• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Global Warming/Climate Change Super Thread

Brad Sallows said:
In terms of energy policy, conservation is shorthand for imposed poverty and often (perversely, due to economic incentives) leads to a net increase in energy consumption in any event.

But it doesn't have to be.  Intelligently designed conservation policies can result in energy savings.  The fact that conservation policies are generally not intelligently designed is a separate issue.

Any model of the earth's energy gain/loss also has to consider blackbody radiation, and also has to deal with the reality of entropy - over the very long term, waste heat will be the greatest problem.

True, but these are just more variables, interacting with, but otherwise independent of human input of carbon compounds into the atmosphere.

dglad - I believe that climate fluctuates and their ain't nuthin I can do about that.  I can do something about protecting myself in the event it does flucuate - move, buy warm clothes, build a solar still, whatever.

Having said that I like a tidy house, my back yard neat, my skies blue and my water clear.  All perfectly reasonable objectives.  But having seen life in cess pits and deserts don't tell me that being untidy will be the end of us all.  Ditch the scaremongering that is all I ask.

As to conservation - as prices rise making Edward a rich man then industry will react, and is reacting, to keep as much money out of his grasping hands as possible  ;D  by converting from low efficiency electric motors to high efficiency motors, and from systems that use water and heat once to systems that use the same water and heat over and over again, cleaning it in the process.

What industry objected to was the governments of the west saying that western industry was going to have to suck up a massive recapitalization to replace motors and systems to continue doing what they are already doing while their competitors that already benefited from low wage regimes were building brand new facilities with capital transferred from the west.  Now whether this was conspiracy or confusion I don't know.

Keeping money out of Edward's pension funds is one goal that will drive conservation more effectively than government policy.  If government policy is to be used then it should be used on a reasonable time line.  The one thing that all good environmentalists have on their side is the sure and certain knowledge is that every piece of kit currently in operation is wearing out and needs to be replaced.  If you get 5 years out of a motor that is regularly shrouded in dust or immersed in water you are doing well.  The pump head will go in about 10 years.   

Normal attrition requires that that stuff be replaced.  Good policy would be to support/require more efficient replacements.  Fortunately the politicians don't really have to worry about that because every greedy, thieving capitalist in industry is working hard to keep money out of the hands of greedy, thieving capitalists like Edward (and myself).  ;D

It is not the endstate that was the problem.  It was the timeline and the transfer of capital that was the problem.

Kirkhill said:
dglad - I believe that climate fluctuates and their ain't nuthin I can do about that.  I can do something about protecting myself in the event it does flucuate - move, buy warm clothes, build a solar still, whatever.

Fair enough.  How about the other 5.999etc. billion other people on the planet?

Having said that I like a tidy house, my back yard neat, my skies blue and my water clear.  All perfectly reasonable objectives.  But having seen life in cess pits and deserts don't tell me that being untidy will be the end of us all.   Ditch the scaremongering that is all I ask.

I agree.  Scaremongering is worse than useless, because it polarizes people into those who want to act rashly and those who want to disbelieve completely--both irrational positions.  What's required is some thoughtful, RATIONAL consideration of the matter, and an appropriate response.

As to conservation - as prices rise making Edward a rich man then industry will react, and is reacting, to keep as much money out of his grasping hands as possible  ;D  by converting from low efficiency electric motors to high efficiency motors, and from systems that use water and heat once to systems that use the same water and heat over and over again, cleaning it in the process.

My point exactly.  The changes made have to make good economic sense.  But market forces by themselves are too blunt an instrument.  For example, if you're going to use rising prices as the sole lever, then you're counting on industry to respond to those rising prices by becoming more efficient.  Ask the roughly 5000 workers laid off by the primary forest products industry across Northern Ontario, and the thousands more across the country, how THEIR employers have responded to increased costs resulting from a rising Loonie, high electricity costs, high fuel costs, rising insurance premiums, etc.  Instead of modernizing outdated pulp, paper, containerboard and other mills, they simply closed them down.  Industry will do what's best for itself; if that's becoming more efficient, fine.  But by no means is it always becoming more efficient.

