• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Getting started

Stargazer

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi, I'm currently a university student and I would really like to be a helicopter pilot. I'm in my application process, to be a human resource clerk to get the feel of it and to see if the military is for me.. First off, I have no experience whatsoever. I know they take the best of the best. My question is, where do I start? What should I do..? I'm still young so its not too late..
and by the way, I'm a woman...are my chances of getting in slimmer?

Thanks

In addition to what my good friend said in his customarily direct manner, there is a whole bouquet of threads regarding almost every aspect of flying and pilot training and the recruiting system on the site.

These can be turned up using the Search Function.

Start reading, and ask any questions for which you cannot find answers therein. You'll probably find answers to questions that you hadn't even thought of yet.

What is your approximate geographical location?

welll i did visit a recruiting center, they gave me info but the way they were saying its like if they were implying its impossible for me to get in : not that many spots, very hard to get in, need amazing grades, amazing background, i would need experience if i want to get in .. what i would like to hear, from people that are currently piloting for the cf or already did, is what you would recommend me doing to get experience or to put chances on my side and make myself a competitve candidate.. .. and yes im well aware we're in 2009 thank you.

Stargazer, 438 Sqn in a reserve squadron.  I would suggest you go to the recruiting center at:

1420 Saint-Catherine Street W.
Montreal, QC
H3G 1R3
phone: 514-390-4999

There is nothing impossible.  If you don't try, you'll never know.  But you have to go to the right place to start with ;)

Good Luck

To further explain what Max said, unless you have prior regular force pilot experience or a commercial helicopter licence with at least 500 hrs, turbine time, and an instrument rating (do a search on this site for HELICOP), you are not going to be accepted as a reserve pilot. We have not trained any reserve pilots off of the street since the programme for that was stupidly cancelled in the mid-nineties.

Go to the recruiting centre as suggested.

If you manage to get accepted, work hard. Very hard.

Read through previous threads here. Again, the Search Function is your friend.

Stargazer said:
welll i did visit a recruiting center, they gave me info but the way they were saying its like if they were implying its impossible for me to get in : not that many spots, very hard to get in, need amazing grades, amazing background, i would need experience if i want to get in .. what i would like to hear, from people that are currently piloting for the cf or already did, is what you would recommend me doing to get experience or to put chances on my side and make myself a competitve candidate.. .. and yes im well aware we're in 2009 thank you.

They told me the same thing a few years back. They said apply and hope for the best but you wont be picked up.

So I upgraded my marks, started volunteering in more relevant places (warplane museum) and started my ppl. Applied this you and now merit listed for Pilot ROTP.

Do not let people say it is impossible. It is hard and there are many circumstances along the way which are out of your control. For example, medicals, vision etc.

Best of luck to you !

I know that its a reserve unit. im a student , i didnt apply as pilot .. but as a human ressource clerk just to see if the military is for me haha!! im planning on applying in the regular later on, when ill have more experience..im completing my bachelors degree and i was wondering if it would be worth it to take piloting courses...or to do school or military college ?? what should be best?

Stargazer said:
I know that its a reserve unit. im a student , i didnt apply as pilot .. but as a human ressource clerk just to see if the military is for me haha!!

Well, you could have said that. The implication, since you started off the thread by stating that you wished to be a helicopter pilot, was that you had approached them for that purpose.

Clear communication is a requirement in the CF. Lives can depend upon it. You will be judged on your abilities there, and, because this site is heavily populated by those of us that live or have lived in that environment, you will be judged on the same things here, too. So start, please, by capitalizing where appropriate and using proper punctuation.

Stargazer said:
but as a human ressource clerk just to see if the military is for me haha!!

Anybody's chances of getting into an Air Reserve unit are negligible without prior experience. There is generally a lengthy waiting list for all positions, so it's quite competitive. The standards are the same as for the regular force, and more commitment is expected than for Army Reserve units. For 400 Squadron in Borden, the minimum monthly atttendance is six days per month for most positions, and even that is barely useful to the unit.

Try an Army Reserve unit. There are a few around, your chances of getting in are greater, and the commitment expected would fit bettter with your schedule.

Stargazer said:
i was wondering if it would be worth it to take piloting courses...

If you want to take civil flying lessons because you want to fly, then by all means do so. They are expensive, however, and may or may not help you should you be selected for CF pilot training. If that is your only reason for considering them, then save your money.

Stargazer said:
or to do school or military college ??

Once you have your degree, you satisfy the CF educational requirement for commissioned service. RMC would not be necessary.

