• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Freedom Convoy protests [Split from All things 2019-nCoV]

Yup, well aware. People have hated cops for as long as there have been cops. With that said, I’ll stick to what happens and what’s observable in Canada.

From an ideologically motivated violent extremism standpoint, I know where I perceive the greater threat to come from. In terms of my own safety on the job, I’m only worried about words to the extent that they incite or embolden actions.
Fair enough. I just hope you guys haven’t taken your eye off of those Extinction Rebellion knuckleheads. If you think they’re just a bunch of bong water drinking granola smokers, there’s a shock coming. There’s potential for some next level crazy with those guys.

Fair enough. I just hope you guys haven’t taken your eye off of those Extinction Rebellion knuckleheads. If you think they’re just a bunch of bong water drinking granola smokers, there’s a shock coming. There’s potential for some next level crazy with those guys.
Yup. They all have a Taliban/Al Queda level of belief in the cause.

When they are that committed, they aren’t really going to stand around and debate peacefully with people who disagree with them.

Unfortunately, they still regularly get tongue bathed by the CBC and certain politicians (“oh, but the cause they believe in is so noble”). Remember that when things start blowing up and people start dying…

I would say that the far-right and the far-left have the potential to be equally dangerous, they just don't always target the same people.
... or at the same time, necessarily.

I seriously think Trump and COVID broke a lot of peoples’ brains. I don’t know how else to explain this mass psychosis.

There are shrinks trying to do the same:

What attracts people to Trump? What is their animus or driving force?

The reasons are multiple and varied, but in my recent public-service book, Profile of a Nation, I have outlined two major emotional drives: narcissistic symbiosis and shared psychosis. Narcissistic symbiosis refers to the developmental wounds that make the leader-follower relationship magnetically attractive. The leader, hungry for adulation to compensate for an inner lack of self-worth, projects grandiose omnipotence—while the followers, rendered needy by societal stress or developmental injury, yearn for a parental figure. When such wounded individuals are given positions of power, they arouse similar pathology in the population that creates a “lock and key” relationship.

Hate to beat a dead horse, but that's because education is a provincial responsibility and so there are no national standards for it. Plus the fact that many provincial governments will cut education (as well as health care) spending as the first thing to try and cut costs . Why do we need a well educated (and healthy) population? :p Many provincial governments don't seem to think we do.;)
In general, you're right about the bit-of-a-patchwork-quilt thing happening, but be careful what you wish for.

National standards are great when you agree with who's in the Ottawa wheelhouse when they're made, but it becomes "propaganda", "indoctrination" or "grooming" when you're not happy with who's in charge in Ottawa. Think of how differently Liberal, Conservative, or even NDP governments would approach creating "national education standards" - and how differently you'd feel hearing each party say that phrase.

Also, given how different the situations are in different parts of the country, it may only be possible to come up with quite vague general principles everyone can agree on.

Ugh. Timely- new info out on the two shooters in Saanich. Looks like this may well have been more than a robbery. Apparently a decided anti government bent to their social media.

I hope and trust that a good eye is being kept on them too. IMVE stuff is outside what I personally work in; it’s just something I pay attention to.

Political violence and oppositional defiance disorder has always been a mainstay of the revolutionary left. Nothing new here.

What is new, particularly in North America, is political violence and oppositional defiance disorder on the reactionary right.

Mainstream conservatives haven’t tried to get in front of these reactionary forces since a certain Austrian corporal started to become popular. All those mainstream conservatives thought they could ride the tiger for their own purposes but it didn’t work out well for them in the end.

>What attracts people to Trump? What is their animus or driving force?

Never ascribe to psychology what can be attributed to transactional politics.

"I'll choose judges from this list."

"Alrighty then."

Ugh. Timely- new info out on the two shooters in Saanich. Looks like this may well have been more than a robbery. Apparently a decided anti government bent to their social media.

I hope and trust that a good eye is being kept on them too. IMVE stuff is outside what I personally work in; it’s just something I pay attention to.
Why am I not surprised? I had this in the back of my mind since the story broke.

Also, given how different the situations are in different parts of the country, it may only be possible to come up with quite vague general principles everyone can agree on.
That is true. I wasn't proposing that the federal government come up with curriculum and course content, but they could come up with a general national standard of education. Something like - by the time kids finish elementary school, they should have basic knowledge of this, this, and this; and proficiency at a certain level in certain skills. -by the time a student graduates high school they should have a good understanding of how the government is supposed to work, history of this country (and general world history), etc. Just come up with a minimum standard that all provinces need to achieve, but it's up to them how to get there.
It would be nice to see the gov't take some leadership in establishing national standards in education, but that would require good leadership and ability to work with the provinces in a non-partisan manner. But we all know this won't happen. Most provinces are so worried about protecting their own powers, most wouldn't even entertain any discussion on the matter.
All I'm saying is it would be nice if it was able to be achieved, but realize that it will probably never happen.

... It would be nice to see the gov't take some leadership in establishing national standards in education, but that would require good leadership and ability to work with the provinces in a non-partisan manner ...
Agree with you on the "dare to dream" element of this bit.

I suspect the kids get all the civics they should know in social studies, unless stuff was dropped from the curriculum since I was in high school. What is more likely is that the knowledge is displaced/subsumed by all the social/political noise, particularly people pushing the way things "ought" to be rather than the way the functional processes are laid down.

That is true. I wasn't proposing that the federal government come up with curriculum and course content, but they could come up with a general national standard of education. Something like - by the time kids finish elementary school, they should have basic knowledge of this, this, and this; and proficiency at a certain level in certain skills. -by the time a student graduates high school they should have a good understanding of how the government is supposed to work, history of this country (and general world history), etc. Just come up with a minimum standard that all provinces need to achieve, but it's up to them how to get there.
It would be nice to see the gov't take some leadership in establishing national standards in education, but that would require good leadership and ability to work with the provinces in a non-partisan manner. But we all know this won't happen. Most provinces are so worried about protecting their own powers, most wouldn't even entertain any discussion on the matter.
All I'm saying is it would be nice if it was able to be achieved, but realize that it will probably never happen.

With the word "should", they become guidelines, not standards or policy, and would have minimal value beyond employing many new federal bureaucrats in 'busy work'. As in most things Canadian, anything flowing down from the federal to provincial level must be accompanied by a pile-o-dough and the inevitable province or two declaring 'just give us the money - we'll do what we want'.

Good. Because I never understood how some people could be filled with so much hate.

Willie Sutton explained his motive for bank robbery. But, their motive seems less clear.

Back