• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

"Green Shift" and the Liberal Party

Trinity

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
http://www.thestar.com/News/article/455623

Apparently the new liberal plan "the Green Shift" infringes on the copyright
of "Green Shift" which is a company here in Canada.

edit.

Garth Turner's view on Green shift
http://www.garth.ca/weblog/2008/06/23/the-site-that-barked/

This has larger implications:

http://www.nationalpost.com/most_popular/story.html?id=640924

Cash crunch hangs over Liberal party
John Ivison,  National Post 
Published: Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Chris Wattie/Reuters
OTTAWA -- The Conservative Party is planning another four by-elections for the first week of September - two in Quebec and two in Ontario - but has hit a snag: John Godfrey, the Liberal MP for Don Valley West, is not going to resign until August 1, even though he has already taken up his new job as head of the Toronto French School.

The delay would push the Don Valley contest into the middle of September at the earliest. Conservatives allege the Liberals have stalled Mr. Godfrey's resignation because they are so hard-up for money they don't want to fight four by-elections at the same time. The Tories are obliged to call a vote in the Montreal riding of Westmount on July 23 for a by-election as early as seven weeks later. They are likely to call contests in the Quebec riding of Saint Lambert and the Ontario constituency of Guelph for the same day.

The Liberals say the date of retirement was of Mr. Godfrey's own choosing and has nothing to do with electoral strategy. But a quick look at the recently-filed party financial statements for 2007 suggest that if it's not, it should be.

While the Conservatives are peppering the airwaves with commercials lambasting "Dion's tax trick", the Grits have produced a feel-good, glossy commercial for their "Green Shift" carbon tax plan that they can't afford to run on television.

The party's financial statements show an organization that is still solvent but one in which expenses outpaced revenues by $1.6-million last year. The largest source of revenue was the government allowance awarded for each vote received at the last election, which came in at $8.5-million. Contributions from grass-roots Liberals accounted for $4.7-million, compared to around $18-million for the Conservatives. This is the bitter legacy of Jean Chrétien's campaign finance reforms, which wiped out corporate donations, the source of 50% of Liberal fundraising. Stephen Harper's Conservatives have added to Grit woes by reducing Mr. Chrétien's $5,000 individual contribution ceiling to $1,000.

The financial statements also show a $2-million loan with an extremely punishing 9% interest rate, collateralized against the assets not only of the party but of a number of riding associations. This is highly unusual and indicates a degree of financial stress long suspected but never admitted by the party.

This is not just an arcane party issue - there are serious implications for the timing of a general election and the long-term competitiveness of the party.

The Liberals will be able to fund an election campaign as they have in the past by borrowing against the 60% rebate they receive from Elections Canada for expenses incurred during the writ period. This means they can borrow around $12-million of the $20-million they will need to fund a campaign, based on the rebate that all parties get for election expenses. But they will still need to raise about $8-million and the only collateral likely acceptable to lending institutions is the government allowance of $1.75 for every vote they receive. This means that if their vote goes down at the next election, they could conceivably be forced to spend the bulk of what they get from the taxpayers to finance their debt, leaving little money for anything else. This fear of a financial death-spiral is what motivated a number of wise old heads around Mr. Dion to urge caution when he was considering bringing down the government earlier this year - their concern is the survival of the institution, rather than the current incumbent.

"They can't afford to run and not do better," said one expert in campaign financing.

This is the background against which Stephen Harper recently raised his defamation claim against the Liberal Party to $3.5-million. Other storm-clouds looming over the Grits include a potential lawsuit by Toronto-based environmental consulting company, Green Shift, which is considering suing the party for damages after it launched its green strategy of the same name.

The only bright spot on the horizon is that contributions rose 60% in the first quarter of this year. While still eclipsed by the Conservatives, if the performance were repeated through the rest of the year, the party would move into the black on an operating basis. The Grits have recently launched the Victory Fund, an attempt to recreate the Conservatives' success at eliciting small monthly donations from a large number of grass-roots supporters.

Daniel Lauzon, deputy director of communications for the Liberal Party, said the party has made no secret of the fact that 2007 was a "challenging" year but said progress is being made. "I'm not about to discuss exactly how we are going to finance the next election, but I can tell you that we will spend the maximum allowable under the Elections Act, and I'm pretty sure we'll win too, given that we have the best team, the best leader and the best vision for the country," he said.

Even Liberals who see no chance of victory with Stéphane Dion as leader must hope that Mr. Lauzon's confidence is not misplaced if the Liberal Party is to remain a political force in the long term. Politics, as Will Rogers noted, has become so expensive, it takes a lot of money even to be defeated. This fact is becoming increasingly inconvenient for a Liberal Party being held together with duct tape.

