• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Germany retires 60% of Submarine fleet ahead of 2016 planned retirement

CougarKing

Army.ca Fixture
Inactive
Reaction score
Germany Retires 6 Of Its 10 Submarines
By ALBRECHT MÜLLER
Published: 4 Jun 2010 10:49
BONN, Germany - The German Navy abruptly decommissioned more than half of its submarine fleet on June 1, well ahead of the planned 2016 retirement of the six 500-ton U-206A-class diesel submarines.

Now the German sub fleet consists of four U-212A-class vessels. The 1,830-ton boats, among the world's most modern conventional submarines, have a new hybrid drive with a fuel cell that allows them to operate fully submerged for several weeks.

All four were commissioned between 2005 and 2007; the Navy is expecting the delivery of two more slightly modified U-212A-class subs by 2012 or 2013.

"At the moment, we expect their operational readiness not later than 2015," a German Navy spokesman said.

The spokesman did not say whether the decommissioning was related to recently announced government plans to cut defense spending.

The newspaper Kieler Nachrichten said the decommissioning of the U-206As has dropped Germany from second to sixth place among nations that operate non-nuclear submarines.

Between 1973 and 1975, Germany commissioned 18 U-206-class submarines. In the early 1990s, the service modernized 12 of them to the U-206 A standard, when they were the smallest operating armed submarines in the world, according to Navy officials.

The crews of the decommissioned boats will be retrained to serve on the U-212A subs.

"Until now, every crew was assigned to its own boat, but we will change this to a two-crew concept," the spokesman said.

That way, the submarines themselves can remain longer in an operational area while only their crews will have to be changed. Germany's planned F125 frigates also will use this approach.

Defense News link

All those potential bargins.....

Is it just me, but shouldn't we be purchasing used U-Booten Submarines from the Germans, and not the Brits?  Surface ships?  Yeah, I can see buying former Royal Navy ships, but subs?  ???

Yep... makes a whole lotta sense. Or Collins from the Aussies... or the swedish boats. BUT... we all know what a GREAT deal the Victorias were, don`t we?

It seems to me that the boats being retired may not be what we need.

As for the Germans retiring their submarine fleet (or bits of it,) they haven't done something like this since 1945.

Actually, if we were to buy German U Boats, it wouldn't mark the first time in our navy's history to have German-made submarines:
U889
u_boat_600.jpg

(U889 surrendering after VE day in the Bay of Fundy near Digby, NS)
U190
u190_canada.jpg

I wonder if they were renamed "His Majesty's Canadian Submarine U 190" and "U 889" respectively.

OK, one more photo.  This time, U 889 hoisting the Ensign

U-889%20surrender.jpg

Note the Canadian and German officers mingling in the foreground, and the German crewman in the background, looking on.

I say Transport should buy some used Audi cars then! Someone get the C 17 to Germany.

Back