What industry objected to was the governments of the west saying that western industry was going to have to suck up a massive recapitalization to replace motors and systems to continue doing what they are already doing while their competitors that already benefited from low wage regimes were building brand new facilities with capital transferred from the west.  Now whether this was conspiracy or confusion I don't know.

Conspiracy theories are almost always nonsense, because it's hard enough to get people united in common cause, much less have them keep their mouths shut about it.  Rather, it was really just politics...a perception that there was sufficient political capital to be gained in forcing through unrealistic goals regarding "climate change" to justify doing so.  At one point, one probably could have argued that the ONLY meaningful change in energy consumption and waste production that could occur had to be in the West, as we have been, by far, the major users of resources and energy.  However, thanks to explosive economic growth in Asia, that's increasingly (and unfortunately) less true.

Normal attrition requires that that stuff be replaced.  Good policy would be to support/require more efficient replacements.  Fortunately the politicians don't really have to worry about that because every greedy, thieving capitalist in industry is working hard to keep money out of the hands of greedy, thieving capitalists like Edward (and myself).  ;D

It is not the endstate that was the problem.  It was the timeline and the transfer of capital that was the problem.

Unfortunately, the end-state has been just as much a problem as the means to get there.  The scaremongering you quite rightly criticize has led people to question whether human activities are affecting climate at all...if current climatic trends might not be the result of ill-defined natural processes.  What gets lost is that they may be, but that that's completely irrelevant.  Of course, human activity is changing the planet's environment; how could it not?  How can you redistribute chemicals in a closed system and not have an effect on that system?

As I said, what's required is change, but sensible, rational change that makes good economic sense.  Such a thing is possible, if the will exists to implement it (which may mean, paradoxically, that it's not possible after all, because the will to undertake change is something that we, as a species, often sadly lack).

dglad said:
Fair enough.  How about the other 5.999etc. billion other people on the planet?

Presumably they will adapt or die as well. They already are by migrating, changing consumption patterns, looking for alternative energy sources, getting different jobs.

I agree.  Scaremongering is worse than useless, because it polarizes people into those who want to act rashly and those who want to disbelieve completely--both irrational positions.  What's required is some thoughtful, RATIONAL consideration of the matter, and an appropriate response.

Agreed.

My point exactly.  The changes made have to make good economic sense.  But market forces by themselves are too blunt an instrument.  For example, if you're going to use rising prices as the sole lever, then you're counting on industry to respond to those rising prices by becoming more efficient.  Ask the roughly 5000 workers laid off by the primary forest products industry across Northern Ontario, and the thousands more across the country, how THEIR employers have responded to increased costs resulting from a rising Loonie, high electricity costs, high fuel costs, rising insurance premiums, etc.  Instead of modernizing outdated pulp, paper, containerboard and other mills, they simply closed them down.  Industry will do what's best for itself; if that's becoming more efficient, fine.  But by no means is it always becoming more efficient.

I disagree here.  Market forces are the only lever.  Government regulation is just another force imposed on the market.  Regardless of the regulation imposed the market will react accordingly.  It's like trying to push beer or any other liquid of your choice.  The market is self-correcting.

As to the roughly 5000 workers - you are correct.  That is what happens when industry becomes more efficient.  Fewer people employed.  The result is that those that are unemployed have to adapt or die.  Put me into that category as well.  One of the reasons I am no longer in the Calg Highrs was that my job moved to Regina, then Toronto, then Calgary, then Indianapolis, then Vancouver/Seattle/Anchorage.

Conspiracy theories are almost always nonsense, because it's hard enough to get people united in common cause, much less have them keep their mouths shut about it.  Rather, it was really just politics...a perception that there was sufficient political capital to be gained in forcing through unrealistic goals regarding "climate change" to justify doing so.  At one point, one probably could have argued that the ONLY meaningful change in energy consumption and waste production that could occur had to be in the West, as we have been, by far, the major users of resources and energy.  However, thanks to explosive economic growth in Asia, that's increasingly (and unfortunately) less true.

Actually, with respect to conspiracies, I don't believe in millions of minions all singing from the same secret song-book.  I do however believe that individuals routinely gather together to push whatever levers they have at hand to achieve desirable and mutually beneficial outcomes.  Most places that I am familiar with call it planning.  But I do agree that secrets can't be kept though I am not sure that that is critical to the development of a conspiracy or plan.

