• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Geomatics Technician (merged)

Also good to know, thanks very much.  I didn't know a CT agreement could deviate much from the standard offer.  The WO in Ottawa doing the CT was aware of the Geography degree but not my newest GEO diploma, which is worth more than the uni degree (to me).  It is being updated in my MPRR as we speak.

I majored in Geography in University but honestly, community college is where it's at for GEO.  University is heavy on the theory and EXPENSIVE, while a technical school is very hands on and often more affordable.

Anyone thinking of getting involved in Geomatics reading this post now or in the future, I would recommend college Geomatics programs, such as the one at NSCC COGS, Algonquin, BCIT, Ryerson (uni?), and probably a few others I haven't heard of.

Hello everyone,

I am currently an undergraduate student in Geomatics supposed to be graduating in December 2018 and I am interested in being a Geo Technician with the Canadian Forces. My plan is to join the reserves and apply for a part-time job as a Geo Tech in the army while finishing my bachelor's degree.  After this, I would apply for a full-time position an do the Algonquin College military program. I just wanted to know if this plan makes any sense.

Questions:
Would I get a bonus salary if I become full time with a bachelor's degree?
And will it be possible for me to get some classes credited?
Also, what is the difference between being part-time Geo Tech and Full-time? Thank you

arcmap said:
Hello everyone,

I am currently an undergraduate student in Geomatics supposed to be graduating in December 2018 and I am interested in being a Geo Technician with the Canadian Forces. My plan is to join the reserves and apply for a part-time job as a Geo Tech in the army while finishing my bachelor's degree.  After this, I would apply for a full-time position an do the Algonquin College military program. I just wanted to know if this plan makes any sense.

Questions:
Also, what is the difference between being part-time Geo Tech and Full-time? Thank you

You would likely receive a pay incentive increase coming into the occupation with a degree in Geomatics by submitting a Prior Learning Assessment Review (PLAR); however, if your plan is to become a RegF Geo Tech, why not simply apply as a RegF Geo Tech?  You could always finish your degree part-time after completing the Algonquin College program (QL5A).  You would not get any of the Algonquin College program (QL5A) credited by arriving with a BSc/BEng in Geomatics, only the pay incentive, and also likely finding the training easier since you would have a background in theory and some of the "buttonology", etc.

But you would probably find the training complementary to your education if you join the reserves and do the two concurrently.  Where are you attending university?

arcmap said:
Hello everyone,

Questions:

You are unlikely to get a bonus salary due to your bachelors degree. It is more likely a recruiter will try and steer you towards becoming an engineering officer and get you into the *new* Geo stream for engineering officers(look this up for details). However if you still became a Reg F Geo Tech having the education would help your career, especially if you were able to apply it. I am not a recruiter, you'll have to talk to them about $$$.

You will not get any classes credited, you will do all the courses on your QL5A.

As far as has been explained to me Reservist Geo Techs are trained to accomplish the basic tasks of a team, like printing off maps and taking work orders. The program is still developing, and in a working environment a supervisor might use you to your capabilities but review everything you do that you have not been officially trained to do, maybe?

I would continue your education, and apply to be a reservist Geomatics Technician.

hi everyone, what is the difference between the hourly rate of a parttime geotech vs a full time geotech?

arcmap said:
hi everyone, what is the difference between the hourly rate of a parttime geotech vs a full time geotech?

Pay Rates
http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/caf-community-pay/pay-rates.page

do you make more money as a GeoTech in the military or as a Civilian?

Hows the typical geotech career like in the military?

For me geoteching was being a worker in a Geophysics crew, doing PEM, IP type surveys in the field, work was boom or bust and extremely hard on any family or social life, almost all the old hands were divorced. Going by this thread I suspect  the work the CF wants is more office based, so you are likely to have a better routine but less money than civy street. 

hello,

i have recently finished my MSc in Geography and Geomatics from Guelph University. I also just applied to the cf for the Geo Tech position and my plar gave me the status of private 3 or semi-skilled. I need to pass the the medical test and i have the following questions:

Are you able to get in wearing glasses? My vision is pretty good, but still not perfect.
i have a sprained elbow at the moment and my doctor will fill-out a form for this soon which states that i am fully recovered. Would this be an issue?
Lastly, what are the chances that i will get it considering that plar gave me an increase in pay incentive?

Thanks

helhghgh said:
Are you able to get in wearing glasses?

See also,

Vision Questions Megathread
https://army.ca/forums/threads/432.0/nowap.html
33 pages

helhghgh said:
Lastly, what are the chances that i will get it considering that plar gave me an increase in pay incentive?

Prior Learning Assessment Review( PLAR ) FAQs
https://army.ca/forums/threads/42867.75
8 pages.

As always, Recruiting is your most trusted source of official, up to date information.

Unofficial site, not associated with DND or the Canadian Armed Forces.

Hello all,

For current Geo's, what type of work do you have on the day-to-day? Civvie side I enjoy working with things like photogrammetry, drone photography, and elevation capturing (DEM,DSM). Are these things possible with geo's or is that more of a surveyor?

Hi, just a general information question I have here: Does anyone have any idea what the internal structure of the Mapping and Charting Establishment is like. I know it's pretty much like any field engineer regiment (split into squadrons and troops), but what does each part of the unit actually do?

Back