• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Germany & France to jointly develop Main Ground Combat System (MGCS) - AKA "Leopard 3"

That, or more commonly something that destroys the incoming explosive projectile before it reaches its target.  The T-90 has both. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arena_(countermeasure)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shtora

tomahawk6 said:
What about a gun/launcher ? The Armata is said to have such a gun.The last time the US tried the gun/launcher was on the Sheridan airborne tank.It had a 152mm gun/launcher but had problems with the 152mm combustible case ammunition.

Those are already available as a drop-in for existing tanks -- the Israeli LAHAT is available in 105mm and 120mm versions, and is in service with two NATO armies (Germany and Croatia). It's a good piece of kit for what it is -- but most armies want to keep their tanks moving and instead fight the long-range missile battle with things like TOW and Javelin.

The Canadian Army, on the other hand, seems to be in denial that anti-armour weapons are even needed, and seems to think that the 84mm recoilless rifle represents the peak of armor defeating technology. Which isn't quite the same lesson that the Ukrainians have picked up.

MCG said:
Has there ever been a duplex round built for a cannon?  I assume there would be significant engineering problems to build it with good accuracy, but it would produce a double tap effect like described above.

I was more thinking along the lines of a coax launcher of some sort that releases multiple "targets" for the active defense system to try and deal with just ahead of the main gun round...but I'm guessing the problem would be having a smaller caliber round being able to have a higher velocity than the main gun round.  Maybe something rocket assisted?

Co-axial 25mm?  Fire a burst of 10 rds at the target and as they are in mid-air fire the main gun so that the rounds arrive at approximately the same time? 

NS

NavyShooter said:
Co-axial 25mm?  Fire a burst of 10 rds at the target and as they are in mid-air fire the main gun so that the rounds arrive at approximately the same time? 

NS

Questions then arise as to the velocities and trajectories of the Co-ax and the Main Gun, time to switch sights from Co-ax graticle to Main Gun graticle/computer computations and dispersion of rounds on target.

George Wallace said:
Questions then arise as to the velocities and trajectories of the Co-ax and the Main Gun, time to switch sights from Co-ax graticle to Main Gun graticle/computer computations and dispersion of rounds on target.

It all seems like a bit of a pointless exercise to me -- active defence systems like Afghanit and Trophy are optimised for use against ATGM, not tank main gun rounds. Sabot rounds are fast and small enough to punch right through any currently fielded active defence system.

Ostrozac said:
Those are already available as a drop-in for existing tanks -- the Israeli LAHAT is available in 105mm and 120mm versions, and is in service with two NATO armies (Germany and Croatia). It's a good piece of kit for what it is -- but most armies want to keep their tanks moving and instead fight the long-range missile battle with things like TOW and Javelin.

The Canadian Army, on the other hand, seems to be in denial that anti-armour weapons are even needed, and seems to think that the 84mm recoilless rifle represents the peak of armor defeating technology. Which isn't quite the same lesson that the Ukrainians have picked up.

Well if we upgraded to the M4 Carl G(brand new), and it's newest ammo line, we would at least be effective against modern tanks. that said the best counter to a tank imo is another tank if you can't wait for air power.

http://saab.com/globalassets/commercial/land/weapon-systems/support-weapons/carl-gustaf-m4/image-download/carl-gustaf-m4_8pg_brochure_d6.pdf

Hell even the Islamist realize the importance of ATGM's, the Russians are still bringing ATG to the mix and anyone trying to bomb them is going to meet a well layered AD system. Plus we don't have enough artillery to counter battery and due to all of it being towed, it's likely to suffer badly from being counter bombarded as well.

Poland wants to be a part of this tank development.

http://defnews.ly/2aMFOQd

Wonder if the PL-01 concept tank will have any influence?

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

Can't wait until the EU mandarins in Brussels get involved in this. Hope I'm still alive in twenty years when they roll it out. ;D

Back