• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Gift ideas for XCR

Strike

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
So, hubby picked up a used XCR-L not long ago and I am looking for ideas on accessories for him for Christmas.

Figured I'd hit up the troop here before going shopping so I can just go in, get what I want, and leave.

It's his first firearm so I'll be putting together a cleaning/maintenance kit and getting a case, but I need ideas wrt sights specifically (he just has iron sights) and any other accessories that might be good.

The Millet DMS-1 is an affordable 1-4X option, decent reticle, good glass.

What kind of shooting does he do, at what kinds of distances?

Firearms accessories are a tough call- many people develop their own very particular preferences for how they shoot, and anything that would be attached to the rifle definitely should not a surprise gift; at least that's my view on it.

Things like good cleaning kits, cases, etc- much more leeway there.

Brihard said:
What kind of shooting does he do, at what kinds of distances?

Firearms accessories are a tough call- many people develop their own very particular preferences for how they shoot, and anything that would be attached to the rifle definitely should not a surprise gift; at least that's my view on it.

Things like good cleaning kits, cases, etc- much more leeway there.

He's just starting out so, pretty much whatever I pick up he's going to like since he's got absolutely no experience.  Any shooting is just target shooting at the local ranges so nothing of any great distance or difficulty, at least for the first year.

April%20119%20(Medium).jpg

This is the one I owned with a set of armalite rings that didn't work very well.

April%20121%20(Medium).jpg

Reticle:

April%20132%20(Medium).jpg

Instead of guessing and buying accessories, why not go with a gift he'll really like?

Ammo.

https://www.canadaammo.com/product/detail/379

Or, can't go wrong with a hoppes bore snake.

Alternately, 10rd magazines for it might be lovely if he doesn't have any, there's a load of places selling them. They exist in sort of weird, but perfectly legal (confirmed by the RCMP) loop hole.

In that case, just a note, shipping on that ammo is free.

See if there is a reputable carbine course offered nearby.  A new shooter would benefit from some solid instruction.

Steve

SteveB said:
See if there is a reputable carbine course offered nearby.  A new shooter would benefit from some solid instruction.

Steve

Seconded, he'll enjoy the chance to shoot and learn some techniques from pros.

Kind of a basic thought, but he needs something to shoot at - an 'umpteen' pack of some sort of targets like those "shoot'n'see' (the ones that make fluorescent holes when you hit them) targets -or -if you want to spend some money- a decent spotting scope.
Or a range box to carry all his stuff in...

What gen of the XCR is it?  Does it have the skeleton style buttstock?  If so, an upgrade to an AR style butt (with an adapter kit) is a popular upgrade for the XCR.  What type of mags does he have?  PMAGS or Tapcos seem to run well and 10 rnd LARS are good to have around.  Sling?  Get him a Vickers VCAS.

Back