• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Geomatics Technician (merged)

does anyone have any information on this trade,i know that it is a 17 month course and i know its not a direct entry trade, you already have to be moc qualified and then transfer, but can anyone maybe if there is even someone of this trade in here, please tell me what you do ?
thank you  :cdn:

a_beautiful_tragedy said:
does anyone have any information on this trade,i know that it is a 17 month course and i know its not a direct entry trade, you already have to be moc qualified and then transfer, but can anyone maybe if there is even someone of this trade in here, please tell me what you do ?
thank you  :cdn:

I dont think we have any GEO Techs on this board.  Not many of those guys to begin with.  I used to work with a few of them.  We had a group of them come to all the camps in Kosovo to do surveys.

Trying to find out information on trade Geo Tech 142.

Went to CFRC about CT and they knew very little about the trade, gave me a web site and said look for yourself.

Looking for:
Prereqs, can I keep my leadership qual, what the course is like, after course job postings, etc

Am an infantry Sgt (reserve) 17 years.  ~5 years full time.

Appreciate any help

If you are Reg and have a PLQ, you do not loose that qualification.  While on Crse and OJT, you will probably be reduced in Rank (probably to Cpl) if you have a higher rank.  You will not have to redo a PLQ again to be promoted MCpl after you have met the time and skills required in your new Trade progression.  If you were a higher rank, you will maintain that pay, until such time as the pay in your new rank, in the new Trade, catches up to it and passes it (Vested Rights).

try this link, http://www.recruiting.forces.gc.ca/media/pdf/142_en.pdf

Hope it helps.

George Wallace said:
If you are Reg and have a PLQ, you do not loose that qualification.  While on Crse and OJT, you will probably be reduced in Rank (probably to Cpl) if you have a higher rank.  You will not have to redo a PLQ again to be promoted MCpl after you have met the time and skills required in your new Trade progression.  If you were a higher rank, you will maintain that pay, until such time as the pay in your new rank, in the new Trade, catches up to it and passes it (Vested Rights).

GW,

I thought that if it was a voluntary occupational transfer, you did not have vested right to pay ?

just to let you all know there is a way to get into this trade
i just got accepted into it
it was a lot of work to do it but i dont have any military experience at all, not even BMQ
just advanced math and geometry marks and determination :cdn:
you are supposed to transfer after 3-5 years from another occupation yes, but sometimes they make exceptions it can be done
still cant believe i got it
hard part is 17 months of school ahead after BMQ and SQ that scares most away lol ;D
looking forward to BQM this sunday nov.16 in st.jean!
been trying to get into this field for 10 years now im 33

armygeo said:
just to let you all know there is a way to get into this trade
i just got accepted into it
it was a lot of work to do it but i dont have any military experience at all, not even BMQ
just advanced math and geometry marks and determination :cdn:
you are supposed to transfer after 3-5 years from another occupation yes, but sometimes they make exceptions it can be done
still cant believe i got it
hard part is 17 months of school ahead after BMQ and SQ that scares most away lol ;D
looking forward to BQM this sunday nov.16 in st.jean!
been trying to get into this field for 10 years now im 33

If you look at the recruiting website it states:

Applicants to the GEO TECH occupation must have completed Qualification Level 4 (or equivalent) in another military occupation or all apprenticeship requirements in a civilian trade.

Maybe that's why you got in.

I have merged the three similar Geo Tech threads and deleted two of three identical posts.

armygeo, please do not make multiple identical posts on different boards.  Your post was good information for those hoping to be part of the trade and you've made your point, but it didn't need to be repeated in three different threads.  Your multiple identical posts verge on spamming the boards.

I understand you are enthusiastic about your new trade and the topic, however please review the forum guidelines, specifically this rule:

>You will not spam the boards. This is usually described as making the same post over and over, or the same post to multiple forums or threads.

If you cannot follow the conduct guidelines wrt your posts, you will go up the warning system.  Consider this a friendly hint.

The Army.ca Staff

Hello

I'm interested in Geomatics, I'm currently finishing my undergrad in Geomatics, and will be starting my graduates studies in Geomatics.

First off, I want to know if it is possible to be a geomatics officer?

