• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

GG Too Booked for Queen's 80th Birthday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I am glad I read the article.  I thought she was talking on her shoe-phone in the picture when I first saw it.

navymich said:
Mud, check out this link: http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20060614/jean_play_060614/20060614?hub=TopStories
Governor General Michaelle Jean wipes away tears during a performance of 'An Ode to Madame G.G.' by students of Lawrence Heights Middle School in Toronto on Wednesday June 14, 2006. (CP / Frank Gunn)

The same picture was in the Sun as well.

To Recce Guy,

I am positive that the Gov Gen does require the consent of the PM to leave Canada, (See Letters Patent, 1947)http://www.solon.org/Constitutions/Canada/English/LettersPatent.html which notes:

XIV. And whereas great prejudice may happen to Our service and to the security of Canada by the absence of Our Governor General, he shall not quit Canada without having first obtained leave from Us for so doing through the Prime Minister of Canada.

Although I do think this article could override the other one, as she could command the PM,

IX. And We do hereby require and command all Our Officers and Ministers, Civil and Military, and all the other inhabitants of Canada, to be obedient, aiding, and assisting unto Our Governor General, or, in the event of his death, incapacity, or absence, to such person as may, from time to time, under the provisions of these Our Letters Patent administer the Government of Canada.

I don't see who else could prevent the GG from going as she has indicated that she wants to.  What has changed since Adrienne visited: The Prime Minister, and one who perhaps doesn't want too many people overshadowing his own gutsy (no pun intended) visit to Afghanistan. 

Cheers

OK, that kinda covers the one point, kinda
Hebridean said:
I don't see who else could prevent the GG from going as she has indicated that she wants to.  What has changed since Adrienne visited: The Prime Minister, and one who perhaps doesn't want too many people overshadowing his own gutsy (no pun intended) visit to Afghanistan. 

What's changed? Location, for one, a more dangerous one.
As to the shot at the PM?
Sorry, not taking that bait. The current PM has consistently shown he's much better than stooping to the cheap playground antics the liebrals are used to playing.

Now, answer the first question about the two weeks notice.

navymich said:
Mud, check out this link: http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20060614/jean_play_060614/20060614?hub=TopStories
160X_cp_jean_060614.jpg

Governor General Michaelle Jean wipes away tears during a performance of 'An Ode to Madame G.G.' by students of Lawrence Heights Middle School in Toronto on Wednesday June 14, 2006. (CP / Frank Gunn)

Mich, thanks for the link...now I have to find a more graphic barfie smilie...wait a sec...I've just had a change of heart...oh, how I wish I was there...what a touching, soft moment that must have been...the Queen can wait...this must have been sheer artistic love oozing forth :'( *sniff, sniff* 

If its safe enough for Stephen, Peter, Alexa, and Brian (all visited K-City) it is safe enough for the GG.  Sorry I can't answer your question on the two weeks notice. (maybe I was wrong on that).

Based on her actions of late ("I am most important, I can't miss the play on myself")...would you want her to come see you over there?

Me, I wouldn't.  If I didn't have a choice, of course I would be there.  If I did have a choice, I would be cleaning the urinals instead.

George Wallace said:
I'm not really an expert on it anyway, Michael, so I'll drop it. 
I do wonder about this claim of "2 Weeks Notice."  That I find rather unusual.  I am sure that a function like this would have involved quite a lot of State Planning, and would not have been a sudden spur of the moment decision by the Queen. 
2 Weeks is BS.

This isnt a sudden funeral, this is an event celebrated every year on the same day.  We've had 80 years notice of the Queen's birthday! 

Hebridean said:
If its safe enough for Stephen, Peter, Alexa, and Brian (all visited K-City) it is safe enough for the GG.   Sorry I can't answer your question on the two weeks notice. (maybe I was wrong on that).

I didn't know you knew them all personally.  I myself call him PM Harper.  :D

Oops. yes indeed PM Harper-apologies- I think Mr. Prime Minister works too.  The Governor General would be Her Excellency. :)

gotta earn it where I come from   ;D

I do have to ask, why is your profile empty? 

Mud Recce Man said:
I didn't know you knew them all personally.  I myself call him PM Harper.   :D

Perhaps...

the Harpster?
the Harpminator?
the Harp-aroonee?

(gag from SNL)

Hebridean said:
Oops. yes indeed PM Harper-apologies- I think Mr. Prime Minister works too.  The Governor General would be Her Excellency. :)

Never "Mr. Prime Minister" -- just "Prime Minister", and the same for Premiers and Ministers.

Why does anyone want this PC/patronage position filler to visit the troops in A-Stan?

Have you all forgotten what it is like to practice honor guards ad nauseum?

The current GG is (was) a French citizen, handed her current position on the basis of her difficult childhood and ethno-linguistic status. She has little or nothing in common with the troops overseas, and I'm sure that they would rather be spared the two or three hours of standing in the hot sun listening to a bilingual speech about the wonders of internationalism and peacekeeping.

Have her write a nice letter and post it on the "notices" board.

I'm thinking that if the GG had just called the school and said.....

"Oh hey....I'm so sorry...Someone messed up my scheduling and it just happens to be HRM's 80th Birthday, can we maybe do this next week?"......

that the widdle kiddies would have said "No problem".

Afterall, they were scheduled to be in school at least for another 2 weeks before summer vacation right??

Something tells me Ms. Jean knew EXACTLY what she was doing.

CanadaPhil said:
I'm thinking that if the GG had just called the school and said.....

"Oh hey....I'm so sorry...Someone messed up my scheduling and it just happens to be HRM's 80th Birthday, can we maybe do this next week?"......

that the widdle kiddies would have said "No problem".

Afterall, they were scheduled to be in school at least for another 2 weeks before summer vacation right??

Something tells me Ms. Jean knew EXACTLY what she was doing.

Does anyone think she "didn't know about it"?  ::)

Lame.  Anything she says...Lame.  L  A  M  E.

Stay home.  The "troops" only go if they are ordered.  Go to your plays. 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back