• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

G8/G20 June 2010 Protest Watch

Oh Zipperhead-

My reports are the same as every cops. Every time things go slightly sideways the amount of notebook paper used increases exponentially. You can almost guess what level of force was required by the sheer volume of notebook consumed by the higher levels.

I guess for me 48th- the Charter is a nice document that could use some additions. Its here now- to get rid of it would look a little strange.

For myself the Charter is all about probabilities. I believe that I have a higher likelihood of being victimized by some.....undesirable rather than the Canadian government. (bizarre firearms laws aside- for the moment thats a strange minefield indeed) So I'd rather have an empowered legal system to deal with it. Of course thats a very cop like view.

Having worked in the federal government long enough now that I have realized the lack of direction in the public service keeps me safe from even the most zealous federal employees and I've turned my attention elsewhere. Inefficient Canadian bureaucracy keeps me safer than the Charter. I think that the promise not to interfere with my life too much is nice- but there are some people that need some interference.

Another example of just plain good application of the charter-

A school contacted the police because of a drug problem. Drug dogs walk through the school and sniff out a backpack that has drugs in it. Now, feelings on drug dogs in schools aside, the supreme court of Canada said that a dog smelling the air, finding trace particles of a controlled substance and following the cone to the backpack amounted to searching inside the backpack.

They insist that the use of a dog amounts to an officer physically looking into the backpack.

I hope everyone here realizes how foolish it is to associate that when a backpack emanates an odor it does so by a shedding particles that our or the dogs olfactory senses register. We are sensing an actual "something" that has been shed. The dog follows the scent cone to the backpack. In essence the owner of the backpack has left things behind that we can physically detect.

As an extreme hypothetical- say the backpack had a head in it. There was blood down the hallway where the individual had walked leading to the backpack. Had that blood come from inside the backpack, where it was placed with an expectation of privacy, do those blood trails also have an expectation of privacy since I am now looking at the contents of the backpack?

If a canine officer is on his way to a call and while walking by someone the dog "hits" and indicates that there is drugs on an individual, who just happens to be in the wrong place at the wrong time, that in spirit of this decision amounts to the officer as having searched that man.

Now remove the dog. I've got a backpack full of dope and a cop wanders by me. The cop can smell the overpowering stench of stupidity and marihuana. By the same process as "using a dog" I've now been searched contrary to the Charter (according to this decision). Of course the supreme court hasn't said so yet but it is a foolish road to have started to go down that suggests that the small amounts of things you leave behind, if you expected it to be private, has an expectation of remaining so even when you’ve left them hanging in the open.

I can search someone garbage- good to go. They've thrown it away. I can seize "cast-off DNA samples"- check. But the chemicals emanating from their property (which are left behind in public spaces) have an expectation of privacy?

That is the Charter (or the interpretation thereof) at work. An operational reality in the hands of opining justices becomes this bizarre and utterly unscientific mosh of however they felt that day.

I have respect for the supreme court- they make many good calls, and there is always a dissenting opinion that is usually close to how I feel. But it seems that the ambiguous nature, and ever evolving interpretation, of the charter makes for some bizarre calls every once and a while.

As for police dogs in schools. Im not sure how I feel about it. Its not a pleasant image for school relations- but at the same time drug dealers in schools are complete scum. Its more about implementation than the search itself I have issues with I suppose.

the 48th regulator said:
My Crusade....

Recceguy,  as noble as it is to support your friend, don't guide this towards a lock.

You stated one situation which was excluded, then you gave the section (Section Eight) which explains the right to protection of private property (property rights).  Compensation can be achieved by use of Section Eight.

Your example, I say again, is moot.  I you want to enter the debate, fair enough, however based on what I asked you before; is the Charter  a failed social experiment foisted on Canada,  a charter that can have additions made, or a charter that is good as is?

Returning with  back handed comment about "My Crusade" dds absolutely nothing.  You were the one that decided to jump in with your statement of property seizure, firearms and what not, then proceed to give us the charter that protects you, and offers avenue of compensation.

