• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

FWSAR (CC130H, Buffalo, C27J, V22): Status & Possibilities

You forgot.... just like boots, the only testing required was could it be procured from Québec 😁
We can't even use that line as an excuse - the aircraft is Spanish

New Girl Facepalm GIF by HULU

I have heard elsewhere that one of the Kingfishers issues is the dummies they toss out to imitate a SAR tech jumping keeps hitting the tail? If true, one would have thought that they would have tested that during the trials. I just wish the Spartan was being supported by Airbus. My gut feeling in all of this is wrong airframe and right company.
I’m not fully up to speed on this issue but I believe it’s solved, I know there was some successful static line testing at various speeds but I don’t know what the fix was or whether it resolved the issues completely. FWIW an old FE told me the herc does this too.

The issue isn’t when jumping per se but when a static line parachutist becomes hung up.

Ahh. Tracking now. It’s been 30 years since I learned that stuff. I don’t even remember the procedure from ramp or door now.

“BPT deploy your reserve if you can’t be retrieved” rings a bell…harder to do if you’ve been windmilling of a fuselage at XXX KIAS.

The issue isn’t when jumping per se but when a static line parachutist becomes hung up.
You shouldn’t hit the tail on a Herc when hung up. Bounced on the airframe if a door exit - yes, but even on a ramp the A/C would need to actively try to dive you into the tail.

All the more reason to be nice to the aircrew at the pre-invasion piss up the night before ;)
Don’t piss in their helmet bags (or steal them).

When flying to the USMC Mountain Warfare Training Center, in Bridgeport California (we landed in Reno) as a 1 in 5 passenger on a Herc from Calgary, I went out of the way prior to chat to the crew. Before the flight, they even explained their CBU and what foods worked best so we didn’t need to suffer through a CAF soggy box lunch. They also let us take turns flying on the way down.

Interestingly enough we had a good laugh about why they’d often crank the heat during arctic jumps to make us popciles once we jumped - and we found the whole vicious circle of pissing in the helmet bags was counter productive to all.

You shouldn’t hit the tail on a Herc when hung up. Bounced on the airframe if a door exit - yes, but even on a ramp the A/C would need to actively try to dive you into the tail.
I am talking about the CC295. We have other issues with our Hercs and paratroopers but that’s unrelated.

I
I am talking about the CC295. We have other issues with our Hercs and paratroopers but that’s unrelated.

I recall my issues in detail; twisted risers on exit, a gully, coming in for a left front that turned into a “rear” immediately before landing and hitting something very hard called “Buzton”.

Worth about $380/month tax free for life! 🤙🏻

The first 6 or so pages of this thread are a good read!

I

I recall my issues in detail; twisted risers on exit, a gully, coming in for a left front that turned into a “rear” immediately before landing and hitting something very hard called “Buzton”.

Worth about $380/month tax free for life! 🤙🏻

The first 6 or so pages of this thread are a good read!

Holy. Crap.

DZ Buxton was really good at flattening out my helmet on one side during a winter jump. I think landing on an ice rink would have been safer ;)

Holy. Crap.

DZ Buxton was really good at flattening out my helmet on one side during a winter jump. I think landing on an ice rink would have been safer ;)
I sprained both ankles on my second jump there. Since I was in no mood to re-do J stage, I tied my combat boots as tight as I could and hobbled off the DZ. Luckily, we got stop dropped for a blizzard the next day which gave me time rest up and it considerably softened the DZ after that…

This is probably my favourite quote (from January 2005)
In fairness *to aesop081, he hadn’t experienced the depth of Canada’s procurement ineptitude at that point, just operationally experienced. He since learned more…and is now out and happily AESOPing where the Sun always shines and snow is something that happens thousands of kilometers further North. 🏝

Last edited:
In fairness you aesop081, he hadn’t experienced the depth of Canada’s procurement ineptitude at that point, just operationally experienced. He since learned more…and is now out and happily AESOPing where the Sun always shines and snow is something that happens thousands of kilometers further North. 🏝
Ah yes....I remember fondly the days of my youth when I had hope and faith!

This is probably my favourite quote (from January 2005)
Yeah, but remember that Airbus filed a lawsuit when they lost. They won, then Leonardo was going to file a lawsuit, then it was dropped.

In fairness *to aesop081, he hadn’t experienced the depth of Canada’s procurement ineptitude at that point, just operationally experienced. He since learned more…and is now out and happily AESOPing TACing where the Sun always shines and snow is something that happens thousands of kilometers further North. 🏝

Yup and he won’t be getting any sympathy cards from me! 😁

Back