• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

HAPPY HALLOWEEN: A Haunting YouTube Playlist

Great link. Thank you for sharing.
Happy Halloween and stay safe.  :pumpkin:

It’s that time of year again! :pumpkin:

Here’s a video mostly highlighting Canadian supposedly haunted locations. I’ve heard a lot about the Jailhouse-turned-hostel in Ottawa and used to drive past it regularly, so that was fun to see! The channel hosting this countdown has quite a variety of creepy watches perfectly suited for Halloween. Hope you enjoy! :BCat:

5 Creepiest & Most Haunted Locations in the World | Canada...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LNpENOYqykg

Would stories of personal experience be appropriate to share in this thread? I'd been debating making a video of myself telling the story. :)

Still in the process of confirming a few details (a bit difficult, given that the principal actor in the story, my grandfather, has been dead for nearly a year), but I can at least share the basic outline of the tale. For obvious reasons, I'm planning on a few embellishments and alterations to make the narrative more interesting in order to make it a proper short story.

Basically, Papa was a pastor who was only ordained to conduct funerals, as well as to serve as what is in essence, a Protestant exorcist. My personal connection to the story is simply that we have his notes from those years, in addition to what he'd told us. I'm a generally skeptical person, but there's a certain reality of human emotion and experience which leaves no doubt that the person describing the events cannot be convinced they did not happen. The ending of the film Contact amply demonstrates this. I am still unconvinced, however, given the possibility that my grandfather was an extremely capable actor spinning an entirely fictitious yarn for the purpose of unsettling his grandsons.

One particular case appears to have haunted him - not because of some supernatural spookiness, but because of a very real human evil. You see, after being brought in to help relieve the suffering of a family and their elderly aunt, they found that the victim was inexplicably speaking in a deep voice with a German accent, claiming to be a certain historical figure. The "deliverance," as he called it (having been raised Seventh Day Adventist) went rather smoothly, whether through some psychosomatic action or genuine D&D-type Clerical work, and the family's immediate issue appeared to be resolved. The day and a soul were saved as it were.

Of course, a few years passed, and Papa gave up this particular practice (for reasons I've always suspected to be his own innate skepticism). Walking to work one day, he passed a young woman in her mid twenties, who reached out and grabbed his shoulder, speaking in a deep, accented voice, "Well, we had some fun all those years ago, didn't we?"

The reason why this particular case haunted him so much was because his degree, before he attended a divinity school in Nova Scotia, was in history, and he had listened to recordings of the individual that this thing, whatever it was, claimed to be. There was no discernible difference to his ears. That's what unsettled him so deeply.

Now, without any sort of proof or evidence, I'm forced to take this story as a "ghost story," but I still cannot be certain, given that my grandfather's reactions in telling this tale are profoundly difficult to fake. All I know is that this particular tale, with a fair amount of work, could be a very interesting horror short story. Whether it actually happened or not is impossible to say - I do not believe it did.

