• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Girl, 5, Fears For Injured Canadian Soldier- A Very Nice Article

Bruce Monkhouse

Pinball Dude
Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Reaction score
http://www.thestar.com/News/Canada/article/612298

Girl, 5, fears for injured Canadian soldier

Emily Mathieu
Staff Reporter

Sgt. Thomas White gave a big boost to Dakota Lee Allen when she was feeling sick. Now she wants to return the favour.

"I love him ... I want to give him a big hug and a kiss," said 5-year-old Dakota yesterday after the Star told her family that White had been wounded last month in Afghanistan and is recovering at a military hospital in Germany.

When the little girl met the Canadian soldier almost three months ago, they had both been through some pretty tough times.
She had travelled from Prescott, Ont., to Toronto for a heart repair on Jan. 12 at the Hospital for Sick Children. White was in Toronto to repatriate a fallen soldier.

"He thought she was a very special little girl and very brave," said his mother, Isabel, from her home in North Bay.

Before Dakota went into surgery to have a hole repaired in her heart, she told her family she wanted to stand outside the Toronto coroner's office to honour Trooper Brian Good, the 107th Canadian soldier killed in Afghanistan. At the time she told a Star reporter, "It's important to be here. It will make me feel brave to go into surgery."

The little girl asked White to sign her flag. He shook her hand, gave her a hug and wished her good luck. After the operation she drew him a picture of her heart. White took the drawing back to Afghanistan.
About two weeks ago, the vehicle he was riding in hit a roadside bomb. The father of two has several broken ribs, a cracked pelvis, stitches and staples in his mouth and had to have his spleen removed.

"It was good to hear his voice," said his mother, who has spoken by telephone with her son at the hospital in Germany. He is putting on a brave face, but he lost friends in the explosion and is in rough shape, she said.
White was injured March 20, a day when four Canadian soldiers were killed in two separate bombings. Seven others were wounded in the attacks.

White's mother said meeting Dakota at the repatriation ceremony was a bright spot for her son.
"It is an honourable thing to do, to bring home his buddy, but it's a hard thing to do," said his mother. "She was one brave little soldier."

Dakota's father Mark said she has been all about the military since she met a soldier in a Tim Hortons two years ago. She gave him a hug and a kiss for fighting for Canada and got one of his badges in return.
Months after her heart repair, Dakota is active and keeping up with kids her age.

"She is feeling great. You would never know she is the same child," said her father.

Good on everyone involved in this story.

It is such a pleasure to read a "good news " story in the media. :)

Before Dakota went into surgery to have a hole repaired in her heart, she told her family she wanted to stand outside the Toronto coroner's office to honour Trooper Brian Good, the 107th Canadian soldier killed in Afghanistan. At the time she told a Star reporter, "It's important to be here. It will make me feel brave to go into surgery."

Wow.

Children don't learn that kind of love and respect from cartoons. I give credit to the parent(s). God bless them all!!

Great story about some great Canadians

Thanks much for brightening up my day Bruce.

CHIMO!

Well worth the read. It's heartening to hear something so positive amoung all the other news.

Once again, through our children we can make a positive change.

A lovely read. Nice to see a happy story in tough times  :cdn:

Back