• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

From CTV NewsNet...US Army swears in first female 4 star general

Ex-Dragoon

Army.ca Fixture
Inactive
Reaction score
http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20081114/dunwoody_general_081114/20081114?hub=World

Dunwoody becomes first U.S. female four-star general
Updated Fri. Nov. 14 2008 12:04 PM ET

The Associated Press

WASHINGTON -- The career of Ann E. Dunwoody ascended Friday from humble beginnings 33 years ago at Fort Sill, Okla., to a peak never before reached by a woman in the U.S. military: four-star general.

At an emotional promotion ceremony, Dunwoody added a fourth star and, looking back on her years in uniform, said it was a credit to the Army that she was given a chance to rise through the ranks in a male-dominated military.

"Thirty-three years after I took the oath as a second lieutenant, I have to tell you this is not exactly how I envisioned my life unfolding," she told a standing-room-only auditorium. "Even as a young kid, all I ever wanted to do was teach physical education and raise a family."

"It was clear to me that my Army experience was just going to be a two-year detour en route to my fitness profession," she added. "So when asked, `Ann, did you ever think you were going to be a general officer, to say nothing about a four-star?' I say, `Not in my wildest dreams.'

"There is no one more surprised than I -- except, of course, my husband. You know what they say, `Behind every successful woman there is an astonished man.'"

Later, at Fort Belvoir, Va. -- her birthplace -- Dunwoody was being sworn in as commander of the Army Materiel Command, responsible for equipping, outfitting and arming all soldiers. Just five months ago, she became the first female deputy commander there.

Dunwoody, 55, has made it clear that she feels no need for special acclaim for her historic achievement.

"The recognition makes her a little bit uncomfortable from the standpoint of the gender aspect -- that we're making a big deal (that) she is the first female general officer," Bryan Whitman, a Pentagon spokesman, said Thursday in announcing that Defense Secretary Robert Gates would attend her promotion ceremony.

When she was nominated by President George W. Bush in June for promotion to four-star rank, Dunwoody issued a statement saying she was humbled.

"I grew up in a family that didn't know what glass ceilings were," she said. "This nomination only reaffirms what I have known to be true about the military throughout my career -- that the doors continue to open for men and women in uniform."

She also told an internal Army publication, "While I may be the first, I know I won't be the last."

Her nomination was confirmed by the Senate in July.

There are 21 female general officers in the Army -- all but four at the one-star rank of brigadier. It was not until 1970 that the Army had its first one-star: Anna Mae Hays, chief of the Army Nurse Corps.

Women now make up about 14 per cent of the active-duty Army and are allowed to serve in a wide variety of assignments. They are still excluded from units designed primarily to engage in direct combat, such as infantry and tank units, but their opportunities have expanded over the past two decades.

Dunwoody received her Army commission after graduating from the State University of New York in 1975.

Her first assignment was to Fort Sill, as supply platoon leader in June 1976, and she remained at Sill in various positions until she was sent to quartermaster officer school at Fort Lee, Va., in July 1980.

She later served in Germany and Saudi Arabia.

After graduating from the Command and General Staff College in 1987, she was assigned to Fort Bragg, N.C., where she became the 82nd Airborne Division's first female battalion commander.

She has numerous decorations, including the Distinguished Service Medal and Defense Superior Service Medal.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gen. Dunwoody's bio. (though not yet updated to reflect her new rank and assignment)

http://www.army.mil/-news/2008/06/30/10506-lt-gen-ann-e-dunwoody-us-army-materiel-command-deputy-commanding-general/
Lt. Gen. Ann E. Dunwoody, U.S. Army Materiel Command deputy commanding general

Jun 30, 2008 BY AMC Public Affairs

Lieutenant General Ann E. Dunwoody assumed the duties as the U.S. Army Materiel Command's Deputy Commanding General on June 17, 2008. AMC is one of the largest commands in the Army, with more than 60,000 employees in 149 locations worldwide, including more than 40 states and 50 countries. Lieutenant General Dunwoody is also currently serving as the Executive Director for Conventional Ammunition.

Lieutenant General Dunwoody received a direct commission as a Quartermaster officer in 1975, after graduating from the State University of New York at Cortland. She later earned a Master of Science Degree in Logistics Management from the Florida Institute of Technology in 1988 and a Master of Science Degree in National Resource Strategy from the Industrial College of the Armed Forces in 1995.

Her command assignments include: the 226th Maintenance Company Fort Sill, OK; 5th QM Detachment (ABN) Kaiserslautern, Germany; the 407th Supply and Service Battalion/ 782d Main Support Battalion (MSB) Fort Bragg, NC; the 10th Division Support Command (DISCOM) Fort Drum, NY; the 1st Corps Support Command Fort Bragg, NC; the Military Traffic Management Command (MTMC)/Military Surface Deployment and Distribution Command (SDDC) Alexandria, VA; and the Combined Arms Support Command (CASCOM) Fort Lee, VA.

Her key Staff Assignments include 82d Division Parachute officer; strategic planner for the Chief of Staff of the Army (CSA); Executive Officer to the Director, Defense Logistics Agency; and Deputy Chief of Staff for Logistics G-4. She deployed with the 82d as the Division Parachute Officer for Desert Shield and Desert Storm from September 1990 to March 1991, and in 2001, as 1st COSCOM Commander she deployed the Log Task Force in support of OEF1 and stood up the Joint Logistics Command in Uzbekistan in support of CJTF-180. As Commander of SDDC, she supported the largest deployment and redeployment of U.S. forces since WWII.

Her awards and decorations include: the Distinguished Service Medal with Oak Leaf Cluster; Defense Superior Service Medal; Legion of Merit with two Oak Leaf Clusters; Defense Meritorious Service Medal; Meritorious Service Medal with Silver Oak Leaf Cluster; Army Commendation Medal; the Army Achievement Medal; the National Defense Service Medal with Bronze Star; SWASM (2 campaign stars); and the Kuwait Liberation Medal. Her badges include the Master Parachutist Badge and the Parachute Rigger Badge.

She was recognized as a 2001 Distinguished Alumni for Cortland State SUNY, designated as the 2004 recipient of the National Defense Transportation Association’s DoD Distinguished Service Award, and was the 2007 recipient of Military Order of the World Wars (MOWW) Distinguished Service Award.

LTG Dunwoody has been married to Colonel Craig Brotchie, USAF (Retired) for 18 years. They have one puppy, Barney.

As of August 2008

Back