• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

hand guns

• Thread starter rookie in training
  • Start date
I'm fairly confident that if the service pistol is replaced it will only be firing a 9mm NATO standard round. There is a reason for the NATO standard round, thus i cannot see the use of a non standard round pistol even if there is better performance out of other rounds.

I have to disagree about the 9mm Ball being too hot for the Sig MG34.

The practice round used by in the Sig is identical to the 9mm Ball round except for its primer.  The primer used in older 9mm Ball lots was not as sensitive and the lighter strike of Sig sometimes caused excessive misfires.  The current 9mm Luger FMJ round used in Sigs overseas and for practice has identical components to a 9mm Ball round, except for the primer, right down to the propellant.  And considering that MPs spend a whole lot more time on the range than most (or should) firing the FMJ round I would think that if the was a weapon compatibility problem it would be addressed.  In fact it was, by introducing new ammo for the Sig.

We never had any problems with the P225 using the current 9mm ball whilst we were in the Gulf at all and we were shooting everyday.

How many rounds fired a day?? The 9mm Luger is not the same round as the issued ball,put it on a cronograph and see the difference for your self.The issue ball has a higher velocity and sharper recoil than 9mm Luger. The Sig were designed to fire 9mm Luger nt military issue ball.This is evident in the fact the round had to be changed. Other units have been using the Sig series longer than the Navy or the MPs,the problems with IVI Ball and the Sigs have been identified for quite some time.

About 50-100...yes I know not that much but again we never had any problems with it. Who has used the P225 longer in the CF then the MPs and NLBP?

I shot about 200 rounds about a month ago. No problems at all. Besides being waaaay to tiny for my hands and feeling a bit light I like it.

Ex-Dragoon,

The unit that must not be named.  ::) (possibly)  ;D

MG42,

Once again I have to disagree.  The 9mm Luger FMJ used by the CF for training and use in the Sig overseas is made from the same components as the 9mm Ball Cdn Mk1 except for the primer.  In fact Ball is authorized for non-MP use in the Sig.

RopeTech said:
I shot about 200 rounds about a month ago. No problems at all. Besides being waaaay to tiny for my hands and feeling a bit light I like it.

I got to fire some SIG P225s at NSCC, and I liked them. And I have pretty big hands. I like the P226 alot too, it has to be the most comfortable pistol I've ever used. They give a bit more kick than the Browning, having a shorter barrell, but it doesn't take long to get used to.  I'll agree with you, the  SIGs aren't as heavy as a Browning, or a US M9. The body's of the SIGs being made of Plastic. (Plastic isn't it? Or a Polymer?? I'm not sure)

LOL good point Ammo Tech...although I thought they went with the P226/228.

Does anyone know where to get a Good Quality, CADPAT Drop Leg Holster? Preferrably one that can hold A Couple 9mm Mags too? (Browning Hi-Power type). NOT FAKEPAT. ]
Thanks

Andrew

All three weapons P225/226/228 share a very similiar mechanism.  Straight 9mm Ball can be fired from any of them.

the most comfortable pistol I've ever used.

For comfort the CZ75 is a great gun to hold and, although you don't really see them that much anymore, they were very easy at one point to get in a gun shop.

IT chambers 9mm and was made (I believe) as a Czech copy of the Browning High Power. Reasonably accurate, I don't remember off hand the mag capacity.

Im almost positive it was the P225. You could be right though. Of course if you are I dont know how I passed the written test on it.....seeing as I dont know its name. ;D

Slim said:
the most comfortable pistol I've ever used.

For comfort the CZ75 is a great gun to hold and, although you don't really see them that much anymore, they were very easy at one point to get in a gun shop.

IT chambers 9mm and was made (I believe) as a Chec copy of the Browning High Power. Reasonably accurate, I don't remember off hand the mag capacity.

I've Heard alot of good about those CZ75s. Alot of people favour them in IPSC. Although I haven't seen too many of them around. I'd like to try one sometime.

well, as long as we're dreaming, why don't we just petition the CF to get us Desert Eagle Magnums each?  ::)

Ghost, IPSC -International Pistols Shooting Competition. With Duty (Service) and Open Classes. Duty has to be a stock Pistol, with no Modifications. Open is kinda of self-explanatory....you can have whatever you want, ported barrels, scopes, rails, all the Bells and Whistles.

Yeah, Desert Eagles, now there's Firepower..... I think a .50 rounds is a little excessive.

OK, so for thsoe up to date on new weapons, how about a semiautomatic Beretta Cx4 Storm Carbine? One of the optional calibres is 9x19mm, with an up to a 20 round magazine. Yiou can get it in .40 S&W and .45 ACP if you want as well. It's a ncie looking weapon, basically a carbine in pistol calibre; Shoulder stock for stability, 16 inch barrel, 31 inch total length.  I'm sure that for a military contract they could shorten the barrel, and/or the stock. It comes with optional picatinny rails for modularity, too. Very easy field strip. Safety, magazine release, cocking handle, and ejector can all be switched left/right. Altogether, with a bit of Canadian adjustment, it looks like it could fulfill a PDW need. And of course, since it fires standar pistol rounds instead.

http://www.cx4storm.com/index.aspx

Yeah, I saw those Berettas a couple of months ago. I bet they're pretty expensive though. CF doesn't want to dish out much cash.....they cant spend what they dont have.

Back