As to the notion that only the WEST had to change - that was the implicit/explicit rationale behind Kyoto.  Everybody knew at that time, including the Brazilians, Indians and Chinese, that their tide had turned, that they needed energy and that the most meaningful impact on the growth of emissions would be to get those economies to do something other than smokestacks.  They declined to involve themselves.  The West (ie Europe and Canada) decided that was A-OK with them and the 3rd World peanut gallery cheered from the bleachers.  Russia signed on when they saw there were megabucks to be transferred to them.  The US and Australia declined to get involved because they could only see their money being sent to boost competition.  If Lou Dobbs is bitching about outsourcing now because of labour costs you should see him squawk when
factories close down because of high energy and abatement costs coupled with high interest rates because capital is tight.

Unfortunately, the end-state has been just as much a problem as the means to get there.  The scaremongering you quite rightly criticize has led people to question whether human activities are affecting climate at all...if current climatic trends might not be the result of ill-defined natural processes.  What gets lost is that they may be, but that that's completely irrelevant.  Of course, human activity is changing the planet's environment; how could it not?  How can you redistribute chemicals in a closed system and not have an effect on that system?

As I said, what's required is change, but sensible, rational change that makes good economic sense.  Such a thing is possible, if the will exists to implement it (which may mean, paradoxically, that it's not possible after all, because the will to undertake change is something that we, as a species, often sadly lack).

I agree with almost all of that, including the statement that human activity is changing the environment.  Both knowingly and unknowingly.  Digging a ditch changes the environment.  Building a house changes the environment. Planting crops and trees changes the environment.  Building cities, evacuating cities, breathing.  All of it changes the environment.  Build a dam, divert a river, move a population, turn us all into nomads, kill us all off (watch the CO2 content rise then).  Everything changes the environment.

I don't disagree with implementing change.  In fact I agree with implementing many changes.  Many changes will have to be implemented to counter changes we can't control.  And unfortunately there are many things that are beyond our control and there are many other things that we may be blissfully unaware of the effects, both positive and negative, we are having.

Remember the Biosphere project?  People trapped inside a terrarium with all the calculations carefully done?  All inputs carefully controlled? The environment sealed off? Ultimately the place had to be evacuated because even with the seals broken and new materials added then things died and the environment turned unhealthy.

We don't know enough yet to manage the global environmental economy.  We can't even effectively manage the global fiscal economy and there are fewer known knowns, known unknowns and unknown unknowns there.

Steven Den Beste was one of the all time great bloggers, but his legacy is sadly not well known or perhaps well organized. Then again, neither am I.

Here are some of his archived articles wich are worth reading just for their intrinsic value (i.e. they are thoughtful, and a great example of how to write a focused, factual and critical article on a given topic). WRT the issue of changing the world through technology, as you poke around you will find posts dealing with the limits of thermodynamics, the size and shape of the installed capital base and other reasons why "Mr Fusion" would not save us soon even if I was able to perfect it tomorrow morning. (Others about politics and the war are also worth reading).

http://www.electricminds.org/ussclueless/essays/index.htm
http://www.electricminds.org/ussclueless/bestof.htm
http://www.electricminds.org/ussclueless/archives.htm

Enjoy

I would be interested to hear comments on the stern report, especially from those that still argue climate change is a fallacy.

BBC.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/6096084.stm
Climate change fight 'can't wait' 

At-a-glance: Stern Review
Analysis: A stark warning
Analysis: Stern's impact
The global picture 
The world cannot afford to wait before tackling climate change, the UK prime minister has warned.
A report by economist Sir Nicholas Stern suggests that global warming could shrink the global economy by 20%.

But taking action now would cost just 1% of global gross domestic product, the 700-page study says.

Tony Blair said the Stern Review showed that scientific evidence of global warming was "overwhelming" and its consequences "disastrous".

The review coincides with the release of new data by the United Nations showing an upward trend in emission of greenhouse gases - a development for which Sir Nicholas said that rich countries must shoulder most of the responsibility.

The report says that without action, up to 200 million people could become refugees as their homes are hit by drought or flood.

