• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Grade 11 Course Selection

JayB said:
The RHLI offers an english course during the co-op (from 1300 - 1430, right after lunch, I believe). Not sure about my local unit (The Lorne Scots) or any other units.
Oh okay, because we've been told that upon completion of grade 12 french immersion, we'll be legally bilingual. Could that be referring to us being given the chance to write the GoC test?

No, taking the three components of the second language evaluation are not at all tied to a specific level of formal educational attainment. It is offered to establish your second language profile when the military decides you need it. A reservist typically will not be offered the SLE unless they are applying for some sort of employment for which a second language profile is specifically required.

JayB said:
Oh okay, because we've been told that upon completion of grade 12 french immersion, we'll be legally bilingual.

This is possibly a bilingual certificate, proving that you have completed X number of credits in a second language. I know of a handful of high schools that offer this opportunity.

That's probably it then.
And Brihard, I want to apply for the ROTP, and was hoping that having learnt French for most of my life, I wouldn't have to spend my summers learning french.

JayB said:
I wouldn't have to spend my summers learning french.

As I posted before. You will not have to take SLT during your second summer in ROTP if you score BBB (reading, writing, and speech). As a matter of fact, you will also be given a spare a day during the academic year instead of taking a second language course, in your case French. If you're good enough at French and you score EEE, you will be exempt for life.

JayB said:
That's probably it then.
And Brihard, I want to apply for the ROTP, and was hoping that having learnt French for most of my life, I wouldn't have to spend my summers learning french.

One of our ROTP members here will have to comment on how second language training works for ROTP. I do not know at what point it is evaluated when one claims aptitude in the second official language, nor to what degree it factors in recruiting selection.

SeR said:
As I posted before. You will not have to take SLT during your second summer in ROTP if you score BBB (reading, writing, and speech). As a matter of fact, you will also be given a spare a day during the academic year instead of taking a second language course, in your case French. If you're good enough at French and you score EEE, you will be exempt for life.
That was really helpful, thanks!

Brihard said:
One of our ROTP members here will have to comment on how second language training works for ROTP. I do not know at what point it is evaluated when one claims aptitude in the second official language, nor to what degree it factors in recruiting selection.
Thank you for your help anyways!  :salute:

I ended up with this:

Uni English
Uni Math
Uni Bio
Uni Physics
Uni Chemistry
Uni French Grade 11 and 12
Open Fitness

I may not be able to do French since grade 10 french may not be offered in summer school. If I don't take french, will my RMC application lose competitiveness?

Hey Daniel,

A couple of my friends here at RMC are Pilots in the Engineering and Arts programs.
Your course load is perfectly fine for either of those programs. Pilot's one of those trades you can have any degree in.
About French, it's not mandatory, nor does taking french lower your competitiveness...

HOWEVER, you WILL need to take French at RMC until you're functionally bilingual. Really the only way it could affect your competitiveness is if you're bilingual or not.
So yeah, I'd take it because you don't want to start from scratch in French - especially if you're in the Engineering program.
It'll help you out in the long run so go for it now.

Thank you so much Kaygee! That helped alot! I'm not going for ANY degree, I'm going for either a science or aviation degree as they are preferred for the Pilot occupation.

Back