• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Grammar Peeves

NMPeters

Inactive
Reaction score
Ok. Now I‘m sure this is rather anal retentive, but the spelling and grammar on a lot of these posts make my skin crawl. Here are the commonly misused words and their proper use:

Your - possessive as in "Your thoughts are idiotic"

You‘re - contraction of "you" and "are" as in "You‘re an idiot"

There - location as in "It‘s over there"

Their - possessive as in "That is their house over there"

They‘re - contraction of "they" and "are" as in "They‘re in their house over there"

Too - another word for also

To - preposition as in "Let‘s go to the bar"

Two - 2

And last, and most importantly, there is never, I repeat NEVER, any cirucumstance in the English language where it is correct to pluralize the word "anyway". EVER.

ANYWAY, I‘ll leave it at that for now.

NMPeters,

It‘s always been a problem, and will probably continue to be so. Your points are well founded and noted. We don‘t normally vette for this as it just results in posers, trolls and flamers starting wars. We‘re not going to teach anyone proper grammar here, though hopefully they‘ll take notice and check their posts before sending. Somehow though, I doubt it.

Oh my point is not to have anyone vette for grammar and spelling. I just want people to read that and maybe think a bit before they post up their replies so that I can stop using the red marker on my monitor. :D I know it‘s anal. I said that straight up. I just a needed to vent about it today.

ANG :threat:

OMG, Ms. Peters, you are like so right. Your a very smart person. People have got to understand that there point wont be tooken seriously if they‘re grammer and spelling sux.

Anyways,
L8r

Infanteer

Ah, yes ... Gramma Peeves and her home-made Troll House bikkies ... sigh ... sitting on her front porch watching the sun go down on Ottawa (it never sets - NDHQ drags it down ...)

If people stopped and re-read some of their stuff they write (sober second thought and all), some of the misunderstanding would stop and two yo-yos arguning the same point might cease.

Sound professional, treated like a professional.
Sound like you‘re Jethro and, well you get the point.

Taking a little time to reveiw before sending isn‘t anal, its called communications.

And for those out there who don‘t know the difference, God help our education system.

Here‘s an idea that‘s just crazy enough to work!

Cut and paste your post in MS Word and let the program correct your grammar and spelling. When the corrections are made you‘ll have a post that‘ll make any English professor proud!

Note: The above advice will not make a superior debater and will not gain you credibility with Infanteer if your post contains asinine, unsubstantiated malarkey.

No. You‘ll have postings that make Microsoft proud. And Microsoft can‘t spell anything other than American English. Choose Canadian English, and all it does is accept both English and American spellings at the same time.

But if you wander around correcting spelling and grammar all the time, it just ticks people off. As long as the sentence isn‘t so horribly constructed as to completely change the meaning (and it does happen), we let it ride.

Just don‘t tick off Infanteer is all. ;)

sorry nmpeters i went threw a battle school,not a spellin school.and my fav comeback when im off the island workin is;what do you say to a guy that can‘t read or write/////nice weld buddy......

I agree with Nick and the Major. Have a little respect for yourself and others and try to write your posts without butchering the English language. We all realize that this is an ‘informal‘ place to talk about the CF but just re-read your posts before clicking the ‘add reply‘ button.

**** when did this become a online college ha. People if you do not like grammer mistakes please don‘t visit newfoundland. Crap forgot to capitalize that guess I dont get full marks shucks.

Ahhhh, people taking pride in their ignorance. <sniff> Kinda reminds me of high school back home. <sniff>

Inf, you ‘mo, I told you that if you keep talking like a valley girl, you‘re gonna keep getting the urge to put out like one. Ho. :D

Yerstrday Eye cudn‘t aven spell Suppervisor, now Eye are one :blotto:
(You gotta love the sense of humour a dozen Newcies, chased with Bushmill‘s give you) :D

Originally posted by recceguy:
[qb] Yerstrday Eye cudn‘t aven spell Suppervisor, now Eye are one :blotto:
(You gotta love the sense of humour a dozen Newcies, chased with Bushmill‘s give you) :D [/qb]
Ghad we are Posh aint we?
Bushmill‘s,Hmmmmm slurp!

Now what‘s a Newcies?

Nick

.... I frankly don‘t care about how you spell or if you use proper grammar, so long as I can understand you.

The only thing I HATE, (and I believe I‘ve said this before,) is when people shorten EVERY word.
"I wnt 2 b da bst der eva woz."
I mean.. please..

Anyway, that was my little rant. Keep ‘em coming folks. :D

I HaTe WhEn PeOpLe SpElL ThEiR WoRdS UsInG CaPs In EvErY OtHeR LeTtEr. It DrIvEs Me NuTs! IsNt It AnNoYiNg?

that and when people try to spell things the "cute" Way, or the "homeboy" way.

Ie: OMG, like lets go 2 the mall, I luv Goin 2 the mall, let get there B4 it closes...

or: Whuts up boyz, I luv ma Peeps...

People like who type like that need to be placed under an HLVW while i perform a Brake stand and drop the clutch with the Diff and Interaxle Locks on.....

Back