• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Germany looking to sell costly, rarely used drone to Canada

I suppose it depends on how much you can buy it for.  If it come for a bag of pucks, then it might be worth it, as the rest of the expense will be to "refit it" up to whatever standards are needed to fly.

daftandbarmy said:
If it's European it will be demanding 8 weeks of paid vacation annually...

That’s 8-weeks of vacation not including “family month” (August), right?

#EuropeanVacationwasntjustamovie ;D

Buy the ground stations for cheap, then buy a squadron's worth of MQ-4C Tritons (say 8 or so).  Three each for Comox and Greenwood, with two rotating out for extended overhaul periods at any given time.  Operators could be anywhere.

And keep the Euro model for spare parts.

Rough guess: the RCAF could do this for about $1.5B (acquisition); I have no idea what the operating costs would be, but I anticipate they would be lower than the equivalent YFR from an Aurora.  (Not to say that these would replace Auroras - they would be complementary).

Quick.  Let's make up a "capability gap" and take advantage of this limited time offer!

SupersonicMax said:
Quick.  Let's make up a "capability gap" and take advantage of this limited time offer!

It is almost like you have seen this before, Max.

Back