Let's focus on a good debate, and not get into razor edged comments.

dileas

tess

Sorry Tess. It's useless trying to debate this with you. Our minds are made up. To each his own I guess. :salute:

2 more G20 arrests made in Toronto

TORONTO — Toronto police have arrested two more people on their "Most Wanted" list in connection with the massive G20 protests that wreaked havoc on parts of the city in June.

Two Toronto men — Cody Caplette, 21, and Philip Lee, 28 — were arrested Thursday.

Both men are accused of damaging a police vehicle during the melee on June 26, resulting in a charge of mischief over $5,000, while Lee is also suspected of stealing police equipment and assaulting another individual at the site.

Lee faces numerous theft charges and is accused of possession of property obtained by criminal activity, including one charge of possession over $5,000. He also is charged with threatening damage and assault.

Read more: Link
                (Reproduced under the Fair Dealings provisions of the Copyright Act)

Toronto Police Service releases

http://www.torontopolice.on.ca/newsreleases/pdfs/19290.pdf

http://www.torontopolice.on.ca/newsreleases/pdfs/19288.pdf

http://www.torontopolice.on.ca/newsreleases/pdfs/19273.pdf

and YouTube video of suspects
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5sk6baBIjw

16 July, 2010.
Globe and Mail: Editorial:
"Review G8/G20 spending and site selection":
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/opinions/editorials/review-g8g20-spending-and-site-selection/article1641666/

The G20 prior to Toronto was held in Pittsburgh last September. 110 people were arrested:
May 19, 2010:
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette:
"ACLU plans to sue city over arrests during G-20 summit:
The American Civil Liberties Union announced Tuesday that it is preparing a suit against the city on behalf of some of those arrested during the "Oakland sweeps," ( an area in Pittsburgh-mm ) the night following the close of the G-20 summit in which riot police descended on hundreds of students, protesters and passers-by who had assembled in Schenley Plaza.":
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10139/1059137-84.stm

17 July, 2010:
Globe and Mail:
"G20 protest starts with a ‘bubble-in’: Internet video, ‘Officer Bubbles’, inspires demonstrators":
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/toronto/g20-protest-starts-with-a-bubble-in/article1643632/

Police arrested five more people suspected of G20 vandalism today, bringing the total number of post-G20 arrests to 10.

The suspected vandals are mostly Toronto men in their teens and twenties. One suspect’s name cannot be released under the Youth Criminal Justice Act, and another is listed as having no fixed address.

On Monday, police picked up Michael Corbett, 29, Bryan O’Handley, 19, Jeffrey Delaney, 23, Robert Kainola, 24, and the young offender.

On Sunday, police charged two others: 22-year-old Roarco and 23-year-old Andrew Loughrin.

All seven are being charged with mischief. Mr. Roarco is also charged with breaking probation and arson in connection with torching a police cruiser, and Mr. Delaney received an additional charge for attempted theft ....

http://news.nationalpost.com/2010/07/19/g20-police-make-more-arrests-related-to-protests/

I haven't noticed any women on these lists yet, and looking at the Black Bloc vandalism, close to 50% of those black clad people were obviously women.

George Wallace said:
I haven't noticed any women on these lists yet, and looking at the Black Bloc vandalism, close to 50% of those black clad people were obviously women.

Yeah........They shouldn't have too much trouble tracking down that fat one trying to hide
              herself clad in black  ;D

Solidarity (not so) forever, according to one activist writer:
I reported yesterday on the Civil Liberties rally in Toronto, attended by 300 (a generous estimate at Queen's Park).

Don't get me wrong, it was fun to stick it Officer Bubbles...I would be lying to you, though, if I didn't mention the small numbers at this civil liberties event compared to the rally last Saturday which filled out to a respectable 2,500 people.

While 300 people is nothing to shake a stick at, I was left wondering: What happened? The July 17, 2010, rally felt like a deflated balloon. For the long haul (since when changing the world, you're have to be in it for the long haul), do only 300 people in Toronto care that we had our civil liberties violated last month? Sure, activists who were charged have conditions that prevent them from attending demonstrations, but where was everyone else? I know this city has activists, I've seen them! ....

