• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Getting posted to a unit

B

Bav2002

Once finished BMQ, SQ, and BIQ for the Regs, how does the army determine which unit you will be assigned to?   would the average solider have any say in where he/she could go?   Based on preformance, is it tough to get into a para coy, or become an engineer?   Im really interested in an airborne occupation, just how tough is it to get in?

thx.

Not sure if this is going to help.  I'm assuming your going infantry(but never assume)?  I'll just tell you what happened to me.  I'm at the second last step to getting an offer. I had the apt,med, interview; passed all.  My civilian qualifications are now being judged to see if I am semi-skilled.  Anyway back to your question about unit posting.  I received a call this AM from the RC asking me which bases I would like to be posted to;pick three she said,so I did; Gagetown, Greenwood,Halifax. The RC also said that I might not be posted to any of my selections(so why ask???).  I was under the assumption,( there I go assuming again), that a new member would be posted where ever their is a shortage of what every your going in for.  I guess by asking they might make me a happy camper if I actually get posted to a choice, but hey it really doesn't matter......work is work; you have to do it somewhere :salute:.

Depending on your affiliated Infantry Battle School you attend (also making the same assumption you're Infantry based on your use of the acronym "BIQ" - the Career Manager of your Corps has the knowledge of which Battalion of your affiliated Unit needs a new soldier the most.
  Most of the time they DO try and place you regionally specifica to where you want to be - either based on your current family situation, next of kin and the like.... just be ready for the shocker should you get the total oposite side of the country that you were hoping for!!
  It happens I think to every soldier at one point in their career... If you're just entering the Regs, all I can offer you is to (a) pick the closest affiliated unit to wherever in the country you'd like to be in, (b) have an acceptable alternate ready in your head, (c) accept whatever posting with open arms, as the new fish in the pool you have less of an oportunity to barter for position, and (d) whatever comes - enjoy your new career, learn to be a part of the team, adopt the "eyes open - mouth shut" approach for a bit until you got the hang of the new place and be safe in all your endeavours...... if you can't be safe - drop the hammer on the bad-guy first!!

Cheers

Back