"Whilst there is much more we need to understand - both in science and economics - we know enough now to be clear about the magnitude of the risks, the timescale for action and how to act effectively," Sir Nicholas said.

Mr Blair said the consequences for the planet of inaction were "literally disastrous".

"This disaster is not set to happen in some science fiction future many years ahead, but in our lifetime," he said.

"Investment now will pay us back many times in the future, not just environmentally but economically as well."

"For every £1 invested now we can save £5, or possibly more, by acting now.
Sir Nicholas, a former chief economist of the World Bank, told BBC Radio 4's Today programme: "Unless it's international, we will not make the reductions on the scale which will be required."
He went on: "What we have shown is the magnitude of these risks is very large and has to be taken into account in the kind of investments the world makes today and the consumption patterns it has."

The Stern Review forecasts that 1% of global gross domestic product (GDP) must be spent on tackling climate change immediately.

It warns that if no action is taken:

Floods from rising sea levels could displace up to 100 million people

Melting glaciers could cause water shortages for 1 in 6 of the world's population

Wildlife will be harmed; at worst up to 40% of species could become extinct

Droughts may create tens or even hundreds of millions of "climate refugees"
Clear objectives

The study is the first major contribution to the global warming debate by an economist, rather than an environmental scientist.

There is the greatest opportunity of all, the prize of securing and safeguarding the planet for our generations to come

Gordon Brown

Reactions to the Stern Review
Plans for climate change laws 

Mr Brown, who commissioned the report, has also recruited former US Vice-President Al Gore as an environment adviser.

"In the 20th century our national economic ambitions were the twin objectives of achieving stable economic growth and full employment," Mr Brown said.

"Now in the 21st century our new objectives are clear, they are threefold: growth, full employment and environmental care."

Informed discourse requires factual information......

http://kitchenerconservative.blogspot.com/2006/11/un-cooking-books-on-global-warming.html

U.N. Cooking The Books On Global Warming?

H/T to True North who linked to a recent article in the Telegraph http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2006/11/05/nwarm05.xml&page=1 by Christopher Monckton.

Here is some other interesting reading on Global Warming http://www.geocraft.com/WVFossils/greenhouse_data.html

The article raises some serious questions about the scientific methodology used by the UN to make it's calculation of Global Warming trends. It makes one wonder what the real motivation is? http://kitchenerconservative.blogspot.com/2006/11/global-warming-and-african-aid.html. The medieval warm period is especially interesting and is removal from UN calculations and graphs.

The second article is available today http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2006/11/12/nclim12.xml. I haven't finished reading it yet, but I'm sure it'll be just as interesting as the first.

Here are some interesting quotes from the first, it's well worth the read:

"This week, I'll show how the UN undervalued the sun's effects on historical and contemporary climate, slashed the natural greenhouse effect, overstated the past century's temperature increase, repealed a fundamental law of physics and tripled the man-made greenhouse effect.

First, the UN implies that carbon dioxide ended the last four ice ages...the changes in temperature preceded the changes in CO2 levels.

Even after the "hockey stick" graph was exposed, scientific papers apparently confirming its abolition of the medieval warm period appeared

The Antarctic, which holds 90 per cent of the world's ice and nearly all its 160,000 glaciers, has cooled and gained ice-mass in the past 30 years, reversing a 6,000-year melting trend. Data from 6,000 boreholes worldwide show global temperatures were higher in the Middle Ages than now.

Sami Solanki, a solar physicist, says that in the past half-century the sun has been warmer, for longer, than at any time in at least the past 11,400 years, contributing a base forcing equivalent to a quarter of the past century's warming.

the UN slashed the natural greenhouse effect by 40 per cent from 33C in the climate-physics textbooks to 20C, making the man-made additions appear bigger.

Deep-ocean temperature hasn't changed at all, it's barely above freezing
"

Some of the things like solar activity or the data from Antarctica are a bit obscure and not available to the layman, but the Medieval warm period is a stake through the heart of virtually every Global Warming argument (warming is bad, warming will create weather and other disasters, warming is caused by human activity), so it had to be suppressed and excised from discussion about climatology.

Alas, this is the inconvenient truth laid bare; climate change is a natural cycle, we have very little influence and attempts to panic people into handing over control of the economy are motivated by dreams of controlling the world's economy, and not for your or my benefit.

