• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

'Hated' church group to protest Tim McLean funeral

Scoobie Newbie

Army.ca Legend
Inactive
Reaction score
http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20080807/funeral_protest_080807/20080807?hub=Canada

Updated Thu. Aug. 7 2008 2:03 PM ET

CTV.ca News Staff

A church group described in a British documentary as "the most hated family in America" says it will head to Canada this weekend to protest Tim McLean's funeral.

The daughter of the founder of the Westboro Baptist Church, based in Topeka, Ka., told CTV.ca she and several other church members will go to Winnipeg on Saturday to demonstrate against what she described as McLean's "filthy way of life." Shirley Phelps-Roper said his life was emblematic of Canada's moral decay.

"God handed us a gift," Phelps-Roper said in a phone interview on Thursday.

She said McLean deserved his death by beheading on a Greyhound Bus last week.

"(His death was) supremely unemotional. You got God shaking in rage. There is no emotional component ... He was a rebel against God. He was taught to be a rebel by his parents. He came from a rebel country ... They brought this wrath upon his head. And it sucks to be him and it sucks to be them," Phelps-Roper said.

She said his brutal murder was a sign from God.

"You gotta connect the dots, people ... from your idols to your filthy way of life," she said.

"Here's what I know. He is dead and God does not do that to people that serve in his truth."

Phelps-Roper described McLean -- who she had never met -- in an insulting, insensitive and graphic manner. Her crudest descriptions of the 22-year-old are not printed.

"I haven't met him personally, but he has nothing going on," she said dismissively.

"(His life) was all about him. Blah, blah, blah ... He was a rebel ... I don't need to know anything else ... I don't need to know the minutia. Everything you need to know is right there."

The Westboro Baptist church has gained notoriety in recent years for setting up protest pickets at the funerals of U.S. soldiers who died in the Iraq and Afghanistan wars.

Church members claim the deaths are part of God's wrath against Americans for turning their back on his teachings. They have repeatedly called the U.S. a "fag" nation, a phrase Phelps-Roper used repeatedly to describe Canada.

Phelps-Roper said she does not mind that her family is reviled by the majority of Americans. She claimed she rejoices when people say they despise and hate her family.

"I say, 'cha ching.' That goes in our bank. God gives us tokens of his love," she said.

Phelps-Roper said members of the Westboro Baptist Church, which numbers about "70 souls," is comprised mainly of a single extended family.

McLean was killed on July 30 after being stabbed repeatedly on a Greyhound bus by a complete stranger. He was then beheaded.

Vince Li, 40, has been charged with second-degree murder. A psychiatric evaluation has been ordered for Li.

I may have to take a roadtrip and express my condolences.

What...

the...

F@#$%^&*k?

For the record, here's why this group thinks this man was killed:
"Earlier this week, the Westboro Baptist Church -- an organization branded hate group known for protesting the funerals of deceased American soldiers -- announced they would picket the funeral of McLean to let Canadians know that the Greyhound bus slaying was God's response to Canadian policies enabling abortion, homosexuality and adultery."

I feel sorry for the dead man, his friends and his family.

I'm scared, as well as a bit saddened, about the man charged in this murder, but there may be more than we know yet.

I feel nothing but disgust and contempt for anyone who, even if the group thinks what they think, would intrude this way on the grief and shock of a family in a situation like this. 

Is this what the God you see wants?  Funny, a lot of us believe the God we see thinks a bit differently than the one you see.

In the US police have had to have a cordon between the mourners and this group...some mourners were quite prepared to have the group mourn one or more of their own.....

Are these people on a "No Travel List" of any kind?  It could be a good test of Homeland Security, US Border Services, Canadian LEOs, CBSA and numerous other Agencies, in stopping these people at the Border.

Too bad that 22 year old was killed and not the Phelps pycho.

What a skid mark to society.
Like what, not enough soldiers are dying overseas for them to protest they need to branch out?

Seriously can you imagine how many people across North America will cheer when she dies? Millions of people.

I hope one of the 'counter-protesters' bring a wooden axe with the name Otis carved in it to the funeral.

From the link provided by milnewstbay:

Shirley Phelps-Roper, daughter of Fred Phelps, refused to say if members of the church have successfully crossed into the country, but said, "if we get blocked at one crossing, we'll try another."

Anyone remember Hands Across America?  Let's have our own version of Hands Across Canada.....

PoliceLine.jpg

Well I just wrote my federal MP on the matter in a clear and professional way.  If anyone else cares to do so you can find them here:

http://webinfo.parl.gc.ca/MembersOfParliament/MainMPsCompleteList.aspx?TimePeriod=Current&Language=E

Thanks for the link, just wrote mine.
EVERYONE on army.ca should find the name and email of their MP off the above link and write them.

This is absolutely disgusting.  I could easily end my post there, but I'll try to keep it civil and continue.

