• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

FWSAR (CC130H, Buffalo, C27J, V22): Status & Possibilities

There's talk the crew compliment might be up for discussion...I've heard a few things thru my trade CofC that the Div Comd wants sensor operators to operate sensors.  AES Ops on the crew might be on the table again.  :dunno:

Eye In The Sky said:
There's talk the crew compliment might be up for discussion...I've heard a few things thru my trade CofC that the Div Comd wants sensor operators to operate sensors.  AES Ops on the crew might be on the table again.  :dunno:

Logical, but your trade is in no position, currently, to actually fill those seats....

Are there any technical trades, or for that matter any trades, currently capable of meeting establishment?

Chris Pook said:
Are there any technical trades, or for that matter any trades, currently capable of meeting establishment?

If you have DWAN access you can consult the monthly PARRA report.

YOu'd also be advised t oseek out a copy of the CAF Establishment Study from a few years ago on that question.

No DWAN, not even padawan.

I shall have to satisfy myself with ancient history.  Thanks  ;)

I've read that the Airbus will be designated the CC-295, but what is it being named?  Airbus calls the MPA variant the Persuader.  That's the only name I've ever come across for any variant.

First C295 rollout video

Article Link - Building Canada's first C295

Canada’s dedicated search and rescue (SAR) crews regularly put their lives on the line, relying on aircraft to overcome the significant challenges presented by dangerous weather and terrain.

The requirements for Canadian SAR aircraft have been well-documented – from demanding mountain contour search, Arctic and North Atlantic storms, to extreme temperatures, icing and precipitation. Airbus’ C295, which has been selected for the country’s Fixed-Wing Search and Rescue Program, is perfectly suited to these duties.

Canada’s no. 1 C295 is proceeding through its final assembly process, and once all assembly phases are finished – including painting and tests – the milestone aircraft will be inspected by authorities from the Spanish Ministry of Defence (DGAM), with its delivery scheduled for the end of 2019.

* Additional videos in the article;  the 3rd one (Consoles for the management of mission systems and sensors) shows how much headroom etc there is in the tube.

Mountie said:
I've read that the Airbus will be designated the CC-295, but what is it being named?  Airbus calls the MPA variant the Persuader.  That's the only name I've ever come across for any variant.

Most likely, it'll be CC-195 since there are still loads of 100-series type numbers available to be used.  As for name, I haven't seen anything.

Perhaps they’ll re-use the ‘Chimo’ they tried earlier with the original EH-101 NSH?

Oh, yeah.  That would be perfect.  It's in Inuktitut, thus gets around the English/French language requirement.

Fred Herriot said:
Oh, yeah.  That would be perfect.  It's in Inuktitut, thus gets around the English/French language requirement.

Yes, of course: Hornet, Buffalo, Twin Otter, Challenger, Globemaster, Tutor, Hawk, Jet Ranger. Yep! The RCAF really pays attention to linguistic balance.  ;)

Eye In The Sky said:
First C295 rollout video

Article Link - Building Canada's first C295

Canada’s dedicated search and rescue (SAR) crews regularly put their lives on the line, relying on aircraft to overcome the significant challenges presented by dangerous weather and terrain.

The requirements for Canadian SAR aircraft have been well-documented – from demanding mountain contour search, Arctic and North Atlantic storms, to extreme temperatures, icing and precipitation. Airbus’ C295, which has been selected for the country’s Fixed-Wing Search and Rescue Program, is perfectly suited to these duties.

Canada’s no. 1 C295 is proceeding through its final assembly process, and once all assembly phases are finished – including painting and tests – the milestone aircraft will be inspected by authorities from the Spanish Ministry of Defence (DGAM), with its delivery scheduled for the end of 2019.

* Additional videos in the article;  the 3rd one (Consoles for the management of mission systems and sensors) shows how much headroom etc there is in the tube.

And a CAF article about it days later:

First CC-295 rolls off assembly line

WssEZcJ.jpg

May 3, 2019 – On March 8, 2019, the first of our 16 new CC-295 fixed-wing search and rescue aircraft rolled off the assembly line in Spain, bringing us one step closer to first delivery.

This aircraft is the first of 16 to be built following a contract award in December 2016 to Airbus Defence and Space. The CC-295, as it has been designated by the Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF), will replace the Buffalo and H-model Hercules fleets in the fixed-wing search and rescue role.

The RCAF will operate the new fleet from 19 Wing Comox, 17 Wing Winnipeg, 8 Wing Trenton, and 14 Wing Greenwood. A training centre for CC-295 aircrew and maintainers is also being built at 19 Wing Comox.

The first aircraft is on track to be accepted by Canada in Spain in late 2019, and to be flying in Canadian skies in the spring of 2020.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=476923343048052

https://ml-fd.caf-fac.ca/en/2019/05/28211

The first C-295 that will eventually end up in Canada flew for the first time yesterday:

https://twitter.com/Rotorfocus/status/1147141664638668802

Colin P said:
Short SAR Techs needed....

From 2 years ago.  Really shows how tight things are inside...https://army.ca/forums/threads/23889/post-1480492.html#msg1480492

IMO the RAAF got it right, and we didn't.  Same situation with fighters and MPAs.

Eye In The Sky said:
From 2 years ago.  Really shows how tight things are inside...https://army.ca/forums/threads/23889/post-1480492.html#msg1480492

IMO the RAAF got it right, and we didn't.  Same situation with fighters and MPAs.

Watching suit guy walk through the cabin with his head lowered so he doesn't hit it makes me cringe.

Back