On the other hand:

From National Geographic News, here:

Sunspots alter the amount of energy Earth gets from the sun, but not enough to impact global climate change, a new study suggests.

The sun's role in global warming has long been a matter of debate and is likely to remain a contentious topic.

Solar astronomer Peter Foukal of Heliophysics, Inc., in Nahant, Massachusetts, points out that scientists have pondered the link between the sun and Earth's climate since the time of Galileo, the famous 17th-century astronomer.

"There has been an intuitive perception that the sun's variable degree of brightness—the coming and going of sunspots for instance—might have an impact on climate," Foukal said.

Foukal is lead author of a review paper on sunspot intensity appearing in tomorrow's issue of the journal Nature.

He says that most climate models—including ones used by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change—already incorporate the effects of the sun's waxing and waning power on Earth's weather (related images: our stormy star).

But, Foukal said, "this paper says that that particular mechanism [sunspots], which is most intuitive, is probably not having an impact."

And in Ice caps are melting even in winter, global warming evidence mounts:

The vast expanses of ice floating in the Arctic Sea are shrinking in winter as well as summer, most likely a result of global warming, NASA scientists said today.

"This is the strongest evidence yet of global warming in the Arctic,'' said Josefino Comiso, a research scientist at NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Md.

And then there's Gravity Measurements Confirm Greenland's Glaciers Precipitous Meltdown:

Of late, the enormous glaciers that flow down to the sea from the interior of Greenland have been picking up speed. In the last few years, enough ice has come off the northern landmass to sustain the average flow of the Colorado River for six years or fill Lake Mead three times over or cover the state of Maryland in 10 feet of water, assuming it were perfectly flat. And whether it is the glaciers' weight, speed or volume that is measured, a quickening of the their movement can be detected. In fact, the latest gravity-based measurements show that the glaciers lost roughly 101 gigatons of ice annually between 2003 and 2005, according to a paper published online in Science.

And as for Monckton's claims regarding the loss of ice and snow on Kilimanjaro, one of the scientists, Dr D.R. Hardy. whose paper these claims are based on has publicly said “using these preliminary findings to refute or even question global warming borders on the absurd.”

All of the above directly contradict key assertions in Monckton's articles in the Telegraph.  So the debate will rage on, with both sides firing polemics--and not necessarily very well researched ones at that--into the ether.  I think it's important to remain critical about all claims from all sides.  That's why, personally, the only point I can accept without question is the one I made above--we, humanity, are redistributing chemicals (notably carbon) in a closed chemical system.  We don't understand the full and long term consequences of this, so we must a) learn more and b) in the meantime, take REASONABLE (i.e. economically sensible) precautions to reduce the effect we have on this complex chemical system we inhabit.

All of the above directly contradict key assertions in Monckton's articles in the Telegraph.  So the debate will rage on, with both sides firing polemics--and not necessarily very well researched ones at that--into the ether.  I think it's important to remain critical about all claims from all sides.  That's why, personally, the only point I can accept without question is the one I made above--we, humanity, are redistributing chemicals (notably carbon) in a closed chemical system.  We don't understand the full and long term consequences of this, so we must a) learn more and b) in the meantime, take REASONABLE (i.e. economically sensible) precautions to reduce the effect we have on this complex chemical system we inhabit.

Agree entirely with every statement.

Now if we can just agree on what constitutes a REASONABLE precaution and what is a REASONABLE amount of damage to whose lifestyle.

Cheers.

a_majoor said:
Just another warning sign that people really should stay in their lanes. An economist shouldn't step into climactic science, especially if they are tripped up by high school physics.............

A perfect example is this thread.  Soldiers should not pretend to be economists, or environmental experts.

I appologise for the above re-posting.  Before I posted the article i searched for "Stern Report" and found no threads.  I stumbled upon this one.

UberCree said:
I would be interested to hear comments on the stern report, especially from those that still argue climate change is a fallacy.

UberCree said:
A perfect example is this thread.  Soldiers should not pretend to be economists, or environmental experts.

Just exactly who did you think you were asking for comments from then?

