• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Haulin' the C9 and/or C6

footsoldier32 said:
Ok, so budget issues will limit you.  That is good.  My suggestion is take the list that you have and try and talk to some of the guys that you may know from the other units that were on 3-06.  See if the have, a: kit you can buy at a reduce cost that they used or b: at least try it on and see what it is like.  The real big issue that may affect you back here in Canada with respect to kit is having the CofC allow you to wear it.  While we are RCR and many other Inf organisations like to think that we are spit and polish all of the time, this is not true.  Generally, we want everyone to look like a professional army with kit that is relatively robust, easily replaceable (it will break at some point and there is nothing worse than trying to work in the new issue desert boots over there) and generally good quality.  Too many younger soldiers will buy something for the LCF (Look Cool Factor) and it falls apart quickly.  So to deal with that, we set restrictions.  I am a huge fan of personal boots, modifyable TV's and slings.

Ref your question on on gucci kit, there were a lot of guys who bought the warlord (HSGI Warlord V-3) that is sold on "One Shot Tactical" but is pretty pricey $250ish.  For you C9 Gnr's it is pretty good as you can easily adjust it to fit more C9 ammo pouches and still carry first aid and water.  Your choice, but most guys actually went back to issue vest as it was pretty hard on the back carrying that extra weight on your chest.  Not to mention your profile in the prone is much higher.  Again, if you can make it work and carry more ammo without thundering in, then more power to you.  Again, see if you can try one on and buy it just before you head over as you may not be able to wear it...just in case (I would really be surprised to see you wearing it in the trg area here in Canada.  A lot of guys went back to the Elcan sight as it can more magnification.  I stuck with my EOtech because I was always too busy as  a Pl Comd to be shooting and it was great for close in work hands down.  If you have the C9, be careful, some inexperienced guys tried using iron sights on the damn things until I and my Sgt's sorted that you.  It's and area weapon, make her sing and the rest of the boys will support you.  ACOG is really the way to go with a laser red dot thingy on top are pretty top notch, but you will shell out at least $1000 for it unless you get lucky.  If it is weight, then just go with an iron sight (buy one) and become damn proficient on it.  I had a couple of soldiers that went that route with the M203/C7 combo and they did just fine in firefights.  It is hard for me to tell you which sling to go with for the C9 as I haven't carried one for real, but my suggestions would be the BFG Two Point Sling for M60/C6 / C9 from One Shot Tactical or maybe the TAG CQC Double Hook Sling (cheap but you could try it out) both are on http://www.oneshottactical.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=oneshot&Category_Code=SL-BFG.  Again, some guys bought some slings that fell apart, so buy it early and trial it out as soon as you can.

Now onto boots and helmet things...SWAT and Oregon Aero Bliss Kit.  You can buy SWATS at Valley Workwear (just don't leave it till too late as they will get back logged quickly with all of the guys rushing out to buy).  The Brits sell a nice boot in KAF that is German made and seemed pretty good, so check out the Brit store over there.  As to the helmet issue, buy the Oregon Aero Bliss Kit (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mZUHvZRnt8)...anywhere from 150-200 dollars and you should be able to pick it up here in town.

Anything else, don't hesitate to ask and I am sure that there will be other guys out there who may disagree on things, so try stuff and see what works for you.

Yeah, I've looked around here quite a bit and have starting prodding some of the guys from my Pl, almost all of whom were on 3-06 (at the least).  I'm always on the lookout for used kit, but at the same time 8-08 is a long ways away and I don't know what role (if any for sure yet) I will be filling.  I'm aware of CoC restrictions on kit here in Canada, but have little idea as to what is acceptable.  I'm going to start asking around to see whats allowable, especially for work up training.  Coming in, I had heard the spit and polish horror stories of the RCR but have been releived at some of the common sense relaxation of some of the rules that I have seen.  I was especially suprised to see the variety of non-issue boots in garrison.  Speaking of boots, I know some of the guys  have bought Swats from Full Spectrum Gear down the road but had to order in black pairs.  Glad to hear they are sold at Valley Work Wear as well.  A few of the guys in my Pl had said they were quite happy with the American issue boots they bought in KAF but I would probably won't to try something out prior to going over.  I've seen all the Converse ads and must say I'm a little suprised to hear they are a decent boot.

As far as a tv or chest rig, I've read up on quite a few of them but will start making considerations when the time comes that I know for sure whether I'll be carrying a C9 or rifle.  A point you brought up, about a higher profile during prone point, is something I hadn't considered before.  The same goes for an optic.  I have a few in mind for a rifle but would likely stick with the Elcan for a C9 unless I felt i could justify $1K for an ACOG.

