I'd THINK I'd make a good officer ...". There, I really hope that makes you feel a little less angry...

Seriously? That's the only 'productive' comment you can make? Here, let me change it just for you: "I'd THINK I'd make a good officer ...". There, I really hope that makes you feel a little less angry...
Keep it up. Your insecurities and hubris is giving you away. STFU and do us all a favour

How in the hell do you know what kind of officer you'd make?
In fairness the CAF strives to make “good” officers and soldiers. I don’t think it’s necessarily presumptuous to make a statement like that. No one goes in saying they would make bad officers.

He didn’t claim he would be JTF2 super awesome GI Joe.

However…

To the OP: a piece of advice. Be ready to get all sorts of “productive” comments if and when you get in. OldSolduer asked something that you might get asked if you make that sort of claim out loud. He can certainly attest to what actually makes a good officer. You are going in knowing nothing let alone what it takes to be a “good” officer. I don’t know you so I can’t know if you will or won’t.

Maybe tell us why you think you’d be a good officer. Chances are you might get some feedback or reality checks. Both are learning opportunities.

You are under no obligation to take this advice but remember you are in a forum with actual officers and NCMs that have some inkling of what makes a good officer.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back