• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

GBAD - The return of 'FOBS'

I'm surprised that no one has ever suggested this before.....

Park a ship at a city dock. Well I never did.

Britain 'exposed' to Russian missile attacks​

Former commander warns only way to protect London from hypersonic or ballistic attack would be to station a Type 45 destroyer in the Thames

ByDanielle Sheridan, DEFENCE EDITOR29 October 2022 • 6:00am

Britain needs air defences in the wake of the Ukraine invasion because it is almost “entirely exposed” to attacks by long-range Russian missiles, a former Air Marshal has warned.
Edward Stringer, former commander of the UK's Defence Academy, warned the military was limited with what it could do without a long-range air-defence system and that the only way to protect London from a hypersonic or ballistic attack would be to station a Type 45 destroyer in the Thames, stocked with Sea Viper missiles.
Air Marshal Stringer cautioned that Russia’s invasion of Ukraine had reminded the West that “nuclear weapons did not disappear at the end of the Cold War, and that nuclear powers do not just hold these weapons as an act of deterrence”.
“They are willing to consider using them in acts of aggression and coercion,” he said in a paper for the Police Exchange think tank.
“This requires us to rethink our approach to nuclear weapons and we must consider our response accordingly.”

He added: “UK Defence has much to learn from the Ukraine War, and the manner in which a country with a defence budget one tenth of our own constructed a defence that held off the army of an assumed superpower.”
Air Marshal Stringer said that if, as argued, Russia emerged diminished from its war on Ukraine “then we should recalculate our part in supporting Nato to deter further Russian aggression”.
“This should result in costed war plans and adequate weapons stockpiles,” he said.
“An independent review of the lessons learned should be carried out to prevent selective interpretation by interested parties within UK Defence.”
He also said that in light of the war in Ukraine the Government should consider implementing “a war cabinet”, which could signal the gravity of the circumstances.
“As with all emergency surgery, state intervention must address the immediate threat but should also minimise any long-term harm to the patient,” he said.

Why park a multi-billion dollar ship at a dock when you can just have containerized versions of the same missiles on trucks with an onshore radar?

Why park a multi-billion dollar ship at a dock when you can just have containerized versions of the same missiles on trucks with an onshore radar?

Because they don't have containerized missile systems but they do have a few multi-billion dollar ships?

The correspondent is arguing for GBAD as an alternative that has been overlooked.

View attachment 73558

Truck mounted SM6 missiles in Europe - SAM or SSM?

How many of them to supply a credible ABM shield for Canada?

Further to....

Same container - launches an SM6 from an unmanned Offshore Support Vessel during RIMPAC

I believe that’s the idea behind the USN station in Rota, Spain.

4 ships forward deployed, 2 of them being BMD ships.

Obviously ships aren’t meant to stay in harbour indefinitely, and those ships are available to reinforce allied naval forces rapidly either north or south of continental Europe.

However by having the 2 BMD ships forward deployed there, they play a critical part of the BMD ‘umbrella’ over a Europe.

New Czech companion piece to the Vampire to counter Shahed drones

Czech initiative a few hours ago started to fundraise money for czech Viktor Anti Air vehicles for Ukraine, which were specialy designed to fight iranian Shahed-136 drones. Viktor have new czech day/night optics and larger magazines. There is need for 90 mil. CZK (3,7 mil. Eur) for 15 vehicles.

1668179489526.png

Vampire

1668179598725.png

And a multi-purpose warhead for the 70mm APKWS.

1668197589940.png

Previously I have suggested there is overlap between protecting civil airfields in peacetime and military establishments in wartime.

Rheinmetall continues to push the offer.

When the ship turns on its Air Search Radar it blacks out the city. Two birds with one stone, one bird is air defence, second one the city blacks out to prevent them from seeing white light. :rolleyes:

And here's a late Christmas present for @Kirkhill from the folks at The War Zone:

Patriot Missiles Paired With Naval Vertical Launchers Pitched By Lockheed

Firing PAC-3 MSE missiles from the Mk 41 Vertical Launch system opens up new opportunities at sea and on land.

Ooooh, Goodie!

jklxlfkkq5t91.jpg

Rolling up to a field or a ship near you!

The Mk 41 is capable of firing the following missiles:[3][2]

+ Patriot
+CAMM/CAMM-ER

Your LRPF/GBAD solution - National Defence. - Now we just need an upgrade on the RUM-139 VL-ASROC -

Same containers for launching Kratos Drones and MLRS pods.

If Canada goes with CAMM/CAMM-ER for the CSC, I hope we have the sense to go with the a NASAMS with CAMM/CAMM-ER, rather than having the CA decide on an orphan missile for GBAD.

That would be breaking with decades of tradition, in favour of logical and practical military planning.

Might as well have the RRCA start singing "Heart of Oak" 😮

That would be breaking with decades of tradition, in favour of logical and practical military planning.

Might as well have the RRCA start singing "Heart of Oak" 😮
It's a catchy tune, we even seem to have converted one gunner already...

Back