• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Have Not Returned my Cadet Uniform

Eaglelord17 said:
For the record I was a Scout Leader for a while and I prefer people to be properly informed about things. The reason I said everything is free for Cadets is at the member level (the Cadets themselves) it is. For example for most Scouts it costs about 200$ a year plus uniforms (which are about 60$ each) and extra for any camps they wish to attend. Make the Cadets pay for there stuff if they don't return it simple as that. To get back to the topic and hopefully close it, if a cadet said they would return there uniform after there done they should end of story. 

Thread derailment.

Psst -  I got side tracked by total misuse of that infamous set of homynyms - THERE, THEY'RE and THEIR...dude, they're not interchangeable  ;).

Back on track...

Kids sign a 638 to get the loan of the uniform...loan, being the operative word, as the word implies that the Cadet unit actually owns it.  In reality, it's kind of like a promissory note - you sign it, it's binding.  This is a way of starting to make kids accountable in life...and the aim of the Cadet movement is to make good citizens...ergo, if you sign for it and don't bring it back, don't be surprised when someone shows up with a bill in your name or asking for/demanding the uniform back, as they should.  If they don't, well, just is another sign of the times that kids are apparently not accoutnable for their actions or lack there of.  To the OP - send your uniform back, because unless you bought it, it's not really yours.

And BTW, not all Cadet units are free...my kid belonged to a Sqn that had dues every year to help pay for flight familiarizations and other things DND didn't support.

:2c: for what it's worth.

MM

medicineman said:
Kids sign a 638 to get the loan of the uniform...loan, being the operative word, as the word implies that the Cadet unit actually owns it.  In reality, it's kind of like a promissory note - you sign it, it's binding.  This is a way of starting to make kids accountable in life...and the aim of the Cadet movement is to make good citizens...ergo, if you sign for it and don't bring it back, don't be surprised when someone shows up with a bill in your name or asking for/demanding the uniform back, as they should.  If they don't, well, just is another sign of the times that kids are apparently not accoutnable for their actions or lack there of.  To the OP - send your uniform back, because unless you bought it, it's not really yours.
Armyvern has it right.  The recovery of kit from cadets parallels the process for the Primary Reserve. The process should start when a cadet has missed three nights of attendance.  First there is a phone call to determine if there are extenuating circumstances regarding attendance.  It that brings a negative response a letter is sent to return the kit (less next to skin items and other expendables) often with an indication of the value of the items.  What happens next probably differs from corps to corps.  Some SUPOs will go to the house to collect the kit.  The unfortunate part is that unlike the PRes the system cannot recoup the cost from a final pay cheque.  If the kit is not returned there is a procedure for the items to be written off.  An aside from the earlier post a SUPO may decide that a usually returnable piece of kit is no longer serviceable and allow a senior cadet to keep a tunic as a souvenir for instance.  It's not pusser but it happens. 

And BTW, not all Cadet units are free...my kid belonged to a Sqn that had dues every year to help pay for flight familiarizations and other things DND didn't support. :2c: for what it's worth. MM

The cadet program is not free, but it is important to know that any request for funds from a sponsoring committee is not a cost to enrol in the cadet program.  It is a solicitation by the civilian sponsor that is voluntary and should have no impact on cadet enrollment or participation.  The civilian sponsor requires funds to pay its responsibilities that include, accomodation, utilities, telephone, cable, liability insurance, additional training aides, and enhanced activities and transportation not supported by the CF/DND.  No cadet may be turned away from the cadet program or otherwise disadvantaged because  of non-payment of such a solicitation. 

A cadet corps of 40 cadets represents a Federal Government investment of about $100,000 annually in the youth of the community.  That includes uniforms and the local training program, Support and Class A pay for the CF supervision and leadership, Headquarters oversite, and about 10 to 12 of the 40 cadets attending summer training. 

That investment cannot exist without the support of the community including a group that takes on the responsibility, under the supervising Army Cadet, Air Cadet, or Navy League to sponsor the cadet corps that includes those expenses mentioned above. 

At my corp, if you age out (not just quit), they let you keep your uniform. Certain parts, anyways. I'm not sure what they are, but I think the tunic is one.

Back