• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Gen. Hillier presents an award to Lowell Green (audio)

MarkOttawa

Army.ca Fixture
Inactive
Fallen Comrade
Reaction score
The Chief of Defence Staff pays a surprise visit to CFRA, Ottawa, and gives Lowell a CDS Coin to honour his fifty years in broadcasting.
http://www.cfra.com/chum_audio/Hillier_Lowell.mp3

Mark
Ottawa

A CDS Coin? I didnt know our generals did this! How long has he been handing these out? Anyone got a picture of what they look like?

Oct. 13, 2005:
http://www.pmfrc.org/deployment/story10-15.htm

"At the end of the ceremony, Gen Hillier asked the PRT RSM to break the ranks and he asked all PRT soldiers to move in closer. He then proceeded to award the Chief of the Defence Staff Coin to seven PRT soldiers. With this gesture, he acknowledged the outstanding work they have performed on a daily basis since they have arrived in Kandahar.

The recipients were: Master-Corporal Mike McCoy (1 CMBG HQ); Master-Corporal Daryl Reid (3 PPCLI); Corporal Ron Granados (1 CER); Corporal Lorali Corsiatto (1 Svc Bn); Corporal Charlie Thompson (3 PPCLI); Private Jeff Black (3 PPCLI); and Private Devon Branje (3 PPCLI).

This ceremony was an emotional moment; a moment to remember, particularly for the forty Operation Apollo veterans, currently with the PRT, whom served with the soldier who is now a symbol of inspiration in Kandahar: Private Nathan Smith."

Mark
Ottawa

That's outstanding, Lowell has been a steadfast supporter of the troops for decades  :salute:

Yeah but when did this start? I got 2 from US generals (one from the Force Commander and one from the Allied Chief of Staff) for work I did while on an overseas operation several years ago, but have never heard of our Generals doing this before...

I have a picture of them but no idea how to show them here....

The CDS gave me this coin last week...

CDS_coin_001.jpg

Front view

CDS_coin_002.jpg

Back view

Doug, well done. Very cool.  :salute:

Maybe some of the older dogs can remember a more hands-on CDS than Hillier, but I can't (#4 or 5 now for me? more, maybe). I can't even imagine Boyle giving these out. Are these a "new" thing or a more "remembered" thing that has been resurrected?

IMHO, this a tradition that the CDS has brought back from his time with the U.S. Army.  While on course in Texas, I have been given 4 coins so far and expect to receive at least one more.  The U.S. Army including Honorary Colonels hand them out like pats on the back.

The DGHS has had a coin for several years that she awards to deserving HSS personnel.  Which I believe began after one of her course/visits to Fort Sam Houston.

Centurian1985 said:
Yeah but when did this start? I got 2 from US generals (one from the Force Commander and one from the Allied Chief of Staff) for work I did while on an overseas operation several years ago, but have never heard of our Generals doing this before...

I have a picture of them but no idea how to show them here....

We just started a while ago, I think. The Commander gave out coins on Athena 0. It was the first I'd seen from as high a rank as this. Being close on to the US/ Can border, I have received a number of coins from our US brethren, some from Command and Staff position personnel. I like them, and am humbled by there presentation, but look at them more or less as the souvenirs they are intended to be. They are not a medal or award, they are a 'Hey, well done you" gimme. It's easier than printing out a certificate for you, which takes prior notice. Enjoy what you have, but your only special to the other two hundred guys that got the same coin from the same guy.

The only coin that counts around here is the Army.ca coin. If you ain't got one of those, you ain't shite ;D

When I asked the US guys about what the coins meant, they said pretty much the same thing, but with a different variation. 

When the coins were first handed out they were used to recognize indivudial hard work and exceptional performance without the need for elaborate paperwork. However, so many Generals were handing them out for 'atta boys' and lower level recognition that the value of its award got demeaned to the point where they were no longer considered an award.  It soon became more important about WHO was handing them out, as some were more generous in their distribution than others, i.e. some were still handing them out as actual 'awards' while others were treating them as souvenir pieces.   

The CLS also has coins and gives them out all the time. i dont know how long they have been around but I will ask. I will pull one out and get some pictures.

We won't even get into Op Archer Roto 0 NSE coins    ::)

One was handed out for "Customer service"...."Small projects"...."Picture taking"

'nuff said.

Regards

C&P Crusader said:
We won't even get into Op Archer Roto 0 NSE coins    ::)

One was handed out for "Customer service"...."Small projects"...."Picture taking"

'nuff said.

Regards

On Athena 0 a guy got a Commander's Commendation for organizing a BBQ
laugh.gif

One of our mechs at the ice storms got a Commanders Commendation for keeping the generators running.  We reverently referred to it as "doing his job" but apparently it's much tougher than it looks.

Recce guy, are you shitting me  ???

That really pisses me off... why not hand out a Silver Star for cleaning out piss tubes?

Back