• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

FWSAR (CC130H, Buffalo, C27J, V22): Status & Possibilities

kev994 said:
Turning radius is a direct measure of airspeed, so very little data is required. C-130 manoeuvres at 20 kts above power off stall speed for 45 degrees bank, or roughly 130-140 kias for example.

To be pedantic, turning radius is actually proportional to the square of the airspeed (faster = exponentially larger radius).

It is also inversely proportional to the tangent of the bank angle (greater bank, tighter circle).

radius =  velocity2 / gravity x tan(bank angle)

So aircraft B flying 10% faster than aircraft A, but with the same bank angle, will have a 21% larger turn radius.

I, for one, have a big problem with the Embraer KC-390, and it has nothing to do with the airplane itself or the fact that we don't make anything in that category of airplane ourselves, but why would the Government of Canada want to financially help the only direct competitor of Canada's sole and largest aircraft manufacturer?

I would hope we would not even entertain the idea of acquiring such aircraft (besides, it is a little bigger than a Herc. so if you want bigger, why not just go for an A-400?)

Oldgateboatdriver said:
I, for one, have a big problem with the Embraer KC-390, and it has nothing to do with the airplane itself or the fact that we don't make anything in that category of airplane ourselves, but why would the Government of Canada want to financially help the only direct competitor of Canada's sole and largest aircraft manufacturer?

I would hope we would not even entertain the idea of acquiring such aircraft (besides, it is a little bigger than a Herc. so if you want bigger, why not just go for an A-400?)

Probably for the same reason that the Government supported Air Canada purchasing a large portion of its short-medium range small jet fleet from Embraer (EJ170s & EJ190s) to ease the high tensions that had formed between Embraer and Bombardier in the late-90s and early-2000s?

YZT580 said:
One of the issues concerning SAR aircraft has always been manoeuverability. 
Is this something that the SOR addresses?  We're not looking for 1960's style SAR - yanking and banking while searching with the Mark-One eyeball is not the intent.  Good Ol' R2D2 will be peering down those hard-to-reach valleys with its electro-optical eyeball, while the platform safely flies overhead.  Mountain SAR is mostly done by Cormorant - the old Buff sits nice and pretty on the ramp at QQ.

Ditch said:
Is this something that the SOR addresses?  We're not looking for 1960's style SAR - yanking and banking while searching with the Mark-One eyeball is not the intent.  Good Ol' R2D2 will be peering down those hard-to-reach valleys with its electro-optical eyeball, while the platform safely flies overhead.  Mountain SAR is mostly done by Cormorant - the old Buff sits nice and pretty on the ramp at QQ.
Manoeuvrability of that calibre required to place parachutists in those same valleys?

Not to long ago i saw the buff and Cormorant working together in Howe Sound on a search, low and do a grid search.

Used RAF C130J's?
RAF to retire 10 of 24 C130J's, some websites indicate 10 short C130J's will go leaving 14 stretched models in service.
Would CAF be interested in 10 used Herc's for FWSAR program?

So.......based on past purchases, flying them home .....

2 will start on fire

6 of 8 will have to be reconditioned.....

hope the price is good.......

We can hope all we want but I suspect the operating costs, when compared with a twin, will still make a herc too expensive, even if the acquisition cost is substantially reduced.

Recondition at SPAR aerospace, some could be plumbed as tankers to replace KC130H's.
Reduce fleet types to C130Js & C17s.
Delivery almost immediate.

BTW Boeing still has one unsold C17 CAF should snap it up ASAP, must be money somewhere with all delays to other programs.

ringo said:
BTW Boeing still has one unsold C17 CAF should snap it up ASAP, must be money somewhere with all delays to other programs.

Haven't you heard? They're throwing money at the Navy, no one else gets any. The $500m for that white tail just got spent on a climate change slush fund for third world dictators.

And $$$ spent on refugees when they should be spending on Army Navy & Air Force, looks likes same old same old for CAF last on the list.

ringo said:
And $$$ spent on refugees when they should be spending on Army Navy & Air Force, looks likes same old same old for CAF last on the list.

Well star wars comes out in a few weeks, its the 70's all over again

ringo said:
Recondition at SPAR aerospace, some could be plumbed as tankers to replace KC130H's.
Reduce fleet types to C130Js & C17s.
Delivery almost immediate.

Tell them the RCAF needs it to fly refugees to Canada and DART to countries impacted by climate change.

That is actually a great idea.  If Trudeau was serious about the forms of assistance he is willing to provide the one piece of kit we will need is additional transport and providing global assistance is the only way to convince the latte crowd.

MilEME09 said:
Well star wars comes out in a few weeks, its the 70's all over again

Is Soul Train coming back?  Please tell me Soul Train is coming back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXbP4JBf8To

Dimsum said:
Is Soul Train coming back?  Please tell me Soul Train is coming back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXbP4JBf8To

Much preferred the 80s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQuZpp3G6ck

Back