• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Freedom Convoy protests [Split from All things 2019-nCoV]

Technically true but being 5F released still comes with the stigma that you're being kicked out of the military for being junk.
The end of the day it is still an honourable release. Very few people would be able to make the distinction nor would anybody ever really ask, what item of category did you release under?

The end of the day it is still an honourable release. Very few people would be able to make the distinction nor would anybody ever really ask, what item of category did you release under?
That's true. I've never held people kicked out 5F as having an over abundance of common sense. I can imagine them using someone from the military as a character reference only to be told that said person was "kicked out 5F"

F - Unsuitable for Further Service.
Applies to the release of an officer or non-commissioned member who, either wholly or chiefly because of factors within his control, develops personal weakness or behavior or has domestic or other personal problems that seriously impair his usefulness to or impose an excessive administrative burden on the Canadian Forces

Not someone I would consider hiring.

Still, I'm sure a lot of people with 5F releases slip by and wow civilian employers with their veteran status.

That's true. I've never held people kicked out 5F as having an over abundance of common sense. I can imagine them using someone from the military as a character reference only to be told that said person was "kicked out 5F"

Not someone I would consider hiring.

Still, I'm sure a lot of people with 5F releases slip by and wow civilian employers with their veteran status.
Yes but at the end of the day there are almost no employers asking what was your release item? Considering the amount of people in the CAF that have no clue what release item means is means there is likely no impediment to people being gainfully employed once released. Hell, many CAF folks think that a 5F means you can never work for the government again which is myth.

I’ve had many police recruiters call us about former members that apply to them and ask about their 5fs. And some of those former members call to try and get that rectified. Turns out some employers aren’t interested in our people that suck.

Jimmy can probably get a job with some mercenary group, or something like Blackwater (now Xe Services) and that would probably suit his personality just fine. ;) And, yes, I do know him.

Looks like 4 arrested. Assaulting officers and of course one breach of bail conditions…

Play stupid games…

Wild guess, I bet they saw someone breaching, went for them, and the fight was on.
I was going to ask “are some people stupid enough to believe they can tussle and push around cops and not end up eating pavement?”…but then I saw tall bald dude do exactly that…

“Here’s your prize!”

Just a personal opinion but Regardless of the cause, the NWM should never be place for protest or political activity.

It’s becoming more and more a prop and a conflict area. Sad.
Perhaps we need to look at ways to make at building permanent walls around the plaza with gates that can be shut at specific times. It shouldn't have to come to that, but if that is what it takes to protect it.

Perhaps we need to look at ways to make at building permanent walls around the plaza with gates that can be shut at specific times. It shouldn't have to come to that, but if that is what it takes to protect it.
I would be very upset if it came to that, however the way we have behaved as a nation (some of us) may leave us no choice.

Every time I visit Ottawa I am drawn there. And I swear I can see my grandfather in that memorial.

No need for this. Almost all of the time the site is treated respectfully. Today’s tantrum theatrics are a gross aberration. Keeping the site open to the public and passers by outweighs the very rare time where some access control is called for.

Just a personal opinion but Regardless of the cause, the NWM should never be place for protest or political activity.

Off topic and very, very personal opinion, but, since we are renovating the Parliament buildings anyway - and assuming, as I do, that the project I going to go waaaaay over budget and finish years late - then maybe we could disinter the Unknown Soldier from the National War Memorial and place his tomb inside Centre Block, in the Hall of Honour.

First: it's an appropriate place - so is the War Memorial, I agree;

Second: access can be controlled - a lot like access to Westminster Abby (where the UK's Tomb is located) is controlled - but without charge;

Third: it takes the Unknown Soldier away from potential political protesters but makes the Tomb available to Canadians almost every day of the year for a reasonable time each day.

Attachments

• 2a45a4d837314fc45956ebd94b9d5d76.jpeg
    2a45a4d837314fc45956ebd94b9d5d76.jpeg
    78.2 KB · Views: 2
  • abbeyknave_half.jpeg
    abbeyknave_half.jpeg
    247.6 KB · Views: 2

When your protest movement includes a very vocal you should thank me for my service group of veterans, then the memorial becomes iconography that you can tactically leverage to support your protest identity branding.

Maybe the real problem is veterans using that branding as a tool for political influence.

When your protest movement includes a very vocal you should thank me for my service group of veterans, then the memorial becomes iconography that you can tactically leverage to support your protest identity branding.

Maybe the real problem is veterans using that branding as a tool for political influence.
This has happened before, in the 1920s, when large groups of veterans used their status as WW1 veterans to make demands (sometimes violently) from the Government of the day.

Some of it has got to do with entitled people, doing entitled stuff- no amount of “thank-you for your service” is ever enough for that crowd. Some of it comes from the Feds playing fast and loose with the social contract of looking after veterans (the “you broke them, you bought them” theory).

But I fully agree that the National War Memorial should be off limits everyone’s politics.

Off topic and very, very personal opinion, but, since we are renovating the Parliament buildings anyway - and assuming, as I do, that the project I going to go waaaaay over budget and finish years late - then maybe we could disinter the Unknown Soldier from the National War Memorial and place his tomb inside Centre Block, in the Hall of Honour.

First: it's an appropriate place - so is the War Memorial, I agree;

Second: access can be controlled - a lot like access to Westminster Abby (where the UK's Tomb is located) is controlled - but without charge;

Third: it takes the Unknown Soldier away from potential political protesters but makes the Tomb available to Canadians almost every day of the year for a reasonable time each day.
I disagree, I like having it out on a major plaza where a lot of people stumble on it and take a few moments to pay respects and reflect. Putting it in Parliament would take it well off the beaten path.

I disagree, I like having it out on a major plaza where a lot of people stumble on it and take a few moments to pay respects and reflect. Putting it in Parliament would take it well off the beaten path.
On the other hand, it might serve as a daily reminder to MPs as to the consequences of their decisions, if the tomb was in Centre Block…

Back