• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

General CFRC Questions – Regular Forces

There are actually quite a few highland regiments scattered across the Reserve (Seaforths, Canadian Scottish, two types of Camerons, Cap Breton Highlanders, 48th, etc).  If you want to wear a kilt in the Regular Force the RCR (in addtion to the RCAF) also has a pipe band.

MarkDownly said:
I want to join the forces at 16 as a full time student and I would really like some insight on how that would go as if is there a course at school or at the recruitment center or what just any info and or insight would be nice.

MarkDownly

Welcome to army.ca

When you registered for this site, you were supposed to read the site rules.  As you are computer literate, you should know how to do a SEARCH.  As the military has been around for several millennium, any questions you may have, have likely been asked and answered many times over those millennium. 

Our advice to you now is to READ more and Post less.

http://army.ca/forums/threads/656.0.html

Topic LOCKED

After you complete your BMQ do you meet with a career councilor to plan out a potential  career  targetory?

To help advise you on what courses to aim for and way to work on any weaknesses that need to be addressed to be more competitive for those goals?

I am finding that a lot of the trade specific information concerning career progression is a need to know once you get hired.  I am worried about getting caught flat footed after BMQ and trade training; don't want to miss an opportunity afterwards because or lack of research or preparedness.

Thanks,

Panda.

No, that's what your supervisor and career manager is for. There is nothing you can do between enrollment and arriving at your first posting to change anything on your "trajectory" other than maximal effort on your courses.

I just completed the RAVEN program and I have gained interest in joining the Navy, but I am curious if you have a choice on where you would like to be posted in the reg force. I happen to live on Vancouver Island and what would be the odds of me being posted to Esquimalt??

Seymour98 said:
I have gained interest in joining the Navy, but I am curious if you have a choice on where you would like to be posted in the reg force.

Forum: Navy

Subject: Chances of going East/West
http://army.ca/forums/threads/91446/post-902292.html#msg902292

OP: I know that you have some sort of say in the matter, but its not guaranteed.

Moderator: Its been discussed but once again here it is. If you find yourself on the coast you did not want to go to, do your job and stick it out. During Divisional Interviews and when you see the Career manager let them know you where you want to go. Remember as well there are no guarantees you will get the coast you want. Also fill out a request form when you get to your unit.

Milnet.Ca Staff

Trade selection is also a factor. eg: "Purple" trade versus "Hard-sea" trade.

Seymour98 said:
I just completed the RAVEN program and I have gained interest in joining the Navy, but I am curious if you have a choice on where you would like to be posted in the reg force. I happen to live on Vancouver Island and what would be the odds of me being posted to Esquimalt??

Upon completion of your occupational training and when it comes time to post you, you can request a "preferred" location but whether you get that location or not, will be based on the needs of the CAF.

If you are enrolled into a "hard" Naval occupation (ie; Navy ONLY), your first posting should be to either Ships East (Halifax) or Ships West (Esquimalt).  So your chances of being assigned to Esquimalt are 50-50.

I am necro posting here, instead of creating a new thread.

I have seen that halal/kosher/vegetarian food, may or will be available in varying degrees at each of the bases and this is not the issue. Nor is the fact I am allowed my beard with certain restrictions. In fact I am more then happy.

My question is, at which point should I inform the recruiting office about my wish to keep a beard and eat halal? (halal, vegetarian and kosher all work for me).

If their are enough Jewish, Vegetarian or Muslims signing up would they arrange to have us do BMQ together? (extremely long shot and not realistic, I know. I also do not expect it) I have talked to the recruiter about keeping a beard and all he said was show up to bmq and claim religious exemption... but I prefer to double check and inquire about eating Halal, Kosher or Vegetarian.

Also I watched the basic up series, very informative and I am aware that I will most likely need to shave my beard even if I have an exemption for the gas chamber training. That also as me wondering if they will request me to be clean shaven for bmq and then I could grow it out after? (That is acceptable to me, because it is legitimate training and they need to know I will follow orders. Also I prefer to know beforehand so I can shave before going if i have to... so I am not as sensitive lol)

Anyone have any insights? Any Rabbi's? Recruiters? BMQ instructors? Or person with correct knowledge?

Thanks guys
Abdullah

AbdullahD said:
I am necro posting here, instead of creating a new thread.

