• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Harry and Meghan to step down as senior royals

tomahawk6 said:
They have lost their title HRH but retaitain their Dukedom. Anyone have further insight ?

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/prince-harry-meghan-markle-queen-announcement-royal
Here's a touch of analysis from the BBC ...
... They will always be, the Queen writes, 'much loved members of my family'.

But that's about it. No royal title, no royal duties, no military appointments, no tours, most of their time spent in Canada, no public money.

It is harder to think of a much cleaner break than this. Harry and Meghan are still members of the Royal Family, but they are effectively no longer royal.

The early talk was of a much more mixed life - one where perhaps Harry and Meghan continued with some royal duties, dividing their time equally between the UK and Canada.

But the contradictions and conflicts of interest were too many.

There are still lots of details to thrash out.

And the whole thing will be reviewed after a year.

But a new life awaits Harry and Meghan - celebrities, certainly, but a different kind of royalty ...

A little more from the Royal Info-machine ...
Published 18 January 2020
Statement from HM The Queen.

Following many months of conversations and more recent discussions, I am pleased that together we have found a constructive and supportive way forward for my grandson and his family.

Harry, Meghan and Archie will always be much loved members of my family.

I recognise the challenges they have experienced as a result of intense scrutiny over the last two years and support their wish for a more independent life.

I want to thank them for all their dedicated work across this country, the Commonwealth and beyond, and am particularly proud of how Meghan has so quickly become one of the family.

It is my whole family’s hope that today’s agreement allows them to start building a happy and peaceful new life.

ENDS​

Statement from Buckingham Palace

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are grateful to Her Majesty and the Royal Family for their ongoing support as they embark on the next chapter of their lives.

As agreed in this new arrangement, they understand that they are required to step back from Royal duties, including official military appointments. They will no longer receive public funds for Royal duties. 

With The Queen’s blessing, the Sussexes will continue to maintain their private patronages and associations. While they can no longer formally represent The Queen, the Sussexes have made clear that everything they do will continue to uphold the values of Her Majesty.

The Sussexes will not use their HRH titles as they are no longer working members of the Royal Family.

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have shared their wish to repay Sovereign Grant expenditure for the refurbishment of Frogmore Cottage, which will remain their UK family home.

Buckingham Palace does not comment on the details of security arrangements. There are well established independent processes to determine the need for publicly-funded security.

This new model will take effect in the Spring of 2020.

ENDS​

Apparently, moving to Canada does not provide a paparazzi-free environment.

https://theprovince.com/news/canada/prince-harry-arrives-in-canada-to-prepare-for-non-royal-life-2/wcm/c7388602-5483-49dd-9007-b391f0b24a2a
Day One in Canada: Harry, Meghan threaten legal action against paparazzi outside B.C. home

The Sussexes say paparazzi are permanently camped outside their home with long lenses trained at their B.C. residence

LONDON —  Prince Harry and his wife Meghan have issued a warning over harassment by paparazzi photographers in Canada after agreeing to give up their royal duties to start their new life outside Britain, according to Sky News.

The warning comes after Meghan was photographed on Monday in North Hill Regional Park on Vancouver Island, carrying eight-month-old son Archie in a baby sling and walking her two dogs, Guy and Oz.

Lawyers say the pictures were taken by photographers hiding in bushes who did not obtain her consent, the BBC reported.

In addition, the Sussexes say paparazzi are permanently camped outside their home with long lenses trained at their residence, Sky said.

The couple have made some changes to the area to make it more secure. The property sits at the end of a private road, behind a gate. But since the royals moved in, a white tarp has been placed behind it to provide added privacy.

A temporary metal fence has also been erected along the edge of the property that leads down to a public beach, and a security camera and dog now keep watch.

The legal warning comes on Day One of the couple’s new life in Canada. Harry arrived in Canada early on Tuesday to join Meghan.

Harry was shown arriving on Vancouver Island by Sky News, just days after reaching an arrangement with Queen Elizabeth and senior royals that will see him and his wife Meghan leave behind their royal roles to seek an independent future.

The lack of photos has not been for want of trying. Earlier this month, Miles Arsenault, the owner and captain of Deep Cove’s Bay to Bay Charters, refused to take three people, including a cameraman out in his water taxi after he learned that his client, a Japanese television station, wanted to stake out Meghan’s address, which is secluded and best viewed from the water.

“It was a no-brainer for me to walk,” Arsenault said, despite the fact that the retired photographer only launched his water taxi business six months ago and could use the business.

“It’s just not the way that I wanted to be remembered — as carrying paparazzi around.”

. . . .

Paparazzi are such parasites. Only slightly worse than the masses that consume their content and fuel their ridiculous actions. Photographing someone on their private property without consent should be illegal.

