• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Geomatics Technician (merged)

I'm sorry I haven't been back in this thread to update. Yes, my husband is on the course at Algonquin now (Roachy, you might know him). He's learning about more and entirely different things than he did in his career as a surveyor or his education leading up to that. He's told me the math is around Grade 11 level, so far at least. We haven't looked at a career path for him, though, beyond Sgt or WO. We HAVE started dreaming about the postings to Florida or Italy...

Hi, I was wondering about the Geomatics trade within the CF. I am going to school for Geomatics at the moment and I feel this trade best suits my education once I decide to go regular force (Im a reservist now). I am aware that Geomatics Technicians are attached to the engineering branch of the CF and I was wondering if Geomatics Technicians could do specialty training such as combat diver. Is this type of training only offered to the combat engineer trade? Also, when deployed on operations would geomatics technicians generally operate outside the wire to survey or conduct geographic analysis? Or would they usually operate from within HQ? It would be great if someone with knowlege or even better, personal experience could answer my question.

Mods please move to the ENGINEER Sub section....

Caribou709 said:
Hi, I was wondering about the Geomatics trade within the CF. I am going to school for Geomatics at the moment and I feel this trade best suits my education once I decide to go regular force (Im a reservist now). I am aware that Geomatics Technicians are attached to the engineering branch of the CF and I was wondering if Geomatics Technicians could do specialty training such as combat diver. Is this type of training only offered to the combat engineer trade? Also, when deployed on operations would geomatics technicians generally operate outside the wire to survey or conduct geographic analysis? Or would they usually operate from within HQ? It would be great if someone with knowlege or even better, personal experience could answer my question.

Probably not as they are not Combat Engineers and they are not "attached to the engineer branch", they are part of the BRANCH.

EDITED TO ADD:

Overview
You will collect geospatial data using imagery and Global Positioning System devices and survey equipment; you will store, process, present, disseminate and manage this data, and provide geomatics support to the Army, the Navy and the Air Force.

What They Do
Geomatics Technicians (GEO TECHs) are members of the Military Engineering Branch of the Canadian Forces who capture, synthesize, store, process, present, disseminate and manage geospatial information. Their primary role is to provide geomatics support to the Army, the Navy and the Air Force. Geomatics is the measurement, management, presentation and analysis of geospatial data, using cutting-edge technology.

A GEO TECH has the following primary duties:
• Collect geospatial data using imagery (from satellite, aerial and hand-held cameras), Global Positioning System devices and survey equipment;
• Manage and fuse digital geospatial data and products from a wide range of sources;
• Produce digital and hard-copy maps, charts, three-dimensional visualizations and other geospatial products to help commanders and their staff understand and move in the battle space;
• Generate and reproduce digital geospatial products;
• Distribute geospatial products from the Canadian Forces Map Depot to units in garrison and on operations; and
• Provide expert geomatics advice and liaison to Canadian Forces personnel at all levels of command.

Qualification Requirements
Applicants to the GEO TECH occupation must have completed Qualification Level 4 (or equivalent) in another military occupation or all apprenticeship requirements in a civilian trade.

GEO TECHs must be independent problem-solvers with stereovision acuity, a strong orientation to technology and above-average mathematics skills. They must be confident, competent computer users, and capable of performing repetitive tasks while working to precise standards and tolerances. Finally, they must be comfortable working either alone or as team members, and be eligible for high security clearance.

Initial Employment
GEO TECHs are primarily employed at the MCE; however, they are embedded in every major headquarters across Canada. Opportunities exist for international postings, including an exchange with the United States Army. The operational tempo is high, so GEO TECHs can expect to deploy.

Upon completion of Basic MOC Training, the GEO TECHs’ career progression normally involves:
• The first tour of duty working at MCE providing geomatics support through the production of geospatial information and participation on field surveys, exercises, and operations.
• Subsequent tours of duty as a geospatial analyst deployed to the various units or headquarters as well as at the MCE.

In Canada, GEO TECHs are employed at the following units:
• Mapping and Charting Establishment, Ottawa, Ontario.
• National Defence Headquarters, Ottawa, Ontario.
• Canadian Forces Joint Information and Intelligence Fusion Capability Detachment, CFS Leitrim, Ottawa, Ontario.
• Canadian Forces Joint Imagery Centre, Ottawa, Ontario.
• Canadian Forces Joint Operations Group, Kingston, Ontario.
• 1st Canadian Mechanized Brigade Group Headquarters, Edmonton, Alberta.
• 2nd Canadian Mechanized Brigade Group Headquarters, Petawawa, Ontario.
• 4th Engineer Support Regiment, Gagetown, New Brunswick.
• 5e Groupe-brigade mécanisé du Canada, Valcartier, Québec.
• 1st Canadian Air Division Headquarters, Winnipeg, Manitoba.
• Maritime Atlantic Headquarters, Halifax, Nova Scotia.