Some links to labour organization statements bashing (a bit, anyway) those who damaged property are in the article as well:
http://www.canadianlabour.ca/national/news/statement-ken-georgetti-president-canadian-labour-congress-vandalism-surrounding-toron
http://www.cupe.on.ca/doc.php?document_id=1168&lang=en

as well as this tidbit from another propagandist activist writer bashing the unions for not going on strike or doing more:
.... In expressing fidelity to the "rule of law" what is really being affirmed is fidelity to the state and to the bosses. Any union that expresses fidelity to the rule of law is not worthy of the name ....

- edited to add link to first ref -

57Chevy said:
Yeah........They shouldn't have too much trouble tracking down that fat one trying to hide
              herself clad in black  ;D

Just check the bars in Pet......................

This from the Canadian Press:
A man facing explosives and weapons charges as part of a G20 security investigation has been denied bail.

Byron Sonne was arrested June 22 and accused of possessing dangerous weapons and explosives for an unlawful purpose, among other charges.

Sonne's wife, Kristen Peterson, was also arrested but later released on bail with the condition she have no contact with her husband and live with her parents.

The 37-year-old Sonne also stands accused of mischief, attempted mischief and intimidating a justice system participant ....

George Wallace said:
Some in attached "Have you seen these thugs?" shots from TPS.

Picture #21 in attached photos by milnews looks like a kid.  A shame if he's ruined his life so early on.

I guess "active" anarchy is a young person's game....

Caught up with a female type anarchist here

Toronto police say they are looking for a woman that they say caused thousands of dollars worth of damage during an anti-G20 protest on June 26.

At a Wednesday afternoon news conference, police also released 21 more pictures of people suspected of violence and vandalism during the protests.

Det.-Sgt. Gary Giroux of the police's G20 investigative team asked the public for help in identifying those people.

Giroux singled out one woman who he said "was responsible for a tremendous amount of damage in the downtown core."

Police are looking for Kelly Pflug-Back, 21, who is facing six counts of mischief over $5,000. If convicted, Pflug-Back could face "a substantial jail sentence," Giroux said. She is accused of being a "facilitator" who gave directions to other people to cause damage.

Police believe she was involved in an attack on a police cruiser on June 26, as well as attacks on several retail businesses.

Giroux urged Pflug-Back, of Norwood, Ont., to turn herself in.

The new photos come a week after police released what they called a top 10 most wanted list of those suspected of criminal activity during the summit.
article continues
Read more: LINK
          (Reproduced under the Fair Dealings provisions of the Copyright Act)

She still has outstanding charges of assault against her from way back when some jerkoff knocked over the Olympic torchbearer in Guelph before the Games.

Reproduced under the Fair Dealings provisions of the Copyright Act.

Accused 'facilitator' in G20 violence arrested
21/07/2010 8:15:52 PM
CBC News

LINK

A woman who Toronto police believe caused thousands of dollars' worth of damage during an anti-G20 protest on June 26 has turned herself in.

At a Wednesday afternoon news conference, police released 21 more pictures of people suspected of violence and vandalism during the protests.

Det.-Sgt. Gary Giroux of the police service's G20 investigative team asked the public for help in identifying those people.

Giroux singled out one woman who, he alleged, "was responsible for a tremendous amount of damage in the downtown core."

Kelly Pflug-Back, 21, is facing six counts of mischief over $5,000. If convicted, she could face "a substantial jail sentence," Giroux said.

On Wednesday afternoon, Pflug-Black of Norwood, Ont., turned herself in to police in Peterborough.

Accused in attacks

She is accused of being a "facilitator" who gave directions to other people to cause damage.

Police believe she was involved in an attack on a police cruiser on June 26, as well as attacks on several retail businesses.

The new photos come a week after police released what they called a top 10 "most wanted" list of those suspected of criminal activity during the summit.

Since then, police have arrested 10 people in connection with the violence that erupted during the summit, primarily on June 26. They face a total of 21 charges, most of them for mischief over $5,000.

Nearly 1,000 people were detained before and during the G20 as part of the largest peacetime mass arrest in Canadian history.

July 23, 2010
National Post:
"5th probe of police launched":
http://www.nationalpost.com/probe+police+launched/3311800/story.html

Back