• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Goretex Gaiters vs NEOS

Canuck10

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi all,
as winter approaches I'm looking into ways of keeping my feet/lower legs dry. A fair amount of people in my unit have NEOS overboots, but I've heard mixed things about them. I'm looking at either a pair of NEOS, or a set of Goretex gaiters to pair with my waterproof Lowa Z-8s. Gaiters would be cheaper and easier to pack, but I haven't heard much good or bad about them (either from buddies or on this forum). I have noticed however that a lot of the older guys favour gaiters over NEOS. 

Thanks for the advice.

I bought a pair of gaiters at Atmosphere. Excellent at keeping legs dry.
I use them snowshoeing

Canuck10 said:
Hi all,
as winter approaches I'm looking into ways of keeping my feet/lower legs dry. A fair amount of people in my unit have NEOS overboots, but I've heard mixed things about them. I'm looking at either a pair of NEOS, or a set of Goretex gaiters to pair with my waterproof Lowa Z-8s. Gaiters would be cheaper and easier to pack, but I haven't heard much good or bad about them (either from buddies or on this forum). I have noticed however that a lot of the older guys favour gaiters over NEOS. 

Thanks for the advice.
I wear Lowas GTX and Neos.  Perfect

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I never used NEOs, but I do have these gaiters and they're pretty awesome.

https://www.outdoorresearch.com/us/en/mens-crocodile-gaiters/p/2431180001010

Both work. NEOs are awesome and are widely used within the combat arms.

I have both.  I will use either depending on the situation and weather conditions.  They are primarily used during hunting seasons.

A lot depends on what you are doing. If it is something that does not involve a lot of long distance movement I wear Neos, so activities like defensive, ranges, mech section attacks but if it involves long marching then go with gaiters. I find that having a boot inside a boot is not ideal for long distances.

Thanks everyone, I'll most likely go with NEOS in that case.

If weight is an issue, go with the gaiters. If you're static or have somewhere to stash extra snivel kit, go with the NEOS.

Back