Please consult your local recruiter to verify the availability of this Reserve occupation in your area

Specialty Training
Personnel who demonstrate the required ability, desire and ambition may be selected to undertake advanced military occupation training through formal courses or apprentice training as they progress in their careers. Specialty training is also available for selected personnel based on suitability for employment in the following disciplines:
• Geodetic survey training
• Geospatial database management
• Advanced geomatics applications
• Advanced terrain analysis
• Geomatics engineering diploma

Working Environment
GEO TECHs work in all three Environmental Commands (Army, Navy and Air), and support all Canadian Forces’ exercises and operations. Most work at a base or station is done in an office environment, using high-tech computer workstations and software designed for geomatics. GEO TECHs are also employed aboard ships, on survey duties, and in Army units that train in the field and deploy on operations.

Normal levels of mental stress are encountered when employed at a static unit, but stress increases considerably when on exercise or deployed on operations.

Appropriate training, environmental clothing and equipment are provided, and GEO TECHs’ health, safety and morale are closely monitored.

Related Civilian Occupations
• Geographic Information System Technician
• Geodetic Surveyor
• Data Base Manager
• Cartographer
• Photogrammetrist
• Federal Public Service:
• Engineering and Scientific Support
• Computer Services

Training
Basic Military Occupational Training

Basic Military Occupational (MOC) Training for GEO TECHs takes about 68 weeks (17 months) at the School of Military Mapping at the Mapping and Charting Establishment (MCE) in Ottawa, Ontario. Topics include:
• Battle space analysis and visualization products;
• Mathematics and survey;
• Photogrammetry;
• Use of remote sensing software and data;
• Use of geographic information systems and data;
• Production of geospatial data;
• Use of navigation systems;
• Geomatics product reproduction process;
• Computer hardware and software; and
• Geomatics product distribution process.

Courtesy of FORCES.CA

I got this from a friend of mine whose husband is in the trade:

re: cbt diving - as with any specialty course, approval usually rests
upon your supervisor.  Can't see a supervisor approving cbt dive for a
Geo Tech who would never use this skill in his job.

re: ops - currently Geos are normally employed in KAF in the wire with
the ASIC in GIS not survey.  Can't speak to other intl ops.  Dom ops
are wide open for both GIS and survey.

Hope this helps.

I am moving in to this trade also. My question is where do you live while completing your training at Algonquin College? Are there quarters near the school, or do you stay in residence?

Good day everybody. I got a call earlier this week and was offered a spot in the CF as a GEO TECH. I feel I've done a fair bit of research on the trade myself, but I would love to be able to get in contact with someone already in the trade.

All the best.

Also, my apologies but could this thread please be moved to the Engineers subsection in Combat Service Support and Branches? Sorry, still new here.

Vanillaueva said:
Also, my apologies but could this thread please be moved to the Engineers subsection in Combat Service Support and Branches? Sorry, still new here.

Why? Geo Techs belong to the ENGINEER BRANCH not CSS.... thus your post is in the correct place.....

Vanillaueva said:
Good day everybody. I got a call earlier this week and was offered a spot in the CF as a GEO TECH. I feel I've done a fair bit of research on the trade myself, but I would love to be able to get in contact with someone already in the trade.

All the best.
Already stuff out there on the threads - standby for merge....

So I was looking on the forces website the other day, trying to find a trade I would be interested in. There were a few trades that sparked my attention, but one more than others. I am currently an Infantry reservist with just over 1 year in, and I have my DP1 trade qualification. I have always intended on going regular force but decided I would get my DP1 Infantry before I considered a component transfer. I've done a bit of research on Geomatics Technician and I think its the right fit for me. I did a few searches on the army.ca forums, a lot of the stuff I've found is from over 5 or 6 years ago, nothing that really applies to me. I'm planning on doing a CT to regular force and I think I may apply for Geomatics Technician. The reason I'm posting is I'm not sure how likely I will be to get into this trade, as from what I have read it's not all that big. I did check the forces website, and it says under the job browser "accepting applications" which I take means that its a job that they are looking for people to apply for.

I've always been interested in geography, and I think this is partially why I am very interested in this trade. In high school I took several different geography courses, and have always enjoyed workings with maps etc. So I guess the point to this post is, if anyone has any information other than what is provided on the forces website, such as specific prerequisites, how likely it is to get into this trade, etc.

I'm more than likely going to give the recruiting centre a call this week, but if there is anyone here that may know a bit more from personal experiences, I would greatly appreciate the advice.

Thanks

dh101 said:
I'm more than likely going to give the recruiting centre a call this week,

CFRC has nothing to do with your potential CT. Further to that, showing "accepting applications" does not mean any positions are available for internal transfers. There may or may not be as most trades establish intake numbers specific to various entry plans.

