• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

FWSAR (CC130H, Buffalo, C27J, V22): Status & Possibilities

Are we using modern versions of the Carl G, or still the same ones we purchased in the 70’s??  (Then we should get this thread back on track, sorry - always wondered about this!)

CBH99 said:
Are we using modern versions of the Carl G, or still the same ones we purchased in the 70’s??  (Then we should get this thread back on track, sorry - always wondered about this!)

We use both the M2 and the M3 version of the Carl G, with the M2 being the main stay of the fleet. That said Ive heard procurement of the M4 is coming down the pipe but I do not know details.

Getting a paint job

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bT3Ucb1b-j4&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR3MjSmxQabTcO2QtlqwQbvCfpUQtZDyVeFKSpupEvGJcpbGKT7ESdyFbD4

It does.

trade-off for the lower mounted radome....360'ish ability (great for Sfc Search etc)...limits Wx RADAR though.

But...ya nice looking paint on her!

Wx RADAR is in nose radome.  Only really care about the weather in front of us.  The Synthetic Aperature RADAR also has a Wx mode for all the other quads.

Very sharp looking in yellow - happy to see 501 ready to go.  517 will be here in January - looking forward to crawling all over her.

Ditch said:
Wx RADAR is in nose radome.  Only really care about the weather in front of us.  The Synthetic Aperature RADAR also has a Wx mode for all the other quads.

Oh.  Nice!  The best of both worlds...I heard a few rumours about the bells/whistles like A-Scan filtering...sounds like some nice kit.

Truth to the rumour that ZX will see this platform before 8 Wg?

I thought I read somewhere that this new bird has a better radar and EO/IR than the Aurora.

If that is true or not, doesn’t matter, I’m just happy to see another new piece of kit. 

Exciting times for the FWSAR community.

I thought the initial plan was 19 Wing, followed by 14 Wing, then 8 Wing with 17 Wing being last.

Dolphin_Hunter said:
I thought I read somewhere that this new bird has a better radar and EO/IR than the Aurora.

I'm finding out that "newer" doesn't always = "better"...

CF_Pilot said:
Is there a Buffalo “retirement party” planned?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If sustainment costs aren't crazy I would hope they keep it as a training aircraft. Either for pilot training or technical training

MilEME09 said:
If sustainment costs aren't crazy I would hope they keep it as a training aircraft. Either for pilot training or technical training

No.  We have training platforms already.  We don't need more that are different.

The CAF need to stop being hoarders, keeping everything.

The Buffalo will be retired/removed from RCAF inventory by 2021.  Some museums will receive a few for display, the others will be disposed of through standard practices.

The Sea King had a retirement gala last year, I imagine we should start planning something similar for the Buffalo. 

Ditch said:
The Buffalo will be retired/removed from RCAF inventory by 2021.  Some museums will receive a few for display, the others will be disposed of through standard practices.

The Sea King had a retirement gala last year, I imagine we should start planning something similar for the Buffalo.

Some (one?) Of the Sea Kings went to Borden for a training aid, which is appropriate.

That should be the closest a 40 year old airplane comes to being used for training.

Ditch said:

If you do, plan for it to be held in a football stadium.... and then land everyone there for the party in Buffaloes :)

Things like 'useful/accurate' AOIs (Aircraft Operating Instructions) etc are extremely valuable and important.  No iron in this particular fire, but I say "wait it out".

Back