• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

GG Too Booked for Queen's 80th Birthday

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Bread Guy

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
Shared in accordance with the "fair dealing" provisions, Section 29, of the Copyright Act - http://www.cb-cda.gc.ca/info/act-e.html#rid-33409

http://www.canada.com/nationalpost/news/editorialsletters/story.html?id=bed50426-d409-47d8-8e48-c18d505dbf73

Michaelle Jean, MIA
National Post, June 15, 2006

''For the first time, Canada will not be represented by a senior official at a major royal occasion. Today, Queen Elizabeth II's 80th birthday will be formally celebrated at a Service of Thanksgiving at St. Paul's Cathedral in London, and afterwards at a glittering luncheon at which the Queen will give a speech. Among the dignitaries present will be governors-general from the Queen's overseas realms, including Michael Jeffery, the Governor-General of Australia, and Arthur Hanna, the Governor-General of Bahamas -- but not Michaelle Jean, the Governor-General of Canada. In fact, since the post of high commissioner in London is currently vacant, the sole representative of the Government of Canada at this important occasion marking the monarch's lifetime of service will be a diplomat named Guy Saint-Jacques, who is a temporary replacement at Canada House.

By tradition, Canada has been represented by the governor-general at such occasions, although sometimes by the prime minister, and even at times by both of them. In this case, the invitation went to Rideau Hall in May and at the time it was decided that the Governor-General would not attend because of scheduling conflicts. A spokesman for Ms. Jean explained that she was in Toronto yesterday to visit a school and a charity for immigrants, and to officially open the city's new opera house. Today, she has some "private events" scheduled.

In the midst of the initial controversy over Ms. Jean's appointment, we urged that critics give her a chance. We also suggested that she could make a real impact if she went against type, and actually embraced the institution that she represents: the Crown in Canada. Instead, the opposite seems to be the case. While she has travelled to Haiti and Chile for presidential inaugurations, she could not find the time in her busy schedule to attend a Service of Thanksgiving that honours our own Sovereign.

The Queen, and frankly the people of Canada, deserve better.''

the school event was apparently a play based on her life, if the Sun today was correct. she wept, reportedly, atthe depiction of her younger days...more important than HM?

puke.gif

:mad:

Thats BS.  I must say she has not even be living up to the low opinion a number of us have of her...

The GGofC has one boss, and she just effectively told her to go piss up a rope. How long would you expect to keep your job?  Can the Queen replace a GG?  That's an attrocious thing to do, in my opinion.

I always think back to the comment Harper made when he came from Rideau upon being made PM...."it was in interesting meeting", but the feeling I got was that by "interesting" he meant something along the lines of "this chick is spun".  It wasn't a heavily ironic comment, but it seemed to be there...

Of course, I may just be interposing my own viewpoint onto his comments, because I do believe that "this chick is spun".

The GGofC has one boss, and she just effectively told her to go piss up a rope. How long would you expect to keep your job?  Can the Queen replace a GG?

You haven't been watching your heritage moments...

"They call it representative government...a Canadian idea...."

Once, the Queen could simply replace the GG at whim, as the Queen's representative in Canada, she was subject to Royal whims.  Now, her position is largely ceremonial, vis-a-vis representing the Queen.  She is appointed by the Canadian government.  As far as I know, since she has the authority to suspend parliament, she no longer serves at anyone else's whim...

Oh give the lady a break.  Being Haiti's Empress-in-absentia must be a very time-consuming occupation.  With all that on her plate small wonder she has precious little time to attend to Canadian affairs of state.  Say when do the GGFG & CGG  Ceremonial Guards get relieved on the Hill by the Royal Port Au Prince Dismounted Brigands?

She has basically kept below the radar, unlike the previous GG queen.  Almost everything I have seen as been "feel good" stuff.

Her profile "should" NOT be up there in your face, so if it's a couple more years of this fluff...It's not the end of the world  ::)

Are we already longing for the good old days when the GG would take long junkets to ice-bound countries and get everyone up in arms?

Given a choice between a GG very visibly representing us abroad, and a GG "staying under the radar", I'll take the former any day - even setting aside all the really great stuff Ms. Clarkson did for the Forces.

To be fair, everyone has their own strengths and interests. Perhaps we have yet to see the new GG's come to the fore. But I suppose we're still waiting for Prince Charles' too 50 years later...

Perhaps its time for the Canadian people to choose who represents the Crown in Canada. Its a largely ceremonial position anyway. I am sick of seeing these types of positions being awarded as either political payoff to some elitist Ottawa toffee nose, or as yet another offering to the altar of political correctness.

Bob Terwilliger said:
Perhaps its time for the Canadian people to choose who represents the Crown in Canada.

+1 Bob

Its a largely ceremonial position anyway.

However it wouldn't be as soon as the position was legitimately filled.

There are an awful lot of powers that go with the job, eseentially all the powers of the monarch.  The only thing that holds the GG, and the Queen, back is the fact that they aren't "democratically" appointed to their positions.  If the GG were elected the job would effectively become more powerful than the monarch has been since at least Victoria's day, perhaps even since the days of the Dutchman William III.

For the full discussion can I suggest this thread?

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/26126/post-202132.html#msg202132

Cheers,  :)

When Michelle Jean was appointed, I was nothing short of apoplectic with rage, to the amusement of a very good (but very left-wing friend of mine).  My contention at the time was this:

JOB OPPORTUNITY:  GOVERNOR GENERAL OF CANADA....White Anglo-Saxon Protestant Male ex-soldiers need not apply.

Neither the current nor previous GG's have been a credit to their office or this country.  I think back on the man who was GG when I was a wee-tad, and I recall having nothing but admiration for MGen Georges Vanier. The man was a class act, that represented Canada on the world stage with quiet dignity....heavy on the word "dignity".  Now we seem saddled with politically correct appointments that--in the end--serve only to em barass Canada.

How the hell do you impeach a Governor General

You don't....you wait them out

I thought someone would have been better suited...but hey that's IMO

HL

"yet another offering to the altar of political correctness."

"Now we seem saddled with politically correct appointments that--in the end--serve only to em barass Canada."

"
The GGofC has one boss, and she just effectively told her to go piss up a rope"

+1

All I can say is that she sucks the bag! This move is nonsensical on her part . For shame......

I did manage to see the elementary school play based on her life for a few moments on the news.  Isn't it nice to see her attend a child's production of her life story, because that's important stuff. Instead of properly representing our nation abroad she chooses to attend wonderful ceremonies celebrating her childhood so she can feel even more important. When I see her on the tele, she comes across as a kid in a candy store....at least Adrienne Clarkson carried herself with a little more dignity, class etc. This is the head of our armed forces? :-[

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back