Stargazer said:
what should be best?

That's a personal decision that you will have to make.

Have you read through the other threads that would explain much of this to you? Aside from communicating clearly, we expect you to do your homework, too.

I would just like to start off by apologizing for the punctuation and grammar in my previous messages, however a little respect would be appreciated 'kingkikapu' as I am communicating in my second language and it isn't always easy. I currently work in a call center where communication and speaking properly is key, so I have no doubt I am a good communicator. I did mention in my first post that I applied as a human resource clerk.

So what I am understanding from your last reply Loachman, is that I should apply at an army reserve unit if I want to be guaranteed a spot? When I gave in my application at the recruiting center, the recruiter just mentioned there was a high demand in clerks and didn't mention that my chances of being selected for the air reserve unit would be slim. So far, my application process is going pretty well ; I received a call 5 days after giving in my application for my aptitude test and I already have a date scheduled for my medical examination. As for the commitment level, I do plan on working at least 3 days per week at the unit.

The reason why I asked if it would be best if I took flying lessons or another degree, is because the recruiter said that it is very hard to get in as a pilot. He said that they would select someone that has been an air cadet and had flying experience over someone that had none, thus the reason why I asked if it would be a good idea if I took civil flying lessons. As for the RMC, I thought that if I had a second degree it would make me a competitive candidate as I wouldn't just have the minimal requirements.

I started this thread because I have trouble finding answers to my questions as I am someone that is starting from 'scratch'. Mostly all the threads are questions by people that already have CF experience or piloting experience...

Stargazer said:
I did mention in my first post that I applied as a human resource clerk.

There is no such trade in the CF.

didn't mention that my chances of being selected for the air reserve unit would be slim.

They are.

The reason why I asked if it would be best if I took flying lessons or another degree, is because the recruiter said that it is very hard to get in as a pilot.

For pilot in the resrve, it is not only very hard but next to impossible without prior military experience of vast specific civillian experience.

, I thought that if I had a second degree it would make me a competitive candidate as I wouldn't just have the minimal requirements.

You already have a degree, the CF wont pay for you to get a second.

I started this thread because I have trouble finding answers to my questions as I am someone that is starting from 'scratch'. Mostly all the threads are questions by people that already have CF experience or piloting experience...

Keep looking on here....trust me.

I really think I'm being clear in my posts. Resource management support clerk, if you want to be precise, is what I applied for and I might switch to Logistics officer since I'm qualified. As I mentioned in my previous posts, I'm applying in the reserve, as a resource management support clerk to see if the military life is for me and I would like to go in the Regular force, as a pilot, if I do like it. I seriously spend a lot of time looking for answers to my questions, and I cannot find anyone in the same position as me : no experience whatsoever. I must admit, that I did find some information surfing through the forum however, being a student full-time and a part-time worker, I do find it difficult to spend a lot of time on the forum. So if you could elaborate your answers, it would be greatly appreciated.

Stargazer said:
I really think I'm being clear in my posts.

When did i f'ing say it was a question of clarity ?
Resource management support clerk, if you want to be precise,

I dont care about precise...."correct" however, would be nice.

same position as me : no experience whatsoever.

I'm sorry. I didnt realize that you were the first person in army.ca history to ask about becoming a pilot with no previous experience. Truely sorry.

So if you could elaborate your answers, it would be greatly appreciated.

And i'm on my only day off from an insane flying schedule. You dont have time to look, i dont have time to spoon feed Guess we're square.

Stargazer said:
I would just like to start off by apologizing for the punctuation and grammar in my previous messages, however a little respect would be appreciated 'kingkikapu' as I am communicating in my second language and it isn't always easy.
I originally noted french was your first language, and I commend you for trying to write in another language, but your writing went beyond language barriers; it was downright lazy.

This might just be me, but if I wanted a serious answer to a serious question, I would, you know, pose the question seriously.

It looks like you are making a real effort to communicate now though, so thank you Stargazer.  I promise to not be an ass anymore.

Bonne chance avec votre choix de carrière.

KK

Whoaaaa ok, enough! No need for attitude, sarcasm or arguing here! I just had a few questions to ask and I wanted you guys' opinion! I might be using the wrong words, I'm sorry if you miss-interpreted them.  ??? If there's a lot of information available in the forums, I must be looking at the wrong place! Any advice on where I should look ? It is the first time I use this forum. I'll look some more, but thank you for your answers everyone! Good day!