I had considered the Oregon Aero BLSS Kit, but I'm a like leary on a 4 point system (ie. drilling my issue helmet).  What are you thoughts on that?  Who sells the BLSS kit here in town?  I was just going to order the Sydex pad kit from CP Gear.

Anyway, thanks again for the help and suggestions.  My one regret is that I've turned this into yet another kit thread (not my intention).....

Just bear in mind that those are just a few issues that I saw when I was over there as part of my tour 3-06.  Notice how I said a lot of "I".  Keep abreast of the way things are going over there as best that you can, stay realistic and understand that you may or may not be doing the same kind of fighting that we were.  There were lots of obstacles and vegetation over there and the prone was not an option other than for my "marksmen" that I employed.

As to the Bliss Kit...I stayed with the 3 point hitch and it never fell apart on me.  There is a guy around here that sells it.  I think his name was Smith...I'll look into it for you.  And look into investing into a set of ESS Profile NVG goggles (I had a pair stolen from me they were that good).  The issued BEW work...seen it myself, they're just not all that comfortable all of the time.  Again, wait for the CofC, but look into ESS BEW or even nice Oakley ballistic glasses...I am looking into placing an order someday if I can get enough guys on line.  They offer a military discount.

I'll talk to some of my soldiers and see if any of them used a sight on their C9's.  I am thinking no, but it will be your preference.  It takes off a lot of weight and if you get the time to become proficient with it, you really don't need it (my opinion).

Anyway, you sound like you are on the right track...keep asking guys with experience and take it slow...no plan ever survives H-hour and things will change right up until the day you leave.

Pro Patria

Jeff Smith with SmithTac I believe is who you are refering to there Footy and I believe he does sell the Bliss kit. Oh and this may sound odd but I know must of the Recce guys went and got Web gear for the C9 guys and even the rifleman too. Proper web gear not our 82 pattern plastic gromet stuff.

For me personally, in a dismounted role, when carrying the minimi(C9) or the Mag58(C6), its my webbing belt all the way. I've got 6 minimi pouches on it, for carrying the minimi, the front two will hold (give or take) 300 each (less for the 58 because of the size obviously), plus the 200round box on the gun. The side two hold your water bottles or more ammo if you've a camel back on and the rear two will hold my cleaning kit plus odds & sods in one and my rations in the other.
That weight is far easier to carry, its on your shoulders and your waist, and its not doing your back in as badly as it would with a chest rig on.
I wouldnt ever want to carry the gun wearing chest gear, the large room and size of the pouches you can put on a belt make it a lot easier to carry a combat load. If you've got a rifle its different, but like HoM said, you'll find gunners who'll wear webbing belts instead of chest rigs and it works great.

but my suggestions would be the BFG Two Point Sling for M60/C6 / C9 from One Shot Tactical or maybe the TAG CQC Double Hook Sling (cheap but you could try it out) both are on http://www.oneshottactical.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=oneshot&Category_Code=SL-BFG.  Again, some guys bought some slings that fell apart, so buy it early and trial it out as soon as you can.

Which fell apart?  BFG, TAG or a different brand?  If it was the BFG or TAG, I will replace them.

Also if you want to take a look at the C6/C9 sling from BFG, just let Amanda know at Full Spectrum Gear and I can send them up in her next order.

DirtyDog said:
I had considered the Oregon Aero BLSS Kit, but I'm a like leary on a 4 point system (ie. drilling my issue helmet).  What are you thoughts on that?  Who sells the BLSS kit here in town?   I was just going to order the Sydex pad kit from CP Gear.

Theres no need to drill the 4th hole.  I've had my BLSS kit installed in my issue helmet for about 6 months now an I've had no problems with only having it secured through the 3 holes on the helmet. Only problem I had with the kit was that the screws in the issue helmet weren't long enough, etc to secure the BLSS helmet band.. I haven't gotten around to getting longer screws or anything yet so I just got it secured by zap straps(never had 'em snap or anything, least not yet)

I ordered my BLSS kit from oneshottactical.com

Farmboy said:
Which fell apart?  BFG, TAG or a different brand?  If it was the BFG or TAG, I will replace them.

Also if you want to take a look at the C6/C9 sling from BFG, just let Amanda know at Full Spectrum Gear and I can send them up in her next order.

None of the ones that I have heard of guys buying from one shot tactical.  But that is awesome to know that you will replace them.  My suggestion was that if he gets it now, if it is a good sling, it won't fall apart and he will have it for the tour.

As to the Bliss Kit, again, I have it hooked up by 3 bolts as well...zap straps and gun tape all went into making sure that the other minor deficiencies were taken care of.  Good luck.

Back