• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Guardian is coming - New Human Resource Management System for the CAF

McG

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score
I have heard that Guardian will debut before the calendar year ends.  With all the success the federal government has had with the roll-out of major new software systems, I am a little concerned.  It has also been quite some time (at least a few years) since I have seen any formal presentation on the direction that it is being developed toward, and I did not find much searching this site for the Military Personnel Management Capability Transformation (MPMCT) project.

I remember hearing that Guardian was intended to have both member and supervisor tools (as opposed to the current system which has only clerk access).  Is this still the case (and if yes, is there common training)?  Will we finally see the end of the paper leave pass?  Will EMAA also be replaced with Guardian?  Should we expect the paperless personnel file?

And there was a time where no effort was to be expended in making Guardian backward compatible to sustain MonitorMASS, and then later it was maybe but not necessarily completely.  (Arguably, if the system has the right member and supervisor tools, then 80% of MonitorMASS becomes unnecessary).  Should we expect MonitorMASS to still be a thing in the new year?

Is there commonly available useful information on this topic that can be reached on the internet?

Open source, the DAG (Defence Acquisition Guide) is about as good as you'll see.  Note also the change between DAG 2015 and DAG 2016 - delayed timelines, although budget not changed (....yet).

From DAG 2016 - MPMCT
Military Personnel Management Capability Transformation

Replace Existing Systems with Newer or Different System

Objective: The project will transform military human resources (HR) and pay policies, processes, procedures and tools by changing and updating key policies and implementing up-to-date integrated information management/information technology (IM/IT) enabler, based on PeopleSoft 9.1 (or newer version). The solution, Guardian, will deliver an integrated, modern and flexible approach to military personnel management.

Requirements: The solution will require contracted services support to the planning, business transformation, change management and initial implementation teams, and the acquisition of a Solution Integrator (SI) that will plan, design and implement the integrated Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) solution to its Final Operational Capability (FOC). This FOC, using PeopleSoft, will cover several work packages such as, but not limited to, an upgrade of the Initial Operational Capability, implementation of pay, compensations and benefits, and other capabilities such as recruiting and appraisal.

Preliminary Estimate
•$100 million to $249 million

Anticipated Timeline
•2018 Implementation Approval
•2017 Request for Proposal Release
•2018 Contract Award
•2022 Final Delivery

Point of Contact
:

Deputy Project Director MPMCT
Phone: 613-992-2133

...from DAG 2015 - MPMCT
Preliminary Estimate
•$100 million to $249 million

Anticipated Timeline
•2017 ◦Implementation Approval
          ◦Contract Award
•2020 ◦Final Delivery

I think this what put on hold based on the phoenix issues; I can't seem to find the article but they decided to wait until that was sorted and reevaluate to see if the requirements change by the time that mess gets sorted.

Seeing as my wife didn't get paid for four months, was pretty happy to hear we weren't both going to be getting messed around at the same time.

Training is slated for Oct with roll out in Nov.  I recall 10 Nov in there somewhere as I remember thinking perfect timing - a day before Remembrance Day. 

Correction - training has started.  Got my emails for both courses today.

Although we travel through the valley of IT failures, we fear no evil because Helpdesk is here.........

Well turns out it is actually 3 courses as you have to complete a navigation course first.  Program looks good and appears to be an improvement.  Have to wait and see what happens when it rolls out.

Do recommend if you have to do the courses you hide away in a closed office where you won't be disturbed.

Colin P said:
Although we travel through the valley of IT failures, we fear no evil because Helpdesk is here.........

... Monday to Friday, between the hours of 0800 and 1600 EST.

MCG said:
I have heard that Guardian will debut before the calendar year ends. 

Does anyone know the expected downside to Guardian going live?  Six months late isn't bad for a DND/CAF project delivery date!

Wee bit longer than 6 months. it goes back to at least 2015.

Back