I'm not in recruiting so most of if not all of my response is just guessing.

My question is, at which point should I inform the recruiting office about my wish to keep a beard and eat halal? (halal, vegetarian and kosher all work for me).
You could ask recruiting to note it somewhere on your file that you're Muslim (I'm sure it already is) and you want to eat Halal but I don't think recruiting would care too much or even matter when it comes to what food you want and wearing a beard, that's more for your course staff.

When you show up you'll be asked to identify if you have dietary needs and you can tell them then that you want Halal.
[A point on that. I had a student who requested Halal meals which meant he got specially made meals in the field. When he didn't like what was being served for his Halal meal he just had what everyone else was having. That put him in a really bad spot not only with instructors but students as well.]

As far as a beard goes yes you can request permission to grow/have a beard for religious reasons if you don't show up with one already (consent that is from the CF). You can ask to speak with the padre (not doctor) about getting permission.  I'm just guessing here but showing up with a beard without some kind of approval could start you off on the wrong foot (all extra paperwork does, really).  It wouldn't hurt for you to go to your local cleric priest guy and have him write something up about you being a devout Muslim who wears a beard for religious reasons. That way the CF knows you're serious about it and not doing it on a whim. I'll be honest I think there's a good chance you'll come under more scrutiny being a convert so supporting evidence will help.

If their are enough Jewish, Vegetarian or Muslims signing up would they arrange to have us do BMQ together? (extremely long shot and not realistic, I know.
I can't really see that happening, it really goes against what we're trying to achieve with basic training.

Also I watched the basic up series, very informative and I am aware that I will most likely need to shave my beard even if I have an exemption for the gas chamber training. That also as me wondering if they will request me to be clean shaven for bmq and then I could grow it out after?
Good question. I'm not sure what the current policy is for basic training and CBRN exemptions. I'll try and see what I can dig up.

Alternately I'm not sure how attached you are to your beard (har har) but you could consider showing up shaven and then growing your beard out after CBRN/gas hut training or growing your beard after basic training. That could alleviate some of the issues with having a beard. Growing it after passing basic could be symbolic too? I don't know. 

Jarnhamar said:
I'm not in recruiting so most of if not all of my response is just guessing.
You could ask recruiting to note it somewhere on your file that you're Muslim (I'm sure it already is) and you want to eat Halal but I don't think recruiting would care too much or even matter when it comes to what food you want and wearing a beard, that's more for your course staff.

When you show up you'll be asked to identify if you have dietary needs and you can tell them then that you want Halal.
[A point on that. I had a student who requested Halal meals which meant he got specially made meals in the field. When he didn't like what was being served for his Halal meal he just had what everyone else was having. That put him in a really bad spot not only with instructors but students as well.]

Ack, Muslims of convenience. They make us look bad, I am fully prepared to eat whatever is available and halal. If I have to go without on some occasions that is fine, I will not however eat food that is impermissible. (I actually reviewed the vegetarian/kosher etc threads on this forum and realize at certain points in my CF career the only halal food could be potatoes and I am okay with that.)

But it sounds like halal food will already be on site and I just need to request it, with no prior warning eh? That is awesome... these poor cooks likely need a pay raise for dealing with us picky fellows. God bless em all.

As far as a beard goes yes you can request permission to grow/have a beard for religious reasons if you don't show up with one already (consent that is from the CF). You can ask to speak with the padre (not doctor) about getting permission.  I'm just guessing here but showing up with a beard without some kind of approval could start you off on the wrong foot (all extra paperwork does, really).  It wouldn't hurt for you to go to your local cleric priest guy and have him write something up about you being a devout Muslim who wears a beard for religious reasons. That way the CF knows you're serious about it and not doing it on a whim. I'll be honest I think there's a good chance you'll come under more scrutiny being a convert so supporting evidence will help.

See being a Muslim convert, eating halal and keeping a beard I fully expect to be under closer scrutiny potentially. My good friend who served many years in the RAF warned me of this and just told me to work my ass off and earn everything I ask for. He basically said if I get to eat halal food made specially for me, get extra prayer breaks etc, I should also offer to take the tough middle of the night fire watches to help team mates out and pull my own weight etc etc.