UberCree said:
The study is the first major contribution to the global warming debate by an economist, rather than an environmental scientist.

No economic model has any real predictive value. They are best guesses based on the data that could be obtained and the modeling of a limited number of interactions for a limited time period at a limited resolution. The climate models aren't any better but on a small scale can have a decent chance of predicting rain or shine sometimes. They both also have enough knobs to futz with to produce just about anything a person wants.

One book I found useful for helping to understand the problems with some of these models and misuse of statistics in general is : Flaws and Fallacies in Statistical Thinking by Stephan K. Campbell.

UberCree said:

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by this...in my day job, I manage economic development programs and services for the Ontario government.  Prior to that, I have worked in both staff and management positions in the Ontario Geological Survey, worked for Atomic Energy of Canada Ltd. in their High Level Nuclear Waste Fuel Management program, worked for ten years in the mineral exploration industry and have a B.Sc. in Geology, with a minor in Energy and Fuel Science, and an M.Sc. in Geochemistry.  And yes, I am a soldier, and have been since 1977.  None of this is bragging; it's all just statement of fact and intended to suggest that there are much more to many of the folks on Army.ca than it may first appear.

To put it another way, I think you'll find that many of the lanes for people on here are fairly wide.  Some (and I do NOT include myself in this group) may even be global experts in their various non-military fields (I say non-military because it goes without saying that we have some global experts in THAT field on here).

dglad said:
I'm not entirely sure what you mean by this...in my day job, I manage economic development programs and services for the Ontario government.  Prior to that, I have worked in both staff and management positions in the Ontario Geological Survey, worked for Atomic Energy of Canada Ltd. in their High Level Nuclear Waste Fuel Management program, worked for ten years in the mineral exploration industry and have a B.Sc. in Geology, with a minor in Energy and Fuel Science, and an M.Sc. in Geochemistry.  And yes, I am a soldier, and have been since 1977.  None of this is bragging; it's all just statement of fact and intended to suggest that there are much more to many of the folks on Army.ca than it may first appear.

To put it another way, I think you'll find that many of the lanes for people on here are fairly wide.  Some (and I do NOT include myself in this group) may even be global experts in their various non-military fields (I say non-military because it goes without saying that we have some global experts in THAT field on here).

Well, gee if that's all you got to offer......  ;D

GAP said:
Well, gee if that's all you got to offer......  ;D

Well, I'm also extremely good looking and incredibly charming, but like I said, I didn't want to brag....

Bruce Monkhouse said:
Just exactly who did you think you were asking for comments from then?

So when is it appropriate to 'step out of your lane'?  I am sure it has to do with where you stand on the issue no doubt.   

The initial comment from a-majoor was a weak attempt to discredit a groundbreaking report.  You, like me, will comment how we see fit.  So will an economist that is hired to look at an ever worsening situation from an economic perspective. 
I see fit to comment that I see a group of people with their heads in the sand, denying the reality surrounding them. 

Uber Cree, I agree with you on the stepping out of your lane thing.  If people have hard data to counter an opinion then we all learn.

With respect to the head in the sand - I am afraid I have to disagree with you there.  This subject is very much a matter of debate, not yet dogma.

Market forces aren't a blunt instrument; political policies are a blunt instrument.  Market forces aren't really an instrument which can be wielded to purpose at all, which is why few people conceive of using them as one.  The government's response to its perception of its fiscal position with respect to income trusts was a blunt instrument.  Setting emissions targets willy-nilly and legislating hell-or-high-water sanctions to force compliance is a blunt instrument.  Anyone who has spent time dealing with adminstration in the military knows just how often damn-the-consequences blunt instruments come down as direction from higher as solutions to the problems of the day.  I doubt there has ever been an organization more likely to eat its young than a government department wielding policies as blunt instruments to solve poorly and insufficiently understood complex problems.

>It warns that if no action is taken:

One should separate fear-mongering speculation from established fact.  If you're looking for fallacies, they're right under your nose in the Stern Report.

>"This is the strongest evidence yet of global warming in the Arctic,'' said Josefino Comiso, a research scientist at NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Md.

If it's warming in the Arctic, then it's "Arctic warming", not "global warming".  Here's a simple statement of fact: at any point in time, the global climate is either following a warming or cooling trend.