Candid camera is illegal.  The difficulty is in fighting it.  The argument used by the press is one of the public's need to know overrides an individuals right to privacy when said individual is a public figure.  Harry has resigned and wishes to be eliminated from the public eye except for those occasions when family responsibilities bring him back to England or when he signals his intent to make a 'public' appearance.  Given the normal person's attention span, he should be allowed to sit back in about a week.  Give it a month before he can go into a pub

YZT580 said:
Candid camera is illegal.  The difficulty is in fighting it.  The argument used by the press is one of the public's need to know overrides an individuals right to privacy when said individual is a public figure.  Harry has resigned and wishes to be eliminated from the public eye except for those occasions when family responsibilities bring him back to England or when he signals his intent to make a 'public' appearance.  Given the normal person's attention span, he should be allowed to sit back in about a week.  Give it a month before he can go into a pub

I seriously doubt that.

Like a straggling moose calf, breaking away from the main Royal 'herd' and leaving a country of 60 million for a tiny rural community like North Saanich will likely mean that they will be easier targets than ever to get picked off by the tabloid wolves.

I think they will be aggressively boring, forcing the press to return to the allegations against the man who doesn't sweat... which will end badly for a former Sea King pilot.

Now they're getting a real taste for what it's like to be a BC landowner/ settler :)

Royal rumble: Native band claims Harry's B.C. mansion on 'stolen land'

Some of Prince Harry and Meghan’s Markle’s new Vancouver Island neighbours aren’t quite ready to roll out the welcome wagon.
The Tseycum Nation claims the pair’s rented $18-million mansion is built on land “stolen” by British colonizers almost two centuries ago.
“We get no money from the land now, nothing. But for us, it’s just not right houses like that are built there,” Chief Tanya Jimmy told the Sunday Mirror.

https://vancouversun.com/news/national/royal-rumble-native-band-claims-harrys-b-c-mansion-on-stolen-land/wcm/a59f22e4-8921-4a29-b014-71fbe6966170

SeaKingTacco said:
Uh-huh. Hey, I wonder what the Douglas Treaty says about all this...

Well, this is what the Tseycum First Nation has to say about the Douglas Treaty.

https://www.sct-trp.ca/apption/cms/UploadedDocuments/20187003/001-SCT-7003-18-Doc1.pdf

Well if he gets bored and is reading this, he is more than welcome to inspect our Navy League Corp in North Van who will welcome him (and his wife) with open arms.

Colin P said:
Well if he gets bored and is reading this, he is more than welcome to inspect our Navy League Corp in North Van who will welcome him (and his wife) with open arms.

Write the Queen and request a Royal Visit. Seriously. It's a thing.

https://www.royal.uk/contact

Don't specify that you want 'The Duke and Duchess of Such and Such' etc, as they'll put it in the hopper with the rest of their visit plans out this way and you could get any of 'The Firm' dropping in to see the kids.

I used to know one of the guys that managed these things and it's quite the operation. They were always disappointed that more people didn't write in....

Colin P said:

Is it still the Hon. Clarence Wallace Corps?  Both my nephews were members of that corps....many years ago.

BillN said:
Is it still the Hon. Clarence Wallace Corps?  Both my nephews were members of that corps....many years ago.

Yes it is, we parade Tuesday nights 6;30 to 9:00pm, drop on by and say hello. Our FB site https://www.facebook.com/NLCC-Honourable-Clarence-Wallace-174880119252848/

BREAKING: Harry and Meghan have reached out to the Winnipeg Jets and Vancouver Canucks for advice on living in Canada without a title.

https://twitter.com/Jonathan_Dunphy/status/1223253866139004930

Quite... eh? ;)

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/02/world/canada/harry-meghan-victoria-british-columbia.html

Haryy and Meg are house shopping in LA. She must crave the sun and warmth of LA. Its expensive but they might find something for a few million bucks.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/royals/meghan-markle-and-prince-harry-are-house-shopping-in-los-angeles/ar-BBZIQwE?ocid=spartanntp

this "article" says that they have 15 full time people in their protection detail. I wonder if that will continue

https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertainment/you-wont-believe-how-many-security-officers-prince-harry-meghan-markle-have.html/

I'm no security expert. But, I imagine they require three details, because they are pretty mobile, and not always together in the same place at the same time.

suffolkowner said:
this "article" says that they have 15 full time people in their protection detail. I wonder if that will continue

https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertainment/you-wont-believe-how-many-security-officers-prince-harry-meghan-markle-have.html/

A week is 168 hours.  That's 21 shifts of 8 hours, or four people full time for a single full time member of the detail If you assume 2-4 at all times (backup and they sometimes go to different places at different time) that averages out to 12 people full time, with 12 left over shifts.  Add in coverage for vacation / illness etc, and 15 full time is not an unreasonable size for round the clock coverage.

Back