I will arrange for one of my friends who is an Imam and scholar to write up the note regarding a beard. I just want to avoid showing up and making things harder for staff.. cause an odd feeling that would single me out more. Hence the questions.

I can't really see that happening, it really goes against what we're trying to achieve with basic training.

Exactly as expected, as it should be too I suppose.

Good question. I'm not sure what the current policy is for basic training and CBRN exemptions. I'll try and see what I can dig up.

Thank you

Alternately I'm not sure how attached you are to your beard (har har) but you could consider showing up shaven and then growing your beard out after CBRN/gas hut training or growing your beard after basic training. That could alleviate some of the issues with having a beard. Growing it after passing basic could be symbolic too? I don't know.

I am fairly attached to it ;) I just dont know if showing up clean shaven, would show that I dont really care about my beard.. because I do. If I have to shave though, I will. If they want me to show up clean shaven up until 'xyz' point in training where I will be allowed to re grow it then that is okay too. If I have to be clean shaven for basic that is fine too.

I am just trying to figure out my best course of action. Thanks for a few answers Jarnhamar, I will get that letter as a starting point. That was solid advice.

Abdullah

You're asking some pretty tough questions but I'll try my best and is probably a repeat of what Jarnhamar has already mentioned.

First off, Food Svcs (ie; Mess Hall/Kitchen) at any location aren't equipped or trained, let alone funded, to be able to provide halal or kosher meals.  So the possibility of being accommodated isn't in your favour.  It has been looked at before but the costs were just too prohibitive and so were the risks.

As far as the beard is concerned, that just might be a choice they allow you to make for yourself.  But be forewarned, the purpose of Basic Military Training, is to teach you to be able to work as a "group/team", not as an "individual" and be able to follow direction.  BMQ/BMOQ and initial occupation training, is not really the time or place to make yourself "stand out" in the crowd.  Every successful applicant to the CAF arrives at Basic Training as an individual but when they leave, they have hopefully gained a sense of team work, belonging and made some life long friends.

If you are successful and do receive an offer of employment, you'll have some difficult decisions to make.  Good luck!    :salute:

PS - Here's some lite reading for you.

http://www.journal.forces.gc.ca/vol15/no1/page34-eng.asp

http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/about-policies-standards-defence-admin-orders-directives-5000/5516-3.page

DAA said:
You're asking some pretty tough questions but I'll try my best and is probably a repeat of what Jarnhamar has already mentioned.

Sometimes the exact same information, repeated differently helps.

First off, Food Svcs (ie; Mess Hall/Kitchen) at any location aren't equipped or trained, let alone funded, to be able to provide halal or kosher meals.  So the possibility of being accommodated isn't in your favour.  It has been looked at before but the costs were just too prohibitive and so were the risks.

Okay, I understand and respect that. I will make do as I can.

As far as the beard is concerned, that just might be a choice they allow you to make for yourself.  But be forewarned, the purpose of Basic Military Training, is to teach you to be able to work as a "group/team", not as an "individual" and be able to follow direction.  BMQ/BMOQ and initial occupation training, is not really the time or place to make yourself "stand out" in the crowd.  Every successful applicant to the CAF arrives at Basic Training as an individual but when they leave, they have hopefully gained a sense of team work, belonging and made some life long friends.

If I should shave for basic, that is not a tough choice for me I just will. The Canadian forces already allows me to keep one, if it is more realistic to shave for training thats fine. There is an established need, that I have found being the gas mask training. But if I dont have to, then I likely wont, have others gone through basic training with a beard? My neck does bend, I know the CF allows me to keep a beard, but I am not so rigid that I can not adapt.

If you are successful and do receive an offer of employment, you'll have some difficult decisions to make.  Good luck!    :salute:

PS - Here's some lite reading for you.

http://www.journal.forces.gc.ca/vol15/no1/page34-eng.asp

http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/about-policies-standards-defence-admin-orders-directives-5000/5516-3.page

Light reading it is, I will have to really read it. From my quick skimming the CF will make 'reasonable' allowances etc..

Any rate, should I fire an email off to the recruiter about this once I have a letter stating it's importance? Should I wait for the interview or BMQ? From what Jarnhamar and you both said, apparently I will be asked my dietary needs at bmq, but if they are not equipped then that is likely to late anyways...

