• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Guardian Article - Dear Limey A**holes

devil39

Reaction score
Ha!   An absolutely hilarious article on the subject of the upcoming US elections.

Apparently the Guardian had readers write in to undecided voters in Clark County, Ohio.   Some of their responses were published in the article below.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uselections2004/story/0,13918,1329858,00.html

And also Mark Steyn's view.

http://www.opinion.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/main.jhtml;sessionid=VC13MU5SSZDS1QFIQMGSM5WAVCBQWJVC?xml=/opinion/2004/10/19/do1902.xml&sSheet=/opinion/2004/10/19/ixopinion.html

Yeesh! Some scary mouth-breathers there! (they might want to study the history of the War of 1812 in a bit more detail....). However, to be fair, I haven't seen the Brit letters that these Ohioans were responding to. The Brits can be idiotically superior and patronising, and often seem to know as little about North America as they accuse us of knowing about the rest of the world. Cheers.

Texts of some of the letters have been floating around the 'net for a few days now.  There are some funny ones from both sides.  Some are funny despite the author's undoubted seriousness, but that just makes them funnier.  I suppose my response would've been "We won.  You lost.  Sod off."

LMAO!!! D-39:  .. reading those articles made me laugh for the first time in days... thanks.

A friend of mine, an American, points out that in spite of the fact that the US lost almost every battle of the War of 1812, they in fact got pretty much everything they had asked for...extra territory...

Knew about the first part, pretty much ambivalent about the second...but he's the history prof...

Ahaha how did I miss this?!!?!

I hate English newspapers, they probably knew that this would have the opposite outcome of what they said it would.
Imagine what they could say
"GUARDIAN INFLUENCES AMERICAN ELECTION. BUSH WINS"

I suddenly remembered thinking how common it was to see "National Enquirer" style news papers in England instead of a decent daily.
The Americans were right to be pissed, but the common themes were hilarious. The teeth, the tea.

What is it with people trying to influence others' elections these days? 2000 saw Raymond Chretien publicly backing Gore on behalf of the Canadian government (before he was slapped down)... 2004 saw Michael Moore throwing his two cents into our election about Stephen Harper, and has seen a whole group of Liberal cabinet ministers giving their personal preferences on who they'd like to see win the US election.

The Yanks will vote for whom they will. Efforts to influence them, one way or another, will likely be counterproductive (remember Kerry being heavily criticized some months back about saying that several foreign governments had told him that they'd like him better?) The Americans do care about how they're seen abroad, yes, but they value their independence more.

I agree with Steyn - this has the potential to deliver Clark County (and maybe the election) to Bush. That'll make the Guardian happy...

Back