• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Governor General Announces Latest Valour Awards

Reaction score
Her Excellency the Right Honourable Michaëlle Jean, Governor General and Commander-in-Chief of Canada, announced today the awarding of 11 Military Valour Decorations—three Stars and eight Medals—to members of the Canadian Forces who displayed gallantry and devotion to duty in combat. She also announced the awarding of 38 Meritorious Service Decorations (Military Division), namely 10 Crosses and 28 Medals, to individuals whose specific achievements have brought honour to the Canadian Forces and to Canada.

http://www.gg.ca/media/doc.asp?lang=e&DocID=5536

Cheers FDL  :cdn:

Governor General announces 58 Mentions in Dispatches
October 21, 2008

OTTAWA – Her Excellency the Right Honourable Michaëlle Jean, Governor General and Commander-in-Chief of Canada, announced today the names of 58 individuals mentioned in dispatches for specific achievements that have brought honour to the Canadian Forces and to Canada.

The Mention in Dispatches is a national honour created to recognize members of the Canadian Forces on active service and other individuals working with or in conjunction with the Canadian Forces for valiant conduct, devotion to duty or other distinguished service. Recipients are entitled to wear a bronze oak leaf on the appropriate campaign or service medal ribbon.

http://www.gg.ca/media/doc.asp?lang=e&DocID=5528

While its all well and good to present these honours and awards to the entitled . I'd like to know why  personel who where doing their jobs are being given the same awards as those who have closed with and destroyed the enemy, assisted there in, or made the the ultimate sacrifice .  I mean Jeez Honourary Cols? I dont mean to take away from their awards , but you can see where the political Gimmes  are vs the warrented ones in my mind. . but any way Bravo to all . :salute:

This in from Regina's Leader Post!

Former Regina residents get military honours
Derek Putz, Leader-Post
Published: Wednesday, October 29, 2008
REGINA -- Two former Regina residents were among 11 Canadian Forces members who were named recipients of Military Valour Decorations on Tuesday.

Sgt. William Kenneth MacDonald was a recipient of the Star of Military Valour and Cpl. Bryce Keller posthumously earned a Medal of Military Valour. Next to the Victoria Cross, those medals are the highest military honours awarded in Canada.

Keller, 27, was killed in combat in Afghanistan on Aug. 3, 2006. He was subjected to enemy fire while helping his comrades assist a critically wounded soldier, and was mortally wounded himself. MacDonald was involved in an engagement the same day and ensured that his men held on until reinforcements arrived.

Email to a friend

Printer friendly
Font:****According to a release issued by Gov. Gen. Michaelle Jean's office, the sacrifices both soldiers made in risking their lives is why they were awarded with Military Valour Decorations.

The awards recognize members of the Canadian Forces who displayed gallantry and devotion to duty in combat.

Keller grew up in northwest Regina, and attended St. Bernadette School and Riffel High School. He is survived by his wife, parents, extended family and friends who said that being a member of the Canadian Forces was what Keller wanted to do.

Shortly after Keller's death, Master Cpl. Ryan Lacey told the Leader-Post that Keller was "one of those guys who was great to have around."

"(He was) someone you'll never forget," Lacey added.

The Governor General's office also announced the awarding of 38 Meritorious Service Decorations to individuals whose specific achievements have brought honour to the Canadian Forces and Canada. Honorary Col. Douglas Gordon Marr of Moose Jaw was one of those who's to receive the Meritorious Service Medal.

The recipients will be invited to receive their decorations at a presentation ceremony set for a later date.

-------------

I know Willy Mac very well, he was at the Honour guard at my Wedding back in 1991. Top bloke!

I am proud of ya Willy.

Last saw him in 2008 at the MJ Airshow, along with Mark C, Jamie S, and Ed S (and others). We all hopped into a CC130, they jumped out, and I had one hell of a flight!!

