• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Germans have "most powerful passport" (visa-free access to 177 countries)

CougarKing

Army.ca Fixture
Inactive
Reaction score
Perhaps here's one reason why all those refugees are headed to Germany instead of staying in other EU countries:

Business Insider
Germany has the world’s most powerful passport

Chloe Pantazi, INSIDER

Aug. 31, 2016, 9:16 AM

If you're British or American, you might think you have the most powerful passport in the world. But an index by the British immigration and citizenship firm Henley & Partners suggests otherwise.

According to Henley & Partners' Visa Restrictions Index, Germans hold the strongest passports, giving them visa-free access to 177 countries.

The European nation has held the index's top spot for three years in a row.

The index ranked 199 countries according to the travel freedom each offers its citizens out of a possible 218 countries, using data from the International Air Transport Association (IATA). According to the index, the IATA holds the largest database of travel information.

Nationalities were awarded points based on the number of other countries their citizens could travel to without a visa, as of January 1.

Sweden came in second place, with visa-free access to 176 countries. The United Kingdom, which held the top spot in the ranking from 2013 to 2015 (including twice tying Germany), came in third place along with Finland, France, Italy, and Spain, with 175 countries at passport holders' fingertips.

The United States dropped from second place in 2015 to fourth place this year, tied with Belgium, Denmark, and the Netherlands, all of which offer access to 174 countries.

As for nations with the most limited travel, Afghanistan is ranked the worst in 104th place, with access to just 25 countries. Pakistan is second-worst, with travel permitted to 29 countries, and Iraq is third from the bottom, restricted to 30 other countries.

Here is the top 10:

Rank, country, visa-free access

1. Germany, 177
    2. Sweden, 176
    3. Finland, France, Italy, Spain, United Kingdom, 175
    4. Belgium, Denmark, Netherlands, United States, 174
    5. Austria, Japan, Singapore, 173
  6. Canada, Ireland (Republic of), Korea (Republic of, South), Luxembourg, Norway, Portugal, Switzerland, 172
    7. Greece, New Zealand, 171
    8. Australia, 169

9. Malta, 168
    10. Hungary, Czech Republic, Iceland, 167

I don't really understand why Canadians and Australians require Visas of each other.  That would seem to be the least of concerns for each.

So the Germans continue to enjoy their historical ability to easily enter other countries without having to ask permission? :whistle:

jmt18325 said:
I don't really understand why Canadians and Australians require Visas of each other.  That would seem to be the least of concerns for each.

Australia requires visas from every all countries except New Zealand - they get a different sort of permit. 

Dimsum said:
Australia requires visas from every all countries except New Zealand - they get a different sort of permit.

Had no idea - guess I should have looked that up.

Maybe it works both ways?

"Due to events in their fairly recent past, Germany had some of the softest immigration standards in Europe.
If you had a pulse, they tended to let you in."

Deutschland 93
Narcos.

jmt18325 said:

Could it be some of the people we have allowed to hold our Passports and comments like: "A Canadian is a Canadian is a Canadian."?  Or perhaps the thoughts of someone like Anjem Choudary may having free access to your population to preach their agenda?  It is not like any of these Commonwealth nations have no people operating  marginally within the Law, who are promoting less than desirable agendas.

George Wallace said:
Could it be some of the people we have allowed to hold our Passports and comments like: "A Canadian is a Canadian is a Canadian."?

Well first - I wholeheartedly agree with that comment.  That exchange very much convinced me that my intention to vote for the Conservatives again was unwise.

Second - I can't see Australia having more concerns than the US.  It is in fact that Australia requires Visas of almost everyone.

Don't let that stand in the way of a soap box though.

jmt18325 said:
... That exchange very much convinced me that my intention to vote for the Conservatives again was unwise.

That was not a phrase out of the Conservative playbook, so you have me confused as to your logic.

George Wallace said:
That was not a phrase out of the Conservative playbook, so you have me confused as to your logic.

Trudeau was right - Harper was wrong.

I'm off topic.

jmt18325 said:
Trudeau was right - Harper was wrong.

I'm off topic.

Ah!  You are of that ilk.  I guess my confusion over your logic had merit.  Sorry, but I do not accept naive statements such as "A Canadian is a Canadian is a Canadian" as holding much credibility along the same lines of "A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof. And when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven."  Both are incredulously asinine.

Dimsum said:
...like the UK can handle the mass emigration.  >:D

LOL, no thanks, all we need is a cohort ban the blade babies marching in our streets trying to ruin us the way the ruin themselves. 

Back