• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Gender Advisors - NATO, UN "CONOPs" and policy

Eye In The Sky

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score
The GENAD (Gender Advisor) concept/employment is fairly recent to most of us "rank and file" in the CAF; like some mbr's, I initially scoffed at the idea.

Since then, however, I've taken a bit of time to do some free online NATO courses (that have MITE codes), that go into the background, reasoning, operational benefits into gender perspective into planning, trg, ops, CIMIC, etc. I found my initial (uneducated) opinion was pretty far off target to what this is really all about.

If anyone is WFH/interested/looking for some PD for this years PER that is self-registering and no cost to the mbr and unit: https://jadl.act.nato.int/ (registering for an account is pretty straight forward)

The 3 courses I've completed specific to GENAD and GFP (Gender Focal Points; unit-level GENADs) are:

ADL 168 - Role of Gender Advisor
ADL 169 - Improving Operational Effectiveness by Integrating Gender Perspective
ADL 171 - Gender Focal Point

If you're focused, it's a day (max) of online learning; the 'testing' is not overly intense and you're provided with a PDF certificate at the end and these ADLs all have MITE codes. Anyone who is familiar with Analytics in MonMass....go to Courses and search "ADL" and you'll see the list of ADLs that are assigned MITEs.

The best order to complete them are 169, 171 and then 168.

Anyways...thought this might interest some people, help overcome the 'myth' of what GENAD/GEN Perspective is all about and the long history is has in NATO ops.

The GENAD (Gender Advisor) concept/employment is fairly recent to most of us "rank and file" in the CAF; like some mbr's, I initially scoffed at the idea.

Since then, however, I've taken a bit of time to do some free online NATO courses (that have MITE codes), that go into the background, reasoning, operational benefits into gender perspective into planning, trg, ops, CIMIC, etc. I found my initial (uneducated) opinion was pretty far off target to what this is really all about.

If anyone is WFH/interested/looking for some PD for this years PER that is self-registering and no cost to the mbr and unit: https://jadl.act.nato.int/ (registering for an account is pretty straight forward)

The 3 courses I've completed specific to GENAD and GFP (Gender Focal Points; unit-level GENADs) are:

ADL 168 - Role of Gender Advisor
ADL 169 - Improving Operational Effectiveness by Integrating Gender Perspective
ADL 171 - Gender Focal Point

If you're focused, it's a day (max) of online learning; the 'testing' is not overly intense and you're provided with a PDF certificate at the end and these ADLs all have MITE codes. Anyone who is familiar with Analytics in MonMass....go to Courses and search "ADL" and you'll see the list of ADLs that are assigned MITEs.

The best order to complete them are 169, 171 and then 168.

Anyways...thought this might interest some people, help overcome the 'myth' of what GENAD/GEN Perspective is all about and the long history is has in NATO ops.

And if you're really keen on the subject, you might be able to qualify for some interesting civvy jobs too :)

I took these courses and was really surprised at how interesting and relevant they were. They do a much better job at highlighting the importance of GBA+ stuff than the GBA+ course ironically.

The tactical questioning course is really great for anyone who has to speak with others from a position of authority. I recomended it for the PLQ and BMOQ courses.

And if you're really keen on the subject, you might be able to qualify for some interesting civvy jobs too :)
Some of the Snr Officer/Strat or Operational level experienced types might have a shot at stuff like that. I had no idea there was a 'cive market' for these skills...

I took these courses and was really surprised at how interesting and relevant they were. They do a much better job at highlighting the importance of GBA+ stuff than the GBA+ course ironically.

The tactical questioning course is really great for anyone who has to speak with others from a position of authority. I recomended it for the PLQ and BMOQ courses.

Way better than GBA+. I'd say scrap GBA + and just get people to do these.

Is the Tac Questioning an NATO ADL? ADL 364 "Questioning Techniques" by any chance?

(list of current ADLs with MITEs associated with them attached)

Attachments

• ADL MITE Courses Feb 2021.jpg
    ADL MITE Courses Feb 2021.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 17
Unfortunately due to the way the current GBA+ course is being conducted online it does not give a good understanding of GBA+. The CAF should have used these as the basis of our course instead of the generic government course.

Some of the Snr Officer/Strat or Operational level experienced types might have a shot at stuff like that. I had no idea there was a 'cive market' for these skills...

That's where the courses have come from IIRC, mainly UN type jobs of course....

Unfortunately due to the way the current GBA+ course is being conducted online it does not give a good understanding of GBA+. The CAF should have used these as the basis of our course instead of the generic government course.
Yes, and it seems pitched to Graduate level of knowledge. They need a laddered approach, starting at the most basic levels.

People like me might be able to understand more that way :)

Back