Canada is a large and diverse Federation with the following factors:
- A province (Quebec) that has the ability to approach the Kyoto targets
- A province (Quebec) that receives a large portion of transfer payments
- A province (Alberta) that cannot even come close to Kyoto targets
- A province (Alberta) that funds a large portion of transfer payments

Noting that Ontario could be used instead of Alberta in those statements, I'm surprised that we don't take a more internal approach to Kyoto and its credit system. - Or did our negotiators completely lack imagination as well as good judgment.

dglad said:
While I am by no means firmly on the side of the "global protectionists"--mainly because their science really is so bad, and they rely so heavily on simple fear-mongering and solutions that would probably do more harm than good--I'm much more wary than those who would point to past climatic fluctuations and say, "see, it can happen for all sorts of reasons, so there's no reason to believe we're causing a problem today".  The Earth is a large and complex, but CLOSED chemical system. 

The current government's approach (if it is serious) would seem to be in the right direction (no-pun) - we cannot expect to release toxins into the air and expect it to just work itself out.

And, regarding the report:  we should be able to get some handle on CO2 while studies continue - but these CO2 based GDP predictions seem entirely invented.

Brad Sallows said:
Market forces aren't a blunt instrument; political policies are a blunt instrument.  Market forces aren't really an instrument which can be wielded to purpose at all, which is why few people conceive of using them as one.  The government's response to its perception of its fiscal position with respect to income trusts was a blunt instrument.  Setting emissions targets willy-nilly and legislating hell-or-high-water sanctions to force compliance is a blunt instrument.  Anyone who has spent time dealing with adminstration in the military knows just how often damn-the-consequences blunt instruments come down as direction from higher as solutions to the problems of the day.  I doubt there has ever been an organization more likely to eat its young than a government department wielding policies as blunt instruments to solve poorly and insufficiently understood complex problems.

I certainly agree with you about government policy as it's often used, although well-crafted policies, regulations and legislation CAN be quite effective and efficient.

But I disagree with you fundamentally about market forces.  They very much are an "instrument" and much effort is put into manipulating them to some purpose, every day, in the stock, commodity, bond and other markets around the world, in corporate boardrooms and in government offices.  Take OPEC, for example...when that organization decreases production with the express purpose of increasing prices, that's using a market force (supply) as an "instrument".

When I say they're "blunt", that's because market forces are generally only meaningful on a macro scale, lacking any sort of precision targeting.  So when OPEC forces a price increase, they really have no control over the extent of that increase nor, in a global petroleum market, can they readily cause the price of oil to rise more in one region than another (without resorting to things like embargos).  Moreover, the principle of monetarism (allowing producers to respond to consumer demand without intervention from ‘distortions’ such as governments and trade unions, while profits and competition between firms and individuals provide sufficient incentives to produce efficiently) is generally insensitive to matters such as public good, and social costs and benefits.  That's why governments and their policies do (like it or not) have a role to play in all this.

>"This is the strongest evidence yet of global warming in the Arctic,'' said Josefino Comiso, a research scientist at NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Md.

If it's warming in the Arctic, then it's "Arctic warming", not "global warming".  Here's a simple statement of fact: at any point in time, the global climate is either following a warming or cooling trend.

Not sure I understand your point here.  I suppose one could argue that an unusual degree of warming in the Arctic is independent of any global trend, which is what your first statement seems to suggest.  But your second statement immediately contradicts that, suggesting instead that the global climate is, as a whole, doing either one thing or the other.  Given that line of reasoning, warming in the Arctic must be indicative of warming overall.  Or, your second statement is incorrect or incomplete, and sub-components of the global climate can be doing different things (warming or cooling) at the same time.

All that aside, if the Arctic is experiencing an unusual degree of warming, then it would be worthwhile determining why that's the case.  One possible explanation is that the global climate is generally warming.  If that's true, then again, it behooves us to understand why, what role human activity may be playing in such warming, and what measures can be taken to mitigate.  This isn't scaremongering...it's a logical investigation of observable phenomenon, intended to draw a set of supportable conclusions.  I agree that scaremongering isn't useful, but the response to it shouldn't be an equally irrational denial.

Back