• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Full Dress in Highland Regiments - coatees and insignia

Michael Dorosh

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
I was just informed that when the new rank system came into play after Unification, that Highland Regiments as a whole asked for - and received - dispensation to wear the old ranking system on full dress uniforms - both pipe band doublets and also the coatees.  The ranking system was thus

Trained Private - no insignia
Corporal - 1-bar chevron
Master Corporal - 2-bar chevron
Sergeant  3-bar chevron, no maple leaf

Officers - Crowns and Stars of the Order of the Garter on plaited shoulder cords (not bars)

This rank insignia was also carried over to Mess Dress apparently

My questions are these:

a) are there any Highland Regiments that have adopted the "new" rank insignia for either NCMs or officers on either Mess Dress, coatees or band dress (ie maple leaves over the 2-bar chevrons for Master Corporals)?

b) Do all Highland Regiments wear the green coatee?  I think there are some that wear the scarlet doublet instead, the Camerons of Ottawa used to be one.  Can anyone tell me which units wear the coatee?

The Calgary Highlanders have enough coatees just for the colour party, but they are still worn.  The Pipe band wears full dress (green and red doublets) and in about 1990 started using the "new" rank insignia for Master Corporals, with a gold wire maple leaf over the 2-bar chevron, with corporals wearing the new 2-bar chevrons on the doublet also

c) Do all Highland regiment pipe bands wear the "new" NCM rank badges on their doublets (ie Master Corporal badges)?

Mike

The Argylls wear the green coatee with old pattern rank, (With the exception of MCPL's who wear two old pattern chevrons surmounted by a leaf, and our Warrant Officers, who wear a crown)

Our musical brethern wear doublets (green for Pipers and scarlet for drummers)..... P&D MCPLs wear two old pattern chevrons surmounted by a leaf.

Cheers

SB

Back