• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Gun Control: US and Global II

Donald H said:
Oops sorry jarhamar, I posted the wrong link. Here's the right one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvN1EvrYYkk

Thanks for picking up on that because I felt it was important to point out to answer on the 'tactically inept' comment.
So she either got really lucky or she was very tactically adept!

Disclaimer: I am one of those Vile rural Albertans that that lives +/-30 mins from any police help. I have a shotgun. Other than getting taken by surprise by the door getting kicked in while I'm on my couch, which is not a standup gunfight scenario, I have certain spots in my home that are a better tactical choice than others, and those are where I'd engage from, before he even knew I was there, he would no longer be a threat.

PS Please don't ASSUME my intent, because you make an ASS out of U.  ME? I'm just fine.

Donald H said:
Oops sorry jarhamar, I posted the wrong link. Here's the right one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvN1EvrYYkk

Thanks for picking up on that because I felt it was important to point out to answer on the 'tactically inept' comment.
So she either got really lucky or she was very tactically adept!

No problem.

Does it really matter if she got super lucky, had God on her side or had John Wick shooting skills?

You've posted/mentioned that study, a few times I believe, that having a gun in the house doesn't make it safer.

Here's a woman who had 3 armed men break into her house and she used her own pistol to end the threat. One dead, 2 running for their lives.

To be fair I'm absolutely certain there are cases out there of home intruders shooting and killing armed home owners because the home owner had a gun. Had they been unarmed the home owner would have just been robbed.

At the end of the day isn't it really on the home owner to decide what they want?

Citing a disingenuous study to support a belief others shouldn't have the option to choose how they defend themselves seems no different than arguing gay sex should be banned because it disproportionately affects homosexual males (70% or some 28,000 out of 38,000 cases in 2017 in the US according to the CDC)

Target Up said:
Disclaimer: I am one of those Vile rural Albertans that that lives +/-30 mins from any police help. I have a shotgun. Other than getting taken by surprise by the door getting kicked in while I'm on my couch, which is not a standup gunfight scenario, I have certain spots in my home that are a better tactical choice than others, and those are where I'd engage from, before he even knew I was there, he would no longer be a threat.

PS Please don't ASSUME my intent, because you make an *** out of U.  ME? I'm just fine.

I haven't assumed your intent thank you. You made a statement on a person being inept if he/she got involved in a standup gunfight and I quoted an example of that not being so. Your fight's not with me.

The statistics shown in my link point out that sometimes the homeowner who tries to fight it out with their gun does just fine. The point being made is their success rate.

Jarnhamar said:
No problem.

Does it really matter if she got super lucky, had God on her side or had John Wick shooting skills?

You've posted/mentioned that study, a few times I believe, that having a gun in the house doesn't make it safer.

Here's a woman who had 3 armed men break into her house and she used her own pistol to end the threat. One dead, 2 running for their lives.

To be fair I'm absolutely certain there are cases out there of home intruders shooting and killing armed home owners because the home owner had a gun. Had they been unarmed the home owner would have just been robbed.

At the end of the day isn't it really on the home owner to decide what they want?

Citing a disingenuous study to support a belief others shouldn't have the option to choose how they defend themselves seems no different than arguing gay sex should be banned because it disproportionately affects homosexual males (70% or some 28,000 out of 38,000 cases in 2017 in the US according to the CDC)

Call it good luck or good tactical skills  with her gun, the lady is represented in these statistics.

https://www.thetrace.org/2020/04/gun-safety-research-coronavirus-gun-sales/

I don't see how we are disagreeing with anything that pertains to this discussion so I'll just let it go for now.

:cheers:

Back