Merci KK! I promise I'll be more careful ;) I'm just so used to writing ''lazely''  :-\

Stargazer said:
I would just like to start off by apologizing for the punctuation and grammar in my previous messages, however a little respect would be appreciated 'kingkikapu' as I am communicating in my second language

It wasn't apparent.

Stargazer said:
and it isn't always easy.

You made it look like it was in your earlier posts.

Yes, those are compliments.

Any attempt by me to communicate in The Other Official Language would make it blatantly obvious what my first language was.

Stargazer said:
I did mention in my first post that I applied as a human resource clerk.

Then I missed that. And, as you know, there is no such trade. It is "RMS Clerk".

Stargazer said:
So what I am understanding from your last reply Loachman, is that I should apply at an army reserve unit if I want to be guaranteed a spot?

There are no guarantees of a position anywhere.

Stargazer said:
When I gave in my application at the recruiting center, the recruiter just mentioned there was a high demand in clerks and didn't mention that my chances of being selected for the air reserve unit would be slim.

There probably is a high demand for the trade overall, but he may not be aware of a flying unit's requirements and expectations - no recruiter could know everything about every occupation, along with its reserve and regular variations. Most of our RMS Clerks are Class B, or full time reserve. Our Chief Clerk and, I believe, one other are regular force. We may have a Class A (part time reserve) or two but I am not sure about that. Unlike Army Reserve units, we are active throughout the week. There is, therefore, a higher workload for the clerks and anyone who cannot parade enough to be useful is not going to get a position that could be filled by one that can. Our positions are in demand because we offer far more paid service per month than an Army Reserve unit can - fourteen days per month in my unit - as well as a chance to hang out with pilots. We have a waiting list for most positions as a result, so we can pick and choose.

Stargazer said:
As for the commitment level, I do plan on working at least 3 days per week at the unit.

If 438 Squadron has a need for Class A clerks, that may satisfy them. There will most likely be a waiting list of people with experience who will be far more competitive than you, however. There may be positions at whichever reserve brigade headquarters is in Montreal or SQFT HQ that you would have a better chance at, but they may want a little experience first as well. There are several reserve units in that area which would likely need clerks, but how much employment they could offer is probably far less. You should probably contact at least a few of them for information and advice, as well as to find a unit that you might like.

Stargazer said:
The reason why I asked if it would be best if I took flying lessons or another degree, is because the recruiter said that it is very hard to get in as a pilot.

It is, but a few flying lessons won't give you any better chance or make you any more attractive. It's the selection process and the training programme that are hard to get through. Aircrew Selection is designed to select those who have a reasonable chance of making it through the training programme, compared to the large number of applicants who most likely would not. Lots of people with a few flying lessons and even licences do not make it through Aircrew Selection or the training programme.

If you want to take flying lessons (and have the money) then take flying lessons - but don't do it just because you think that it would help you get in (it won't) or get through (it may or may not). There is a body of opinion that it may hinder your chances, because you will have been taught differently and some people have a hard time re-learning things.

Stargazer said:
He said that they would select someone that has been an air cadet and had flying experience over someone that had none,

Nope.

Stargazer said:
As for the RMC, I thought that if I had a second degree it would make me a competitive candidate as I wouldn't just have the minimal requirements.

My friend CDN Aviator answered that one perfectly.

Stargazer said:

There are threads that deal with most, if not all, of this with posts by people of all experience levels from yours  - we all started from "scratch" sometime - to mine and beyond that should give you a much better idea of what this is all about. Keep looking. You are actually asking some unique questions, though - or at least some that have not been asked for a long time - so that's fine with me.

Stargazer said:
I really think I'm being clear in my posts.

It's not what you think that counts, though.

I talked about clarity before. Terminology - the RMS Clerk/human resources clerk thing - is an important part of that, especially when one starts working in high-stress environments or with allies whose English-language abilities are far below yours.

Stargazer said:
I seriously spend a lot of time looking for answers to my questions, and I cannot find anyone in the same position as me : no experience whatsoever. I must admit, that I did find some information surfing through the forum however, being a student full-time and a part-time worker, I do find it difficult to spend a lot of time on the forum. So if you could elaborate your answers, it would be greatly appreciated.

Are you just surfing, or are you using the Search Function? If the latter, what key words are you using?

Thank you Loachman for all of your answers. Next time I go to the recruiting center, I'll make sure I ask more questions and I'll contact reserve units in Montreal. Good day!

I've been surfing throught the forums, I haven't really used the search bar.. I'll try it, thank you!

Back