Why single out this mans death as the one to come into Canada and preach their hatred over?  Besides the media attention, and the brutality of the murder, what makes this killing any different from the others that happen in Canada?  I'm hard pressed to find any, and these...people...in my opinion seem to only be interested in this one because of the media attention.  It's a shame, and absolutely disgusting.  As if the McLean family hasn't already gone through enough.
Hell, I wouldn't shed a tear if some one gave these people something to mourn about.  Not that I condone it, but most people I think can see there is a big difference between Tim McLean (or any other respectable citizen) and this so-called church.
What attention Wh***s.  I seriously think they are praying to a different god than almost every other Christian.

Oh, and if any member of the media reads this, I'm not a member of the Canadian Forces, so don't try to use this post against them.  They are the ones who take it upon themselves uphold freedom of speech and expression.  Don't forget that, please.  They are no different than you or I, it's just the job they do.

Lone Wolf Quagmire said:
Well I just wrote my federal MP on the matter in a clear and professional way.  If anyone else cares to do so you can find them here:

http://webinfo.parl.gc.ca/MembersOfParliament/MainMPsCompleteList.aspx?TimePeriod=Current&Language=E

Done too, here's the letter I sent:

Dear Mr Cotler,

It has recently come to my attention that members of the infamous Westboro baptist church have expressed their will to attend the funerals of Tim McLean.

Without Doubt you know of Tim Mclean, the unfortunate and tragic victim in the Greyhound bus affair.

You probably may also know of the Westboro baptist church. This particular group has made itself known by attending a fallen US soldier's funerals and setting up a picket line while insulting said soldier qualifying him of "fag" and also calling their nation one of "faggots".

Most would agree that these kind of comments and actions are highly offensive and inappropriate.

The problem lies with the fact that members of this church are now planning to attend Tim McLean's funerals for the same offensive and hateful reasons like that for US serviceman.

I pray that they will not be allowed to bring further indignity to Tim McLean's memory and make his family suffer after such a harrowing experience.. They come in order to spread their message of hate and intolerance, they are an insult to all Canadians, to Tim McLean's family and friends and to his memory.

This is why I now ask you to do everything in your power to deny them all access to our fair soil.

Yours Sincerely.

****** ********, yet to be elector.

PS: A link to a CTV article covering the matter.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20080807/funeral_protest_080807/20080807?hub=Canada

Wow...a bunch of complete nutjobs is the most polite way I could think of to describe them.  I truly hope that CBSA, RCMP - and any other agencies involved - deny them entry, and make sure they don't enter.  Probably for their own safety, in addition to their intentions.

So let me just make sure I have this straight.  This is a CHURCH, in which they claim to be loyals servants of God.  However, they show their service by delighting in murder & causing people pain, in a time in which they are already mourning??  They judge people whom they have never met, and delight in their suffering??

I'm not familiar with CBSA & RCMP policy....would people like that even be permitted to enter the country?  Technically, they have the freedom to believe & say whatever they want.  But when their intentions are to cause emotional/mental pain to our citizens - would they still be permitted to enter??

cbh99 i could not agree with you more , people like that are disgusting it makes me feel sick to the sub cockle of my heart that people think that way.

CBH99 said:
Technically, they have the freedom to believe & say whatever they want.  But when their intentions are to cause emotional/mental pain to our citizens - would they still be permitted to enter??
Actually, they don't have the right to say WHATEVER they want, we have the hate speech law that should be used against them
Quote:
Public incitement of hatred

319. (1) Every one who, by communicating statements in any public place, incites hatred against any identifiable group where such incitement is likely to lead to a breach of the peace is guilty of

(a) an indictable offence and is liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding two years; or

(b) an offence punishable on summary conviction.

Wilful promotion of hatred
(2) Every one who, by communicating statements, other than in private conversation, wilfully promotes hatred against any identifiable group is guilty of

(a) an indictable offence and is liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding two years; or

(b) an offence punishable on summary conviction.

So if they use their standard "God Hates F..." they should find themselves in the back of a paddy wagon.

I hope the police and judges use the tools at their disposal to send the appropriate message to these religious nutjobs.

WrenchBender

Can you imagine what it would look like, getting deported out of Canada? One of the most accepting countries in the world? Wow, that would make my day. As for my personal views on them, that shall be personal, but I think people have an idea where abouts I stand (Right beside the rest of you)

Lone Wolf Quagmire said:
She said McLean deserved his death by beheading on a Greyhound Bus last week.

Hello to my fellow members and respected guests,

Wow, goes to show you that some people have some seriois mental issues, and others who follow such, are also in need of some serious shock treatment.

She should not even be given the time of day, yet alone publicity, shame on any credible media source for running such a story.

Coming to Canada to stir the pot like this, well, the Border people should refuse them entry, and frog-march these dog turds back across south of the 49th.

Peace, love and harmony,

OWDU

The Phelps clan is like a three year old throwing a temper tantrum.  The best thing to do is to ignore them, as the controversy they create is what feeds them, at least in my opinion.

My apologies if I post the link incorrectly - http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20080807/funeral_protest_080807/20080807?hub=TopStories. If it is posted wrong please correct it for me.

In a nut shell the order has been given to deny them entry into Canada. Thank God.

Back