• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Great Britain Offers to help Canada defend its Arctic (CBC)

Britain offers Canadian military help to defend the Arctic

Experts say that concerns about sovereignty have made Ottawa reluctant to let allies operate in the region

Murray Brewster - CBC News

Posted: September 24, 2021
Last Updated: 5 Hours Ago

Britain is signalling its interest in working with the Canadian military in the Arctic by offering to take part in cold-weather exercises and bring in some of its more advanced capabilities — such as nuclear-powered submarines — to help with surveillance and defence in the Far North.

In a recent exclusive interview with CBC News, the United Kingdom's top military commander said his country is "keen to co-operate" and learn more about how to survive and fight in a cold, remote setting.

Gen. Sir Nick Carter said Britain would also like to "cooperate in terms of helping Canada do what Canada needs to do as an Arctic country."

More at link:

I suspect there is now a coordinated effort between London and Washington to bring Canada out of Defence slacker status…

My take is that this is a not so subtle message to "either step up or we are going to do it for you and you won't like how we necessarily do it".

Ironically this pressure has historically had the greatest effect on Canadian Defence spending.

I suspect there is now a coordinated effort between London and Washington to bring Canada out of Defence slacker status…
one can hope, but unless there is a lot of back room pressure, it looks more like "you aren't doing it so we have to", which may then lead to trying to get us to step up, especially in the arctic.

We have fallen so far behind and have so far to go. I expect it will be quite a shock to the Trudeau government

We have fallen so far behind and have so far to go. I expect it will be quite a shock to the Trudeau government
Au contraire, SO. I’m willing to bet that the 20-somethings paid by PMO to monitor the pulse of “Woke-anada” didn’t even bring it up to Prince Woke and his fart-catchers’ attention…

UK and US should just plant a joint brewery on Hans Island and direct NORSOVOPS from there…

Perhaps a very public visit by POTUS or VPOTUS to discuss matters of "mutual interest".

Followed by a very private "get your shit in order with your DND. Its a barrel of retarded monkeys and it needs to be sorted the fuck out" or words to that effect.

Perhaps a very public visit by POTUS or VPOTUS to discuss matters of "mutual interest".

What is it you think either of those two is capable of discussing?

What is it you think either of those two is capable of discussing?
The VPOTUS I have a better feeling about this discussion. I am going on the premise that POTUS or VPOTUS would be well briefed on our situation.

I think the real impetus for change would be a face to face with SECDEF and the CJCS and our MND and CDS.

But maybe I'm wrong. Who knows?

Anyways the offer of help to defend the Arctic by the Brits should be setting off alarm bells in our heads.

Harris is not highly regarded for policy competency. Nor, really, for political acumen. She didn't earn her current position; she was picked because of characteristics assigned at birth.

Harris is not highly regarded for policy competency. Nor, really, for political acumen. She didn't earn her current position; she was picked because of characteristics assigned at birth.
How was that different for all the white, male VPs that went before her?

:unsure:

How was that different for all the white, male VPs that went before her?

It wasn't. Somewhere on another thread I opined that the VP is the weakest part of the US system of government. VP candidates are selected for demographic appeal to complement the presidential candidate (thus Biden, not because of his experience and foreign policy acumen but because he was white and old and Obama was young and black). Just about the worst possible criteria, but the person is next in line if the president thunders in.

It wasn't. Somewhere on another thread I opined that the VP is the weakest part of the US system of government. VP candidates are selected for demographic appeal to complement the presidential candidate (thus Biden, not because of his experience and foreign policy acumen but because he was white and old and Obama was young and black). Just about the worst possible criteria, but the person is next in line if the president thunders in.
Hmmm…quite different than Canada where the democratic system appropriately selects the best candidate as D/PM….oh wait…

Hmmm…quite different than Canada where the democratic system appropriately selects the best candidate as D/PM….oh wait…
Deputy PM isn’t even a required thing. plenty of PMs never had one nor appointed one, Harper Being the most recent to not have one.

Back