Second, would Geomatics be a good background to work as an INT officer?

Thanks

Unfortunately the geomatics field really is an NCM trade. You could however try Engineer. Not so much for Int though.

My  :2c:.

Also, be prepared for even more schooling if you decide to go for Geomatics as an NCM. My husband is currently waiting for an offer for this. Even though he has a geomatics/civil engineering degree from Ryerson, he's likely to have to attend Algonquin for 2 years w/ the Army's program. Of course, things may change when we get the offer - I'll update this thread when that happens...

Fueldistributa said:
First off, I want to know if it is possible to be a geomatics officer?

Second, would Geomatics be a good background to work as an INT officer?

It is my understanding that there is such a thing as a Geomatics Officer, however, it is a specialization under the ENG O career path, and as far as I know, you cannot enter the CF under such a title. I don't know any details about the career progression if you already have geomatics experience. The CFRC literature says after 2-3 years, you can branch into geomatics, among other areas.  The progression is of interest to me also since geo is my civilian area of expertise, and I am hoping to have my experience recognized under my ENG DEO application.  Geomatics falls under the Engineering Branch so if you want to aim for an officer rank in geomatics you have to enter as an ENG O. first.  As far as INT, GIS/remote sensing make up an aspect of the work, certainly IMGINT has a direct relation. Geography is also an element of INT, and geomatics is geography in a digital sense, so it is relevant under the term  'geospatial intelligence'.  However, to what degree the recruiting process considers one's geomatics knowledge for the INT trade would only be speculation on my part.  INT seems to recruit mainly via OT, and less from direct entry.  Best to ask someone in the know...like a recruiter.

I'm currently on the Geomatics course here at Algonquin going into the final year, there is not Geomatics Officers specializing in Geomatics just because the man power is just not there yet (so i've been told, since I was asking the same question myself). The next course going through is this August coming up, and also been told the last course to go through allowing direct entries in unless possibly you already have prior experience in the Geomatics background. The course coming up is the 4th course ever to allow direct entries to go Geomatics Technicians

Hi Roachy, I'm curious about the Algonquin program as far as its curriculum. Can you tell me how much of the course is on general geomatics subjects versus the specific application of it within the CF?  I'm curious because I've got 10+ years civilian exp. in geomatics and I'm applying direct entry ENG O with the plan to specialize in the field.  I'm wondering whether there are specific courses that focus on CF applications, or if each course across the program covers the relevance of it in CF?  In the end, it just data, it's the context that matters.

In your first year you will be learning from English, geography, math, to more hands on classes using practical applications like Geographic Information systems and Remote sensing, both dealing with theory and working with programs such as ArcGIS and ERDAS, Monday-Thursday you have civilian's teaching the courses and friday's you take everything you learn and put it into how you'd use it in the military. All summer (which i'm currently doing) it's mainly everything  covered over the year and put into military terms. You also take a couple courses like Data Collection and TERA, with smaller courses on HTML, networking, working with the DAGR, etc... We also have a couple guys on our course with geomatics/surveying experience on our course, doesn't make that much a difference to be honest. Also when you graduate you will also get 2 diploma's, one from the school and one from the military, that can be used on the civi side.

Thanks for the breakdown.  Interesting mix of subjects.  Good luck with your final year!

Fueldistributa/gszd55,

I'm in a similar situation (civi-geomatics/survey background, DEO-ENG-O Applicant). While I'm by no means an authority on the subject, I've been in the recruiting system going on a couple years now and have collected some info that may be helpful.

I believe when Roachy refers to "direct entires" he is referring to the Geomatics Technician NCM-trade (used to be OT-only if I'm not mistaken). If you're going DEO then you'd join as an Engineer Officer and later specialize in Geomatics after your first tour with a Regiment. One caveat...a geo background does not guarantee you'll end up performing in that capacity as an Engineer Officer. The powers that be could decide you're better suited for EOD or Construction and put you there instead (or so I've been told).

From what I understand, as an Engineer Officer in the Geomatics-stream, you'll likely eventually end up in Ottawa at the Napping and Farting...ahhhemmm... Mapping and Charting Establishment.

But, latest word from recruiting is that the Engineer O spots are all sewn up for this year anyway.

Back