I know that CFRC does not deal with CT's, however, they would still have information on the trade

I knew a member in PRETC who was awaiting his Geotech course. He got promoted to Cpl after basic, and he had a degree in something to do with topography and mapping. He said the trade was small, mostly posted to Ottawa and worked with Sr. Officers.

Take this with a grain of salt, since I don't really know anything about the trade, and as a PRETC, I'm sure he wasn't completely sure either.

dh101 said:
I know that CFRC does not deal with CT's, however, they would still have information on the trade

If you watch the video on the forces site it tells you what you need to know, a LONG training delta, very strong math and computer skills are the big things.  Only thing missing is you need really high CFAT scores (out of NCM occupations Geo Tech and Flight Engineer require the highest scores), particularly in the problem solving arena.  The CFRC will review your previous CFAT scores (if you did the CFAT) and advise you if you need to take the CFAT again or not.  They will also conduct your interview.  But like CDN Aviator said, the SIP for off the street and CT-Untrained maybe quite different (if you have access to the DWAN you can check yourself). 

Anyone recently apply for Geotech?

I've heard mixed things. Either it is really hard to get in due to the few position hiring per year or that it is hard up for applicants given the program length and the relativly low pay compared with the civilian sector for someone with the same qualifications. I've also heard it requires one of the highest scores on the CFAT.

I've applied for this trade, haven't heard much from recruiting as of yet.

Also, anyone able to go into more detail about the possible postings in Italys and Florida (as of now the video on the "jobs" page only mentions Italy). Where? How does one get these postings? The nature etc.

Thanks,

I've heard mixed things. Either it is really hard to get in due to the few position hiring per year or that it is hard up for applicants given the program length and the relativly low pay compared with the civilian sector for someone with the same qualifications. I've also heard it requires one of the highest scores on the CFAT.

I dont know what the quote is this year for the Geomatics course, but they are substantially smaller. And they seem to be going almost 90% with Occupational Transfers. As for the pay; I would argue unless you have a degree in Geography, with a minor in Geomatics, and you have several years in the industry, then yes the pay may not be comparable if you are entering from civy street.

But if you dont have a Geomatics diploma, the program pays you a very good salary and pays for your education. You get paid as private going to school more than an OCdt will getting there degree. So that comparison is utter hog wash. You have to be pretty damn good to get paid better than a GeoTech does with there spec pay.

Also, anyone able to go into more detail about the possible postings in Italy's and Florida (as of now the video on the "jobs" page only mentions Italy). Where? How does one get these postings? The nature etc.

I dont believe there are any postings to Florida. There are postings to Italy, England and I believe Belgium. But thats off the top of head for out of Canada postings. Dont wrap your head around those. Most of those are very high level postings that would require you to pass your course and have quite a bit of experience. Not only that, I assume they are highly competitive. They are things to think about working towards, but definitely not a reason to be signing the paperwork.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the reply.

As far as the comparison, I made it based on my experience working up north for Gold/Silver exploration camps. There was a shortage of qualified Geomatics/GIS individuals and the ones who did go made very good money. My cabin mate had a GIS diploma and was making considerably more money than me, doing based surveying and GIS work in the arctic tundra. He spoke very highly of the job prospects. Don't get me wrong, the CAF pays well compared to other armed forces, and I assume if your trying to join the military pay is not one of the reason high on the list as why, so it may be a null point to begin with.

Of course, this does not equate to all aspects/applications of geomatics/GIS.

As far as I understand it, the trade used to be only occupational transfer, only recently open for "non-skilled" entry, I could be wrong though. I'm trying to get in for Geomatics Technician, have never been in the CAF before.

I've read some things on this forum stating that you need to score quite highly on the CFAT as well to be considered.

Any work that is done in austere locations is going to pay well. From what I have seen the CF pays the same or higher for the layman when it comes to GIS. And you are also forgetting the other benefits. Not many companies that will provide you 6 weeks of paid vacation, Medical dental and the flexibility that the CF gives you if shit happens in life. Those benefits may be hard to quanitfy, but they are a huge consideration.

But all of that is just my 2 cents.

As for direct entry, the last two courses had 4 direct entries between them, and all of them except for one had previous Geo education. So I imagine its not easy to get in at all. As for the CFAT I dont know. I was expecting to have to redo my CFAT when I OT'd, but was extremely surprised when I scored high enough. And I have zero post secondary at all for what its worth. But thats not saying the CFAT is low for that trade. I just circled the right letters on the test is my guess.

Conceded, pay in the remote areas will always be higher. Even a general laborer was getting paid some 230 a day.

Hmm, still hoping I can manage to get a job offer for the trade.

During their 20month at Algonquin College, where do they stay?

I have searched around but haven't found any answer.

Thanks.

Back