Regards,

OWDU, and congradulations to all.

axeman said:
While its all well and good to present these honours and awards to the entitled . I'd like to know why  personel who where doing their jobs are being given the same awards as those who have closed with and destroyed the enemy, assisted there in, or made the the ultimate sacrifice .  I mean Jeez Honourary Cols? I dont mean to take away from their awards , but you can see where the political Gimmes  are vs the warrented ones in my mind

I don't call the HCOL's award a political gimme, I think that call from you is very selfish, and unprofessional to condemn his recieving this award, and is totally uncalled for.

He has aided and done his bit, and accomplished lots for us. He would have been awarded within the guidelines set fourth in the criteria.

Whats next ax?

OWDU

axeman said:
While its all well and good to present these honours and awards to the entitled . I'd like to know why  personel who where doing their jobs are being given the same awards as those who have closed with and destroyed the enemy, assisted there in, or made the the ultimate sacrifice .  I mean Jeez Honourary Cols? I dont mean to take away from their awards , but you can see where the political Gimmes  are vs the warrented ones in my mind. . but any way Bravo to all . :salute:

I must echo OD's comments here.  Axeman, you have to remember that it's one thing to do your job.  It's quite another to go "above and beyond."  I dare say that if you were to look at the terms of reference for those being recognozed you will see that they likely performed many duties outside of what was required.  Some of these people may not have even had a ToR to go on, meaning that they were flying blind and still came out on top.  As for your remark about the HCols, I have met some that just wear the uniform, and others who make a point of getting involved beyond what is expected.  One HCol that I've had the pleasure of working with would come out on exercise with us regularly, no matter the temperature.  He has had a strong influence on many young officers and NCMs in his unit and is truly a part of the Sqn.  Truly a remarkable man.

axeman said:
Check out the write-ups on the requirements for the MSM and MSC.  "closing with and destroying" have nothing to do with them.  Valour decorations, on the other hand, do.  Honourary colonels, and others, do a lot of stuff behind the scenes that are noteworthy enough for meriting.  In fact, one could say that their service is meritorious.  I guess that's why they get meritorious service medals. 

Bravo Zulu to all!  :salute:

I must admit I found it odd to see two HCols on one honours announcement.  But while I can't speak to Marr's award, Goldring's work to create Canada Company should receive some sort of recognition.

The scholarship fund is quite welcome.  Canada Company members were also instrumental in making sure the mortgage insurance issues that raised their ugly heads over a year and a half ago were resolved in the widows' favour.

If the CF is to enjoy deep and broad support from the civilian population, those who build bridges between the civilian and military worlds should be encouraged and rewarded.

Whether that means they should all get a M.S.M. is a different question...  ;D

Babbling Brooks said:
Whether that means they should all get a M.S.M. is a different question...  ;D

As a guy who has that particular distinction, I have no issues with Mr Goldring getting it.  Now of course, some may question whether or not I should have received it... ;D

On behalf of my family, I would like to congratulate all of the recipients of said awards/decorations. Well done to you.

Congratulations to all :salute: This is long overdue for several of these soldiers. It's good to finally see them recognized. BZ!

OTTAWA - A five-man combat team who fought their way out of an ambush in Afghanistan are among 11 soldiers slated to get heroism medals from Governor General Michaelle Jean.

Two Stars of Military Valour - the country's second highest award for gallantry under fire - and three Medals of Military Valour are being presented for a single action last spring.

On June 4, a joint Canadian-Afghan patrol ran into a three-sided Taliban ambush in Zhari district, west of Kandahar.

Capt. Jonathan Snyder rallied the troops to return fire, Cpl. James Ball led a team to find a way out of the ambush, while Capt. Robert Peel, Cpl. Steven Bancarz and Cpl. Cary Baker stood their ground to cover the unit's retreat.

Ball and Snyder have been awarded Stars of Military Valour, while Peel, Bancarz and Baker receive Medals of Military Valour.

Snyder died in a freak accident a few days after the ambush, falling into an open well during a night patrol.

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/War_Terror/2008/10/28/7230301-cp.html

Back