Granted, if I ever hear a deep voice with a German accent coming from a person from whom couldn't possibly naturally achieve it asking after my grandfather.... well, I'll get back to you on that.

~~~
Now for the real fun question - did *I* make this one up?

Happy Halloween.

Ah!  I liked that one.  Constantine style follow up  :BCat:

CBH99 said:
Ah!  I liked that one.  Constantine style follow up  :BCat:

Glad you enjoyed it. I have another, this one I know to be factual.

When my grandfather was at the end of his life, lying in the hospital bed, my father and my aunt made sure that someone was always at his side. In his sleep, he would say and do some peculiar things, so when he woke up one morning, my father asked if he was holding my grandmother's hand. My grandfather simply smiled and nodded. Perfectly ordinary thing to happen at the end of one's life, seeing those one dearly misses whom have gone on ahead - even if you have no sort of belief in an afterlife.

Of course, when a person who is not dying hears the voice of someone who has gone on to whatever's next whispering to the dying family member that it's time to move on, that's when things get a little freaky. My aunt passed away a year, a week, and a day before my grandmother (Oct 13, 2016), and there were four of us - including my late aunt's husband - who distinctly heard something uncannily like her voice telling my grandmother that she was waiting. Mass audio hallucination or a terrible practical joke, I have utterly no idea. It was a nice reminder that whatever troubles may have happened between my aunt and my grandparents, everything was forgiven by the end.

Personally, given that I do have a solid religious belief, I'm more than willing to accept the experience as genuine.... but that doesn't meant that I still don't want a practical, empirical explanation.

Although very different for most this year, I hope many were still able to celebrate in some way. Happy Halloween!

I once had occasion to spend a few nights in the old (and now long demolished) Work Point Officer’s Mess. It was a Victorian era building and was widely reputed to be haunted by a Subaltern who had committed suicide after being jilted by a girlfriend/fiancee.

On my first or second night in my small, second floor room, I suddenly woke up for no particular reason. The moon was bright that nice, so my room was fairly well lit. As clear as day, between the end of my bed and the door stood a young man in 19th century red tunic uniform typical of the British Army, including sword belt. The man was silent and looked perfectly normal...except he was just a little bit transparent and I could see through him the closed door behind him.

My immediate thought was the ghost story that I heard upon moving in. I had been advised that I might see a ghost and that he was harmless. I took it as a bit of joke the barracks staff liked to play on OCdts. Suddenly, this was no joke.
The thing was- I wasn’t scared. Nothing felt “threatening”. So, I just asked him if he wouldn't mind leaving my room snd laid back down and closed my eyes. When I opened them again, he was gone.

I suppose the whole thing could have just been a vivid dream, but, it doesn’t feel like it.

That’s a great story, thanks for sharing SKT.

I remember when I was around 9, I was up way past my bedtime playing in my room downstairs. I’d never had imaginary friends, but I often spoke out loud while enacting whatever adventures my toys were engaged in, or just thinking in general. I heard my mom yell down telling me to get to bed. So I hesitantly finished up what I was doing, walked over to my bed, sat down, pulled off my slippers, crawled under the sheets and laid down. Then it dawned on me that I hadn’t turned off my bedroom light. As was my habit then, I said out loud, “Ohhh, I didn’t turn my light off.” I sighed, sat back up, swung my legs over the edge of the bed getting ready to stand up, and while looking directly at the light switch, I watched it move down, and the lights went out. I shrugged, got back under the covers and promptly fell asleep. It wasn’t until a few years later while thinking about it that I realized it was a bit odd.

Obviously, there are logical explanations for things like that, but it had never happened before, and never happened again. The house didn’t have any electrical problems. The timing was perfect. If nothing else, it saved me a quick 10-12’ trip from the wall back to my bed in the dark.

Another quick one:

My son never slept well when staying over at his grandparents house. At the time, they lived in a home that was built in the 1860s. (Rafters in the attic stamped with the year confirmed this.) They’d done a lot of work to it, added an addition and extended the upper floor. My son’s guest room, however, was located in the original portion of the house.

We’d made it a habit to never mention anything like ghosts or paranormal things while he was around, but other guests/friends of the family had reported seeing shadows of a man while in the same bedroom. Finally, when my son was old enough to articulate things a bit more, around 2yrs, he stayed over one night. As usual, his sleep was restless. And when talking to us a little bit the next morning, he said he was scared of the man in his room.

He seemed to not be bothered as much as he got older, but I also recall sleeping in the room before he was born. I’d woken up for whatever reason, but was feeling very unsettled. I remember thinking to myself that I shouldn’t open my eyes and just get back to sleep. I was in my early 20s then, and at that point, no one had ever mentioned any strange happenings in the home.

This story, which I got second hand, is fascinating.

My cousin's wife is active in the local historical society in Ridgeway, ON in the SE end of the Niagara Peninsula about halfway between Fort Erie and Port Colborne. One day she was in the local museum when a couple came in and asked for information about a certain house in the village. In fact, the house had been owned by her husband's parents. The couple went on to say that their son, who was in his early teens, told them that he was being visited by a young boy of about his age, who remained silent, and left after a short while each time.

When she told me, I gasped and said "Larry", which caused her to give me a shocked look and a brief nod. Okay, explanation. My aunt and uncle had three children, the oldest of whom was a boy, Larry. He died in their home in 1943 at age 13 of a burst appendix. I was only three or four at the time, and was residing in a nearby village, so I have no recollection of him, but his loss hit the extended family hard. To compound matters, the new owners' son was living in the bedroom in which Larry had passed when the series of visits occurred. 

Wow, cool stories!
I have nothing to share, unfortunately, but I'm enjoying reading about your experiences.

Old Sweat said:
This story, which I got second hand, is fascinating.

My cousin's wife is active in the local historical society in Ridgeway, ON in the SE end of the Niagara Peninsula about halfway between Fort Erie and Port Colborne. One day she was in the local museum when a couple came in and asked for information about a certain house in the village. In fact, the house had been owned by her husband's parents. The couple went on to say that their son, who was in his early teens, told them that he was being visited by a young boy of about his age, who remained silent, and left after a short while each time.

When she told me, I gasped and said "Larry", which caused her to give me a shocked look and a brief nod. Okay, explanation. My aunt and uncle had three children, the oldest of whom was a boy, Larry. He died in their home in 1943 at age 13 of a burst appendix. I was only three or four at the time, and was residing in a nearby village, so I have no recollection of him, but his loss hit the extended family hard. To compound matters, the new owners' son was living in the bedroom in which Larry had passed when the series of visits occurred.

The Niagara area is very popular for those interested in these sorts of things it seems. An obvious reason may be because of 1812 involvement & sightings/activity, especially around Fort George, old Niagara-on-the-Lake, Queenston, etc. But there’s a lot of history in general. There are several who either know someone who’s had experiences, or have encountered something themselves. There are also a couple of other very specific, supposedly haunted locations that have gained popularity outside Niagara borders.

The Screaming Tunnel
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screaming_Tunnel

Blue Ghost Tunnel
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merritton_Tunnel

Back