• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Getting Ready for Basic Training

J_M_J_D, maybe you can assemble a group of people in your area to train. Based on what you described, it's nice to see that hard work pays off. Keep it up. I like BorisK's idea of doing the "force" test. We will plan it together using the Facebook group. Send me, BorisK, BMDS, or Drake Kho a private message to let us add you to the Facebook group if you are interested.

The force test idea isn't a bad idea, however don't have that as a goal or train with that too much on your mind. Aim much higher than that. The better prepared you are the less you'll suffer later. And if one day you feel like not training, just think someone else is training and getting better than you. And specially if you want combat arms, that someone might be the enemy. No days off, no easy training.
Just my thoughts on that.

Having the fitness level to pass the FORCE test isn't a good indicator of having the fitness level to pass BMQ/BMOQ.  The FORCE test is relatively short, however the day to day physical grind experienced at CFLRS will be much better handled by achieving the highest level of fitness you can attain before you step thru the Green Doors. 

Yes, the 'FORCE' test was in no means something I suggested as a critical benchmark for training, mostly for the reasons that have been indicated, more just as a 'fun' short drill to execute which can then be augmented with more rigorous fitness drills.  In addition I'm sure we all agree the purpose of this thread is not to avoid the responsibility of working out on your own time, but to augment that with some team activity for frankly no real reason other than shared goals and mutual respect. 

Anyone in the GTA that is interested, fire a message.  Again nothing serious intended here, just an excuse to make a couple of your workouts a month a bit different.

Cheers

Right on;  I just want you guys(and follow-on readers down the road) to understand passing the FORCE test isn't really much of a physical accomplishment and is not how high you want to 'set the bar' prep'ing for Basic.

8)

I echo EITS in saying that it's nice to see recruits/candidates not whinging and actively doing something about their fitness. 

Mods:  Sticky perhaps (because of the links to resources)?

Eye In The Sky said:
Right on;  I just want you guys(and follow-on readers down the road) to understand passing the FORCE test isn't really much of a physical accomplishment and is not how high you want to 'set the bar' prep'ing for Basic.

8)

Amen.  From what I can gather it isn't exactly a giant hurdle. 

My primary inclination for doing the test, or portions of it, prior to bmq (if accepted lol) is to soften the anxious feelings one may get when they hear the dreaded 'test' word... Helps [I find at least] to be able to say to yourself 'alright, let's do it just like before'.  I remember jogging when I was on vacation in the Caribbean every time I am on a run where I am pushing my limits - knowing I've done it before helps me dig a little deeper. 

That being said, off to the gym I go. 

Best to all.
Ps - remember : drink water! Most people are dehydrated chronically.  The benefits of hydration are shocking. 

Adios

Dimsum said:
Mods:  Sticky perhaps (because of the links to resources)?

I'm going to be on a business trip next couple days which will include some downtime - during which I will compile up some links from (and to) other threads I personally found super helpful along the lines of 'getting ready for basic - fitness'. 

Maybe that'll make it sticky worthy... let's see what happens. 

In the meantime : To all readers within the application process : be safe, be smart, apply yourself diligently, have integrity, but don't forget to smile... It's only 'basic'.  ; )

Eye In The Sky said:

8)

Exactly my point earlier.
The Facebook group is having some activity. And like it was said already, everyone that wants to participate is welcome.

I think BorisK summed up the purpose of this thread pretty well. This thread is about doing some team activity and providing motivation/respect. Further, doing the "force" test may not necessarily prepare candidates well for the basic training, but at least doing the test alleviates some of the anxiety that some of us may have about the basic training.

Hello, I too took my CFAT recently at CFRC Toronto. I like the idea of this group, I'm actually located in Scarborough right now and definitely wouldn't mind doing a bit of training with any one whose interested.

I am also interested in this. I'm based in North York and have a YCMA membership, if that's relevant.

Marchog, send me a pm with your facebook link and I will gladly add you to the group.

Are you in the Toronto area Amanda? Send me a pm with your Facebook link and I will add you to the group.

Just to keep the thread alive. Some of us have already met up and exercised together, and some are about to meet next week. Those are the updates from our private Facebook group.

Yes people. For the interested, don't think this idea died. It is well alive.
If anybody is interested they are very welcome to join us..

Back