• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Ghost Story about siting machine guns

DG-41

Inactive
Reaction score
I'm trying to track down an article I read online many moons ago.

It's a ghost story where a platoon (maybe company?) commander, facing an incipient Soviet attack and who has to site his machine guns, is visited by the ghost of a soldier from the WW1 MG Corps who provides advice.

Anybody know where it is? My Google-Fu is coming up short.

The Rise, Fall, & Rebirth of The 'Emma Gees' (Part 2)
http://regimentalrogue.com/emmagees/emmagees2.htm

That's a fantastic pair of articles.  I have re-read them several times throughout my career.  Even though I'm now retired, I'm tempted to do so again because they are informative and entertaining.

They should be mandatory reading for all Infantry NCMs before promotion to the rank of MCpl.

Infanteer said:
They should be mandatory reading for all Infantry NCMs before promotion to the rank of MCpl.

And part and parcel of BMOQ-L

RomeoJuliet said:
Agree. BMOQ-A students should read this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But what about our doctrine? How dare you suggest that we build trenches like that :)

daftandbarmy said:
But what about our doctrine? How dare you suggest that we build trenches like that :)

Canadian soldiers are the last people on earth that would follow their own doctrine.

Infanteer said:

Completely agree.

We have progressively lost emphasis (not to mention skill and experience) on machine guns in the infantry. Modern support weapons courses are glorified weapons handling tests.

I find we build basic recce + basic para to be the be-all-end-all of light infantry bn's. Someone who doesn't want their jump course or recce course are pariah's.

Jarnhamar said:
Completely agree.

We have progressively lost emphasis (not to mention skill and experience) on machine guns in the infantry. Modern support weapons courses are glorified weapons handling tests.

I find we build basic recce + basic para to be the be-all-end-all of light infantry bn's. Someone who doesn't want their jump course or recce course are pariah's.
Aye. Couldn’t get on a jump course when I was a young feller as it was so popular. My unit kept sending kiss arses who would be rtu within days but fit smart asses like myself, no dice. Lessons learned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jarnhamar said:
Completely agree.

The British Army has always had a MMG Pl as part of Sp Coy in Inf Bns, which has helped alot to maintain the fine art of machine gunning. 9 x GPMG SF can make a big difference along a BGp frontage, in addition to the 4 x GPMG per Pl that can layer on to a BGp fire plan.

When is the re-write coming to replace the HMG with the C16 CASW?

Back