• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Happy Pachino Day

vonGarvin

Army.ca Legend
Subscriber
Reaction score
This to my fellow Royals as well as to the Plough Jockeys out there.  Had to actually work today; however, my family and I had spaghetti for supper!

Pro Patria!
Paratus!

Cough cough,, ahem....

A happy Pacino day to you too, from a member of the Glamour Boys....

dileas

tess

the 48th regulator said:
Cough cough,, ahem....

A happy Pacino day to you too, from a member of the Glamour Boys....

dileas

tess
Ah yes, the Glamour Boys (not to be confused with the Glimmer Twins: 
glimmertwins.jpg

You see, I was unaware that the 48th celebrated anything other than the opening night of the Toronto Maple Leafs at the Gardens Air Canada Centre

I'm just kidding.

I know naturally that the 1st Bde of the 1st Canadian Division (WWII) was composed of The RCR, The Hastings and Prince Edward Regiment and the 48th Highlanders of Canada, and that all were involved on 10 July 1943 with the landing in Sicily.  What I didn't know, however, was that the 48th celebrated this day as well.

As do the Hasty P's, but I do not believe that three Regiments have ever formally celebrated it together.  I have heard that there was a gathering of retired members of all three regiments getting together in the Hasty P AOR this year.

According to the Pro Patria 2005, it shows the 1000 Islands Area Branch parading withe the Hasty P's on Pachino Day (2005?). 
As a young Hasty P (in the 1980s) I remember parading at the Cenotaph on those HOT july days.  Once I had the honour of standing vigil.
I still remember having that spaghetti in the mess tins and that cheap wine :D

I talked to a Loyal Eddies veteran yesterday but he was not much into the conversation, unfortunately. Don't know if was in Sicily or not. Anyway, happy day - fellas like CSM Nutley are not forgotten.

Yeah, happy birthday to Al Pacino, glad you guys make a fuss over it. :warstory:

Pachino Day Commemoration
and arrival of the
Distinguished Conduct Medal (DCM)
awarded to
Private Joseph Grigas
for actions at Pachino 10 July 1943

10 July 2006
Wolseley Barracks, London, Ontario​

http://thercr.ca/gallery/gallery_grigas_100706.htm

The Distinguished Conduct Medal

The Distinguished Conduct Medal (DCM), awarded to Warrant Officers, non-commissioned officers, and men, serving in any of the sovereign's military forces, for distinguished conduct in the field. The DCM was created on 4 December 1854, because of the Crimea War, and was first awarded to a Canadian on 19 April 1901. There were 2,132 awards to Canadian Army and RCAF personnel, plus 38 first bars and 1 second bar. - Source: Veterans Affairs Canada.

Citation for DCM; Pte Joseph Grigas:

“On 10 July 1943 in vicinity of Pachino airfield, "A" Company, The Royal Canadian Regiment of which Private Grigas was a member, was operating against enemy coastal defences. At 1000 hours, the company commenced an assault on a coast defence battery immediately north of Pachino airfield. Private Grigas's Second-in-Command became a casualty. Private Grigas took command of the section and, advancing under heavy fire managed to reach the perimeter wire. The remainder of the company was by this time pinned to the ground. Private Grigas breached a gap in the wire and led his section through to assault three enemy concrete posts which were knocked out in quick succession. Although Private Grigas's section was the only section of the company to enter the battery position, the attack was led with such determination that it caused the immediate surrender of the garrison of approximately two hundred men and in the capture of four 9.2 howitzers and large quantities of ammunition, small arms, and stores. The personal gallantry, determination and leadership of Private Grigas was largely responsible for the success of this operation.”

Five soldiers of The RCR were awarded the Distinguished Conduct Medal during the Second World War:

§ Lance Corporal William Leslie FAIRFIELD
§ Corporal Colin Grant FORREST
§ Private Joseph GRIGAS
§ Acting Corporal Norman John McMAHON
§ Private Howard Glenwood OTIS

10jul06_grigas_dcm.jpg

BUMP
It's that time of year again!  Happy Pachino Day, one and all!

I'm off to Parliament Hill this morning; the CO of the Ceremonial Guard has invited The RCR (serving and retired) to atend as guests: the band will play The RCR March during the ceremonies today, in honour of Pachino Day and of all the regiments and corps who landed on 10 Jul 43.

E.R. Campbell said:
I'm off to Parliament Hill this morning; the CO of the Ceremonial Guard has invited The RCR (serving and retired) to atend as guests: the band will play The RCR March during the ceremonies today, in honour of Pachino Day and of all the regiments and corps who landed on 10 Jul 43.

I wish I'd known that earlier today. My dad was a proud Hasty P...which makes me a proud son of a Hasty P.

My Dad was with 17th LAA Regt. and was in that neck of the woods.  Perhaps he participated in the landings as well.  Happy Pachino Day to all you Pongos out there.

Happy Pachino Day,

Then wine and pasta are going to have to wait till the weekend though (like always). ;D

Hatchet Man said:
Happy Pachino Day,

Then wine and pasta are going to have to wait till the weekend though (like always). ;D

Ditto: we, The RCR Association in Ottawa, will celebrate on Fri, as always with spaghetti and Chianti.

There was no wine to be had, but Royal Canadians (and one Hasty P - me!) feasted on spaghetti all the same last night at Camp Julien.

E.R. Campbell said:
Ditto: we, The RCR Association in Ottawa, will celebrate on Fri, as always with spaghetti and Chianti.

We celebrated with a run wearing 25 pound packs to the Ottawa river where we proceeded to run from the sandy beach into the water where we did squats.
Followed by running out of the water where we crawled up the beach in the sand throwing the packs ahead of us.
Then back into the water for more exercises. 
Back and forth. 
2 serials of 7 (or 10?)  exercises later we ran back to the lines, dumped the sand out of our shoes and had a great meal.

When I heard "Monday morning PT,  sugar cookies" I thought we were having snacks- I didn't think we'd be the sugar cookies.
I'll see if I can throw up some pics.

Back