National Post

jivison@nationalpost.com

Frankly, I am neither surprised or saddened by this; they reaped what they sowed. As a political party, they have been adrift for a decade or more, they have no coherent philosophy or vision, simply a collection of "Me too" ideas chasing after polls (the Carbon Tax is not an original idea by the LPC, simply one they appropriated and used their higher platform to promote), most of which are about the preception of problem solving rather than actually doing something about it (think gun control or Kyoto...).

So long as there is still some hope they could regain power and be able to offer perques and benefits to their supporters, you will continue to see support in the MSM and various institutions which gain from Liberal Party patronage, but once it becomes clear there is no hope (either as polling numbers begin to slide or more people wake up to the fact the institution is financially as well as intellectually and morally bankrupt), I think you will see the various cliques turn on the Liberals like wild dogs.

Aparantely their sense of entitlement is kicking in as well...reproduced under the Fair Dealing provisions (§29) of the Copyright Act,

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20080709/green_shift_080709/20080709?hub=TopStories

Dion calls 'Green Shift' lawsuit 'deplorable'

Liberal leader Stephane Dion called the decision to sue his party over its carbon tax plan's name "deplorable" Wednesday.
Jennifer Wright, the owner of Green Shift Inc., a company that helps businesses adapt to more environmental friendly products and practices, has launched a lawsuit seeking $8.5 million from the Liberals.
She says the name for the party's tax plan to curb greenhouse emissions -- "Green Shift" -- infringes on her company's name.
Dion says that the Liberals are not a commercial company and he sees no legal problem with the name of his green plan.
He said he was willing to work with Wright, but did not elaborate.
At a press conference on Wednesday, Wright said she had warned the party by letter not to use the slogan -- but her request was ignored.
"I suddenly just felt steamrolled,'' she said.
Wright told reporters about the confusion her company has faced since the Liberals unveiled their carbon-tax plan last month.
"We've been contending with phone calls asking if we have been taken over by the Liberal party," she said.
She noted that some people have even threatened to boycott her business because of an incorrect impression that her company has in some way endorsed the Liberals.
Wright said she delivered a statement of claim at the Liberal party headquarters Wednesday morning seeking $8.5 million "in general and special damages" and another $250,000 for aggravated and punitive damages.
The suit also seeks a court injunction to stop the Liberals from using the phrase "Green Shift." Wright said the trademark has been approved, but has not yet been registered with the federal government.
The Liberals say they've done nothing wrong. Liberal MP David McGuinty told CTV Newsnet Wednesday afternoon that anyone can search the Internet for the phrase "green shift" and see just how often it pops up in the environmental movement. He said he was personally using the phrase in the early 1990s.
"It's a bit mysterious -- in fact, puzzling -- why (the suit) is being launched now," he said.
McGuinty said he's confident the party and Wright's company will be able to come to an amicable agreement.
Wright has said a U.S. company is also using the term "green shift," but she dropped legal efforts against that firm because of costs and geography.
The Liberals have linked their website -- thegreenshift.ca -- to Wright's company website. There is also a disclaimer that states the Liberal website "is not affiliated with Green Shift Incorporated

Larry Strong said:
Aparantely their sense of entitlement is kicking in as well...reproduced under the Fair Dealing provisions (§29) of the Copyright Act

I wouldn't have call that "sense of entitlement" . Dion disagree with J. Wright about
"Green Shift" usage in English. He thinks it is in common usage, she thinkS her company
"copyright" (marque de commerce) it in 2003. I would call that a difference of opinions.

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/article/20080709/CPACTUALITES/80709116/1025/CPACTUALITES

"Selon le chef libéral, Stéphane Dion, «green shift» est une expression largement utilisée pour donner un sens à des politiques
conformes à ses propositions. Il souligne que ce n'est pas une pratique commerciale que son parti propose et se dit prêt à collaborer."

liberals....liberals... lol lmao
think they need some new blood,,,,
the stuff they are using is getting pretty rank..
jackie layton....har har ho ho hum hum
wheres me bottle of rum... yarrrr
pc chuckle  shucks damn i thought you were a computer
no wait i do have a hard drive,,,says will self distruct in 10 seconds
canadian action party bee bop doo wop what did he say
we said it first so there..
please disregard this post just trying to add a lil humour..
oh by the way captain spark and  lt commander woof say
fire,,,fire,,,fire for effect
well that was embareassing sir we forgot to load the bluidy thing
sorry just goofing off
mods please move to armd humour thanks
                      cheers ...
                                    scoty b 

Interesting enough, there is an US company by the name "Green Shift" as well:

www.greenshift.com

Perhaps Dion and Co. could have paid a few million to some Quebec PR firms to pick a better name....