Thinking out loud. The only tough choice for me would be if the CF would not let me have a beard at all and not try at all to offer me food options... but since they do. The rest is easy, it is just about how, get the allowance to have a beard, but shave for bmq and grow it later.. will i be vegetarian and missing a lot of food for a bunch of days or will halal food exist... this is just all small potatoes ;) hell they still need to be silly enough to hire me ;)

Abdullah

Ps my beard is for religious reasons, not medical. So I wonder how much that plays into it regarding bmq too. Since I dont medically 'need' a beard...  ugh, i will read the linked articles then come back to it. Thanks again guys.

[quote author=AbdullahD]I will not however eat food that is impermissible.[/quote]
That's my beef (har har I'm on a roll today) with dietary restrictions. It's great until someone lets the section down because they're not taking in enough calories, on top of the convenience thing you mentioned. That's for another time and place though.

But it sounds like halal food will already be on site and I just need to request it, with no prior warning eh? That is awesome... these poor cooks likely need a pay raise for dealing with us picky fellows. God bless em all.

I'm not that up to snuff on the different religious food requirements and terminologies (I may have been confusing with my answer). As the sagely DAA points out the kitchens aren't trained for the hardcore stuff.  I know Muslims and others can request special meals but I think often they're just vegetarian plates without any meat. I didn't mean to imply the meat was Halal.  I think I've came across Halal ration packs but I don't remember if they're Canadian or American sorry.  I might get a steak for supper and you might get a plate of rice or pasta or veggie lasagna. 

See being a Muslim convert, eating halal and keeping a beard I fully expect to be under closer scrutiny potentially.
//
I get to eat halal food made specially for me, get extra prayer breaks etc, I should also offer to take the tough middle of the night fire watches to help team mates out and pull my own weight etc etc.
It's going to be a challenge because people can sit on army.ca and talk about how wonderful it is supporting someones religious requirements and it never bothered them but when it's cold and wet and people haven't slept and you get a steaming plate of special food or get pulled out of the suck 3x a day to pray people won't be so supportive. Chances are you'll feel even worse about it.

I will arrange for one of my friends who is an Imam and scholar to write up the note regarding a beard. I just want to avoid showing up and making things harder for staff.. cause an odd feeling that would single me out more. Hence the questions.
A little bit of effort on your part might make things at BMQ a lot easier and smoother for sure.

I am just trying to figure out my best course of action.
Duty makes all things simple  ;)

So...I'm interested in joining the army, but want to make sure I know for sure what I'm getting into. Does anyone have first hand experience? (in other words, been through BCT)
Thanks,
Tory

Tory said:
I'm interested in joining the army, but want to make sure I know for sure what I'm getting into.

Milnet.ca
Army
http://milnet.ca/forums/index.php/board,117.0.html

Forces.ca
Life in the Army
If you enjoy helping those in need, in times of conflict or natural disasters, in Canada or around the world, a career in the Army may be for you. At home in Canada, and on deployments overseas, you will defend our country’s sovereignty and values with the highest standards of military excellence. Regular or Reserve Force, a career in the Canadian Army is a unique mix of service and skill, camaraderie and commitment, action and adventure.
http://www.forces.ca/en/page/lifeintheforces-75

As always,  Recruiting is your most trusted source of information.

"BCT"?

Welcome to Army.ca, Tory.

mariomike kindly provided you with a couple of links to get you started. Explore them, and then branch out into some of the other fora on this Site. The stickied threads at the top of each forum and sub-forum are generally good places to start.

Loachman said:

I wonder what that is?

It's not in our acronyms.
http://milnet.ca/wiki/index.php/Canadian_Military_Acronyms#B

But, BCT does come up in a search,
https://www.google.ca/search?q=site%3Aarmy.ca+BCT&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-CA:IE-Address&ie=&oe=&rlz=1I7GGHP_en-GBCA592&gfe_rd=cr&ei=eGVUWMnaKsuC8Qfa-JuADg&gws_rd=ssl#q=site:army.ca+BCT&start=0

Tory, what does BCT mean?

Attachments

• inquiring_minds_logo.png
    inquiring_minds_logo.png
    171.5 KB · Views: 274
It's American I think "Basic Combat Training" of I remember correctly.

I am familiar with the US term "Brigade Combat Team", but had not seen the Canadian term "Basic Classification Training" before.

Back