Oops, my bad.  :-X

Yrys said:
I wouldn't have call that "sense of entitlement" . Dion disagree with J. Wright about
"Green Shift" usage in English. He thinks it is in common usage, she thinkS her company
"copyright" (marque de commerce) it in 2003. I would call that a difference of opinions.

I would call it arrogant indifference & copyright infringement.

recceguy said:
I would call it arrogant indifference & copyright infringement.

I would agree, and now they are trying to downplay the conflict by poo-pooing the theft as nothing serious.....If I owned that company, I would, as she is, be sueing their asses off.....

What's left to sue?

With a 2 million dollar loan outstanding, Harper suing them for 3.5 million and now 8.5 million by Green Shift....

Has any political party ever gone bankrupt?  I don't know how in good conscience someone could vote for a
political party who can't keep their own books solvent let alone a countries finances.

The Liberal's explanation fails the sniff test:

http://stevejanke.com/archives/269393.php

Green Shift: A lump of coal or a precious diamond?

Just how prevalent is the phrase "green shift"?

I'll be honest. I've never heard "green shift" before the Liberal Party launched Stephane Dion's carbon tax plan using that name.  Jennifer Wright's Green Shift Inc had been in business for five years.  After a cease and desist letter was ignored, Wright launched a massive lawsuit against the Liberal Party for ripping off the name of her company.

The Liberal Party defense seems to be that the phrase "green shift" is ubiquitous.  Liberal MP and environment critic David McGuinty stopped short of saying he invented that phase himself:

The suit also seeks a court injunction to stop the Liberals from using the phrase "Green Shift." Wright said the trademark has been approved, but has not yet been registered with the federal government.

The Liberals say they've done nothing wrong. Liberal MP David McGuinty told CTV Newsnet Wednesday afternoon that anyone can search the Internet for the phrase "green shift" and see just how often it pops up in the environmental movement. He said he was personally using the phrase in the early 1990s.

"It's a bit mysterious -- in fact, puzzling -- why (the suit) is being launched now," he said.

To the best of my knowledge, David McGuinty has not provided any evidence of his use of the phrase anytime in the last ten months, much less ten years ago.

In any case, I've always thought that odd.  In use over ten years, and not even a passing recognition of the phrase?

Or perhaps it isn't in such wide usage after all.  From the Facebook group Green Shift:

INTERESTING email from a Montreal-based media monitoring and analysis company (Influence Communication) - completed an exhaustive 12-month scan of all newspapers (14 000+) in 159 countries to discover that ‘green shift’ as a term has been encountered in only 62 occasions; this from over 15 million articles/editorials directly or indirectly related to the environment/climate change...etc. This contradicts recent affirmations expressed by certain political leaders.

We would like to extend a very special thank-you to Influence Communications for doing this research -- we would have pulled this all up for court but it will hopefully start to prevent the false-hoods that the Liberals have presented in their defence.

No mention is made if the research showed that David McGuinty was responsible for 50 of those 62 occurrences.  On the other hand, Green Shift Inc isn't mincing words.  Their position is that stating that "green shift" is a common phrase is a falsehood.

Ouch.

So on the one hand we have David McGuinty's assertion that "green shift" is as common as a lump of coal.  On the other we have Jennifer Wright's research that says "green shift" is as rare as a diamond.

And Jennifer Wright is right when she says someone is lying.

Dion is as bright as a burnt out light bulb, Hopefully the company that's under duress from our less than bright political blunderparty gets told to shove the greenshift right in thier brown spots.

The carbon tax will only stress out people who's pockets are already empty from high costs, low wages and taxes up the wazooo..... time to get a new economics advisior for Dion.

::)

It now appears that the Green Shaft Shift is being <a href="http://www.thestar.com/FederalElection/article/502283">thrown under the bus</a>...

Liberal Leader Stephane Dion said today that his Green Shift plan featuring a controversial carbon tax is not a major part of his election platform.

This is big...

Has any political party ever gone bankrupt?  I don't know how in good conscience someone could vote for a
political party who can't keep their own books solvent let alone a countries finances.
[/quote] +1...wait...wasn't there something about a cone of silence... :-X :D

I think the misses ought to get her monies from the Liberals...aren't they the party that is usually crying foul on someone else...

I believe it was the Liberals that pretty much took the CF down the proverbial &#$*er...if they got back in they would most likely recoup the money by having another stab at the CF  ::)

HL

Back